Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

Hello. I am running Malwarebytes on an XP SP3 system with Zone Alarm & Avast. All was working fine up until the latest Malwarebytes program update.

I have uninstalled, run the cleaner exe, installed again - twice. The issue is with the update.

Problem - Windows boots and loads malwarebytes then stops. I have to do a hard reset. I have had to go into safe mode to disable the start with windows option. I ran a scan fine in safe mode but am uncertain how well if at all a scan will run normally.

I have read the other threads and the suggestions simply don't solve the issue. Any help would be appreciated though I suspect the update itself is the core issue.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

@compunerd

So you're running Avast and Zone Alarm as well?

Well never heard of the mouse being affected.

Please run the following scanner and post back the logs

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Older laptop with XP Pro fully updated - similar to 1st post this thread - updated MWB and rebooted, system boots ok.

mbamservice status running, but no CPU time used and no icon in notification area.

When I try to start scanner, it crashes and get the "send error report to MS" popup.

I'm only running MS-SE AV.

There seems to be several other threads on this update (12/27/2011) having problems.

• Root Admin

@SirStrider

Download
DDS

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

I have the same problem as the first two users. Malwarebytes Pro, XP, Avira, Zonealarm. Updated Malwarebytes and computer basically froze, mouse moves but nothing works, no clicks, windows key, ctrl-alt-delete, nada.

Hard reboot, froze somewhere during startup but after icons loaded and some activity.

Hard reboot, safe mode, mbam-clean. Reboot, we're good. Disable avira and secunia, install mbam, we're good. Register for pro and turn on real time protection, frozen.

Hard reboot, cheated and just killed mbam exes through task. Read your above post above about disabling ZA as well, so did so. mbam-clean, reboot, we're good. Disable avira, disable ZA, install mbam, we're good. Register mbam, we're good. Re-enable ZA, frozen.

So I'm guessing conflict is with ZA, specifically I'm still running 9.2 instead of 2012.

Hi,

Same problem for me, the new 1.60.0.1800 version is totally incompatible with my ZoneAlarm 9.3.037 !

I've been obliged to don't start ZA to get my XP Pro Sp2 working...

By the way, why MB don't give the choice to upgrade or not?

Hi,

Same problem for me, the new 1.60.0.1800 version is totally incompatible with my ZoneAlarm 9.3.037 !

I've been obliged to don't start ZA to get my XP Pro Sp2 working...

By the way, why MB don't give the choice to upgrade or not?

If you are still running SP2 (XP Pro Sp2) support for XP2 ended awhile back.

First thing you need to do is visit Windows Updates and get SP3

I'm sure the MBAM Team is looking / fixing the issues with MBAM and ZA.

If you are still running SP2 (XP Pro Sp2) support for XP2 ended awhile back.

First thing you need to do is visit Windows Updates and get SP3

I'm very happy with my XP Pro Sp2, and don't want to use Sp3 or even Seven... :)

I'm sure the MBAM Team is looking / fixing the issues with MBAM and ZA.

I hope so because I haven't seen such a Windows crash since a while... :o

@compunerd

So you're running Avast and Zone Alarm as well?

Well never heard of the mouse being affected.

Download
DDS

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

I'm using AVG & ZA. Here's the DDS logs.

attach.txt

dds.txt

Maybe something a little more specific about the problem on this machine will help in troubleshooting:

XP Home SP3

Avast free 6.0.1367.0

MBAM Pro: as viewed in properties in program files, version 1.60.0.59

After installing the latest version and rebooting to complete installation, an error window popped up stating that mbamseervice.exe was uninterrupted unexpectedly and to see event log for details.

All subsequent reboots repeat the above. MBAM will not launch from the system tray, desktop shortcut, or manually from executables located within the program files folder. Nothing happens as is confirmed by Task Manager.

Does that explanation help?

Hello. I am running Malwarebytes on an XP SP3 system with Zone Alarm & Avast. All was working fine up until the latest Malwarebytes program update.

I have uninstalled, run the cleaner exe, installed again - twice. The issue is with the update.

Problem - Windows boots and loads malwarebytes then stops. I have to do a hard reset. I have had to go into safe mode to disable the start with windows option. I ran a scan fine in safe mode but am uncertain how well if at all a scan will run normally.

I have read the other threads and the suggestions simply don't solve the issue. Any help would be appreciated though I suspect the update itself is the core issue.

Thank you for your time.

I am also having a similar problem after updating to 1.60. I have windows xp sp3 installed and I run Microsoft Security Essentials. When I rebooted after installation, MBAM crashes and prompts me to send an error report. For what its worth, below is the error report details it would like to send.

szAppName : mbamservice.exe szAppVer : 1.60.0.25

szModName : mbamcore.dll szModVer : 1.60.0.52 offset : 00060ae0

Yep Sirs, and/or Madams, I am resembling the above remarks.

I also run micro-security essentials and ZA(free). Windows XP sp3 & FF bowser (have ie8, but never use it)

I don't activate MB except on occasion, just to run a check.

T'was fine until this recent update.

Seen the clean proggie and used that, thinking it would resolve the issue. Worked fine updateing and all UNTIL, I enabled protection module. Then she froze up tighter then a welldiggers arse in Idaho :)

Should I disable ZA and try that?

Thanks

I am also having a similar problem after updating to 1.60. I have windows xp sp3 installed and I run Microsoft Security Essentials. When I rebooted after installation, MBAM crashes and prompts me to send an error report. For what its worth, below is the error report details it would like to send.

szAppName : mbamservice.exe szAppVer : 1.60.0.25

szModName : mbamcore.dll szModVer : 1.60.0.52 offset : 00060ae0

Sorry for all the posting. I should have been more clear. I had not tried to clean/re-install. I just did and it seems to be working fine now. Hopefully the problem is fixed.

the service was stopped on both machines i have this running on, started service on one machine but still won't start on boot (loads by clock) checked service and is running and same error signature as above. on other machine i uninstalled 1.6 and reinstalled older version and works free version but need to find key to see if works paid. severe problem with this update atleast on xp and i have xp pro sp3.

thanks again

charles