Malwarebytes won't install / run / VisualBasic errors

I've been trying to help a friend install Malwarebytes to run a scan, and I can't get it to install. Right around the time it says "Finishing", it pops up a few errors, particularly Run-Time Error 440, and a Run-Time Error 0. It then complains that ATL.DLL and MSVBVM60.DLL can't be found.

The Malwarebytes files actually install correctly, but when I try to run it, it gives me the same run-time errors.

I've reinstalled VB runtimes, to no avail. Thinking it was a malware problem, I tried using SuperAntiSpyware and it came up clean. There is no tdssserv.sys in my device manager, ComboFix and SDFix seem to come up clean, although I can post logs if need be.

I can't figure out why Malwarebytes won't install / run correctly. Any ideas?

• Root Admin

It really depends on if it's an installation issue or if it's a Malware infection issue.

Potential installation fixes

Potential Malware infection issues to review

If neither of the Above work to resolve the issues then please follow the instructions below.

Please note that the site is quite busy and is possible that it may take a few days before someone is able to respond.

If no one has replied within 48 hours please post an update for review request in your original post.

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.
  • Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review
  • NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

As a last resort you could also try this.

NOTES:

1. This is NOT for use by everyone and should ONLY be used by users that appear to have a CLEAN system but are still having issues installing MBAM.
  2. It should only be run on English Windows XP 32 Bit.
  3. If it does work and you can now scan with the program you should update and do a scan, then remove it and do an install with the normal PUBLISHED program from Malwarebytes.
  4. A copy of the Official 1.34 setup program should be included in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder named: mbam-setup.exe

Please download and run this alternative installer making sure you close all other applications as it will restart the computer when it's finished.

Download here:
fixmbam.exe