Update without being Admin user

When I run MBAM as a normal user I can't update the database (it's greyed out) and have to log in as an Admin. THis is a PITA - is there any way of configuring MBAM so that I can update at the same time as running it?

Hi:

Yes, there is. :)

This recent post by our forum admin explains things a bit, as does this KB topic: I'm trying to update but the 'Check for Updates' button is grayed out or unable to be clicked, why?

Essentially, one either needs to install the program from a Windows account with Admin privileges, or one needs to "Run As Administrator".

If you cleanly reinstall the program with Admin privileges and register it, you can then schedule tasks (updates and scans) to run silently from the system account,

Clean install instructions are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process

Hope this helps, :)

daledoc1

Thanks for the links.

The KB article told me that all I have to do is to change the icon to "Run as Admin" and it now updates fine. Saves a lot of hassle. I still have to put in the password, but at least I can get on with other work while it's scanning. I realise that if I buy the product rather than using the free version I can get round the password issue as well.

• Root Admin

Actually running the program in compatibility mode with "Run as administrator" can often produce unpredictable results.  

If you run the following scanner we can check and see if it is running that way or not.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Thanks for the links.

The KB article told me that all I have to do is to change the icon to "Run as Admin" and it now updates fine. Saves a lot of hassle. I still have to put in the password, but at least I can get on with other work while it's scanning. I realise that if I buy the product rather than using the free version I can get round the password issue as well.

Just to add....

As Ron above has mentioned that can cause issues, please provide the logs he requested....

Also the article does not state to change the icon to "Run as Admin" it states to right click the icon and then select "Run as Administrator"

Alternatively, you can right click on the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware desktop icon, and then select "Run as..." (on Windows XP) or "Run as administrator" (on Windows Vista or Windows 7). A dialog box will open. Enter the password (if required). Once you have done that, you should be able to update without any issue.

• Root Admin

I do not see any core OS files listed or our program listed which is good.
I would highly recommend removing these entries though and seeing if the computer works okay without them being set there. If at all possible its best to run programs without any compatibility settings. If it really has to have them it's okay but if not then it should not be set.

Compatibility Flag Settings (Any MBAM file listings should be removed):
=======================================================================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

D:\PC\Spambayes\spambayes-1.0.4.exe
C:\Old programs\Ameol2\Ameol32.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\PC Probe II\Probe2.exe
D:\Admin\PC\Ameol\a2562063.exe
D:\Common data\PC\Irfanview\iview428_setup.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_22\bin\javacpl.exe
D:\PC Software\Windows SDK\winsdk_web (2).exe
D:\PC Software\PC Utilities\Grep\grep-2.5.1a-2-setup.exe
D:\PC Software\Ethereal\ethereal-setup-0.99.0.exe
D:\PC Software\Hauptwerk\blanchet_egal.sfx.exe
C:\PROGRA~2\FOXITS~1\FOXITR~1\FOXITR~1.EXE

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_22\bin\javacpl.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iriver\iriver Music Manager\iriverMusicManager.exe

You also appear to possibly be running old versions of Java which can easily lead to your computer getting infected.  I would recommend uninstall ALL versions of Java.  You can run the following tool to help remove Java.  First try to uninstall from the Control Panel, Add/Remove and then use the tool to finish up.

Please download JavaRa-1.16 and save it to your computer.

• Double click to open the zip file and then select all and choose Copy.
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop named RemoveJava and paste the files into this new folder.
  • Quit all browsers and other running applications.
  • Right-click on JavaRa.exe in RemoveJava folder and choose Run as administrator to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

Thanks.

To start at the bottom - removing java is a non-starter - I use it for writing programs and am not prepared to change to yet another language. Geting rid of older versions is probably worth while. I see that Java is now onto update 40 - I should upgrade (new versions seem to come out daily these days, and the automatic update doesn't work on 64-bit machines).

If the Javas uninstall from the control panel, do I need to use your tool - there doesn't seem to be anything which says what it does? That won't happen for a few days, though. I'll send the log file when it does.

Some of the programs need to run in compatibility mode (sorry - they're the ones I don't write). At least two should have been removed when I removed the programs - sloppy uninstall programming. Some probably don't - I've no idea why they're set to, so I'll try changing them, but they're programs I hardly ever use anyway. The ones that I do use regularly need privileges (again, I suspect sloppy programming).

• Root Admin

No if you're actually programming in Java then you should not run JavaRA and you need to be careful about versions. Java much like Visual Basic can easily break your code between versions. But older versions have been exploited and can be dangerous to use as websites use that flaw to infect computers.

As for the compatibility settings - that's up to you I only mentioned it as Windows itself if it "thinks" something went wrong during install or launching of the program can automatically make an entry even though it was a fluke run and does not need an entry. The only real concern was that our own program and no core OS files be listed there which they are not.

Cheers

Tell me about Java breaking between versions... BTGTGTMM

I didn't know that WIndows sometime changes settings without even asking you. But most people (possibly including myself) would be confused by the question, unless it were properly worded - something that software writers aren't always too good at doing. After all, they know what they're talking about, so obviously you should too. </rant>