How To Remove MBAM Program Folder for re-install

Hello, I recently had to perform a system restore. After the restore was completed I found that the malwarebytes program was not functioning. The program was missing in the windows add/delete function but the folder was still located under program files. Windows would not let me delete the folder.

I uploaded Malwarebytes hoping that I could perform a clean uninstall and re-install. After removing the program through the add/delete program function the Malarebytes folder still remained in the program files. I received the following message: "Error deleting file or file folder" "Cannot delete mbamext.dll Access is denied.

I only want to remove all remnants of the old program so that it can be installed fresh.

Any help is appreciated

try this

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Hello Prairie dog, I tryed to download the program you referenced and I got the following message:

"SHGetValue failed with error code 0"

The Malwarebytes program is not currently showing in the add/delete programs. The folder with files is still listed in the Program Files section

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.

• Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it's finished scanning look under HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers and find MBAMShlExt and right-click on it and select Delete
  • Then try deleting the file and if it won't let you, then reboot your PC and try deleting it again ;)

Please let me know how it goes, thanks.

Hello exile360, I ran the Sysinternals program and located the file under:

HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers

I deleted the entry for Malwarebyted as instructed.

I went back to program files and received the same error code when I tryed to delete the folder

"Error deleting File or Folder" Cannot dete mbamext.dll Access is denied

In the Sysinternals program, Malwarebytes is also listed under:

HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers

I have not tryed to reboot and attempt to delete again yet. Do I need to also delete the entry for the above before rebooting?

Thank you very much for your help

Hello again ;) .

It wouldn't delete because that file was loaded under the process explorer.exe as a context menu handler (meaning the right-click Scan with Malwarebytes' option). Since you were never able to do the normal uninstall of the software, that file was still registered and loaded. We could have killed explorer.exe and forced deletion, but using Autoruns is much easier and safer :D .

Yes, installing the software should be just fine now. If it does have issues after installation, then follow the instructions for using the mbam-clean.exe tool that prairie dog posted.

Thanks again, It would have been very useful to have you around when my PC crashed last month. After 5 years of smooth sailing I contracted a nasty virus called "System Security". It is one of those viruses that looks like anti-virus software. I don't know how I picked it up, but it made a mess of my computer. Since I use this PC for business I had to call someone to make an on-site call. They re-formated the PC and re-installed the programs from the original disks.

It has never been the same since. I am now using AVG anti-virus instead of McAfee (which was free from Comcast but didn't seem to do a very good job) and Malwarebytes. The only annoying problem that keeps cropping up is with Explorer IE7. When my software was re-installed it defaulted back to IE6. I downloaded IE7 from Microsoft. It now occasionally hangs with the little twirly thing in the toobar and a white background. You never know when it will do it. I can visit all of the regular sites I go to for hours or days. Then out of the blue it starts hanging when trying to connect to a different site. The only way to get it working again is to reboot. It will then be fine again for minutes, hours or days but you can almost count on it hanging it some point.

I have read about this problem on many forums and everyone seems to have an answer but they are all different as to what causes it. I have also read what others have posted about having the problem in both IE7 and IE8.

As of now I have not downloaded either IE8 or Service Pack 3 (SP3). It is the not knowing part of what might happen that bothers me.

Thanks again! Visit my website at Showcasetoys. Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

As a long time SP3 and IE8 user I am happy with them.

There was an issue with AMD processors when SP3 first came out but they have resolved it:

5. HP/AMD desktop and SP3

6. SP3 and AMD motherboards (A8N 32SLI Deluxe)

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/05/25/p...-do-not-install

IE8 needs more memory so it takes a bit longer to start up but the advantages it offers are many:

Stay Safer Online

The Internet has enhanced our lives in nearly every way. However, as more of the things we do every day depend on the Internet, online crime has risen in turn.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...ures/safer.aspx

Enhanced tabbed browsing

Have you ever opened a large number of tabs only to find yourself overwhelmed when you go back to review them? Internet Explorer 8 introduces Tab Groups, which make tabbed browsing easier.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...res/easier.aspx

Accelerators

How many steps does it take with your current browser to map an address, translate a word, or perform other routine tasks online?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...res/faster.aspx