Link/URL scanner

It would be amazing if the mBAM team could include a link/url scanner in mBAM PRO. This would be a great addition because it would reassure people that the website they are traveling to is safe and reliabe. The link scanner could be on the user interface and a new tab could be made for it. It could kind of resemble the Norton URL scanner. But of course, whatever mBAM does, it does better, so there could be some unique changes but the overall design could come from the Norton URL scanner. :)

Thanks for the suggestion :)

We might do something like that in the future, but currently our malicious website blocking mechanism is much more important for me. It's something unique to our product, and there's plenty of URL scanners out there already (Norton, McAfee, Web of Trust, AVG etc., not to mention the capabilities built into newer versions of Internet Explorer).

I cannot speak for Malwarebytes and their plans on this matter or not, but there is a website dedicated to helping this cause:

http://www.longurl.org/

There's dozens of sites and tools out there that offer this such as the ones Exile and MT provided as well as others like Virus Total, Url Void, wepawet, Trend Protect etc. The ip blocking feature of Malwarebytes Pro is especially powerful so I don't believe you would get much benefit out of a url scanner/blocker.

Yes, I guess. I just thought it would be a cool new feature. I don't trust VirusTotal with URL scanning after it said that "cursormania" has a 41:1 chance of being clean. That's absurd because everyone knows that cursormania gives people horrible viruses which eventually make their systems unusuable. All the big-time antivirus suites (including Bitdefender, Kaspersky, avast!, and Trend Micro) found it clean. That is what makes me uneasy.

• 8 years later...

Just awhile ago, while using your browserguard, I was attempting to find a way to scan a bitly link, or at least find out where it lead, so that I could tell what the contents of a spam email actually linked to.

Sure, it's not necessary to include such a feature when you already do so much to keep people that are simply clicking links safe, but I avoided a review because of it. Preventing people from going to suspicious websites works well, but the shortened urls we have today may make people simply avoid clicking them.

I decided to come here and voice my opinion rather than making a less than 5 star rating on the store and leaving it at that.

• Like 1