Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

I'm having the exact same issue as Zaire! I did the same thing Zaire did, removed, ran clnr, reinstalled, free version works but when I register and activate protection module, it deactivates my mouse forcing me to do a manual shutdown.

What Anti-Virus are you using and did you setup the required file exclusions for it?

I've finally rebooted, allowing the installation of 1.60.1.1000 to complete. I unticked "Start with windows" though, for the protection module, and started it manually, just in case.

So far, so good - that's on my old Windows 2000 SP4 machine, with the older ZA free though, and I haven't had the problems on this one. I haven't been using the XP machine for a few days, so I haven't tried it on that yet. I'll report back if there are any problems with either. I guess they're now rare, so there's little point in filling this thread up with posts about not having a problem :)

• 4 weeks later...

Have issues updating new version with avast 7,avira and avg and running no other malware or spyware on my laptop. Unable to update even after several clean reinstalls of malwarebytes. Using xp sp3 too.

The update has been such a disaster that I've had to ditch malwarebytes altogether after using it for last 3 or 4 years,a real shame.

orionsbelt it is not a good idea to run more than one antivirus software at one time, this could cause issues and lockups as well as prevent you from updating software including Malwarebytes. As your statement at this time states, we are to assume you are using all three. Only use one antivirus program and let us know which one you have now.

Hello, LostHearts:

Please carefully follow the instructions in this sticky topic HERE.

The first steps will be to perform a "clean upgrade" of MBAM to the most current version.

Then, please post back and let us know if that resolved your issues.

HTH,

daledoc1

PS Also, I am just a home user, but I know I echo the sentiments of many of the MBAM staff and other pros here to advise AGAINST the use of "registry cleaners". They often cause far more problems and damage than they fix. For example, please refer to this recent topic.

Hello, LostHearts:

Please carefully follow the instructions in this sticky topic HERE.

The first steps will be to perform a "clean upgrade" of MBAM to the most current version.

Then, please post back and let us know if that resolved your issues.

HTH,

daledoc1

PS Also, I am just a home user, but I know I echo the sentiments of many of the MBAM staff and other pros here to advise AGAINST the use of "registry cleaners". They often cause far more problems and damage than they fix. For example, please refer to this recent topic.

Sorry for my delay in replying. My hubby had to have emergency surgery and am just now catching up with things.

The uninstall fix for Malwarebytes worked like a charm. I also immediately ran a scan and no malware was detected. Also, when I saw what the registry cleaners were going to remove, it seemed useless and such a small amount as it would have made no difference at all. A month ago or so I did run CC Cleaner and it removed some stray McAfee and Winamp files that hung around even after I had deleted those programs. I probably could have done this myself if did a search for any remaining files (I was too lazy). I want to thank you for your reply.

However, I immediately experienced some problems with certain games after the fresh install and scan of MBAM. Since this may or may not be related to MBAM, I think it more appropriate to start a new topic rather than continue in this one, since MBAM is running for me once again.

orionsbelt it is not a good idea to run more than one antivirus software at one time, this could cause issues and lockups as well as prevent you from updating software including Malwarebytes. As your statement at this time states, we are to assume you are using all three. Only use one antivirus program and let us know which one you have now.

You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I first had a problem with Avast 7 then I uninstalled both before trying Avira and Malwarebytes before uninstalling both and finally trying AVG and Malwarebytes before clean uninstalling Malwarebytes agai.

I currently run AVG and superantispyware as a bit of a back up now that I cant use Malwarebytes any more.

Sorry for not being clearer.

I'm having a similar problem on a clean install of Windows XP SP2, with the latest version of Avast. I installed MB 1.60.1.1000 ... installs fine, but when it tries to update, the update box comes up, then disappears. Tried running a quick scan, and MB crashes after a few seconds into the scan.

Tried uninstalling, restarting, running mbam-clean, restarting, then re-installing ... still the same. Tried disabling Avast ... no change. I finally installed an old version I had around, 1.50.0.0, and it works fine.

• Root Admin

Hello and welcome to Malwarebytes

Well it sounds more like you might have an infection possibly - however running Windows XP SP2 is just asking to get infected now days.

You should have been on Windows XP SP3 many years ago.

You really need to get your system checked for possible virus/malware first and if clean install Service Pack 3 for Windows. There have been hundreds of patches dealing with security flaws over the years that fixes them.

Here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems or infections you may have.
  • Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Follow this topic and choose Instantly,
    so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE: Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at
support@malwarebytes.org
or
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
Malwarebytes Premium Consumer Services
partner, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

• Root Admin

Okay I'm now going to close this topic as it's really run its course and is no longer really valid for any issues related to what it was originally started for.

If you're having issues and want assistance please create your own new topic and ask for help.

Thank you everyone.