Add silent scan to scheduled update flash scan

Hoov

One little feature that I would like to see added to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is when an update is scheduled, and running a flash scan is done after the update, it would be nice if it could be done silently, or done with a small indicator near the system tray.

The way it is right now, the full screen opens up.

If I run a scheduled flash, quick or full scan it is done silently, just not when a flash scan is done because of an update.

By the way, great tool. Keep up the work.

Greetings :)

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something we are considering, however, do keep in mind that the reason this scan is not silent is because it is triggered by an update and doesn't have options to remove or deal with infections in any way automatically the way that normal scheduled scans do. The logic behind that is that if your system is already infected with something that was previously not detected by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but is now detected by the latest database update which has just taken place, this flash scan which runs right after an update will let you know by showing you that something has been detected on your system.

If an item has been detected by the Flash scan, then we highly recommend immediately performing a Quick scan to do a more thorough check for infections and then removing any items which are detected by the Quick scan.

That being said, we appreciate your feedback, and I especially like the idea of having it run from the tray and then simply having it show a notification that infections have been found. That would allow us to then prompt the user to perform a Quick scan so that they can make certain that they got all of the infections. I will recommend this to our development team for their consideration.

Guest Seagull

I was wondering this myself also even though I don't mind the pop up window from the flash scan since it does not interrupt me if I am doing something in my browser. Thank you exile360 for the information. :)

The popup does make sense. I wouldn't even mind the full window except that it steals focus. If it would just flash on the taskbar that would work as well. I may just be unlucky, but it always seems to start when I am in the middle of typing something.

Guest Seagull

Hmm, I'm not sure why it steals focus from you, for me I see the M icon in the taskbar flashing and it runs in the back and my browser window always stays on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree this needs looking at. I love the idea of the (sometimes very) frequent updates and a flash scan but on Win7 64Bit it drives us nuts as the scan window always pops up across whatever you are doing. It is ALWAYS in front of what ever browser or screen you are using, my son is always screaming at it when it comes up over games.

• 2 months later...

I agree, this is highly irritating for me, so much that I've considered ditching the program. I can be typing an email, chatting with someone, playing a game, viewing a website/filling out forms and the friggin' thing pops up over-top of what I'm doing and interrupts me. I've never had an anti-virus, anti-malware or any other security type software that couldn't be adjusted to work silently in the background. I also use Windows 7/64 bit.

I surely hope you will consider this in an update. It's annoying as hell. You should hear me cussing the program every time it happens.

I agree, this is highly irritating for me, so much that I've considered ditching the program. I can be typing an email, chatting with someone, playing a game, viewing a website/filling out forms and the friggin' thing pops up over-top of what I'm doing and interrupts me. I've never had an anti-virus, anti-malware or any other security type software that couldn't be adjusted to work silently in the background. I also use Windows 7/64 bit.

I surely hope you will consider this in an update. It's annoying as hell. You should hear me cussing the program every time it happens.

I understand your frustration, however, if it's interrupting your normal use of the computer, then my recommendation would be to change your scheduled update so that it does not run the Flash Scan after each successful update and instead set a daily or even more frequent silent Quick Scan. This way, it won't open interrupting your work and you can simply review the scan logs at your leisure to see if anything was detected during your scans.