Do mbam.exe & MsMpEng.exe conflict?

Hi,

First time poster - long time user. When you've been using a product for a year but never logged into the forum that usually means it's a pretty good product.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials running along side Malwarebytes (1.62) & have noticed a few times in the past month that MsMpEng seems to be knocking mbam.exe out of the way (according to the Resource Monitor) while mbam.exe is performing a quick scan. This only happens right after start-up. I will see mbam's scan stop & "not responding" msgs in Resource Montior & MSE appears to be very busy doing something. The mbam scan does eventually finish in 3 or so minutes.

In fact it seems like MSE is very interested in just about anything MB or any other process is doing. Setup.exe is running & MSE is busy then too. Also Googleupdater & a few other tasks I can't remember right now. Perhaps this is good? MSE is just doing it's job.

If I wait 5 mins & run the mbam scan again it runs in 30 or 40 seconds without any problems. Perhaps I should wait 10 mins after the system is started before running any scans. Just curious if there are any known issues with MSE & MB running together? Is Avast the prefered primary anti-virus/anti-spyware with Malwarebytes?

thanks

Hello and Welcome -

Please read the FAQ link below if you are having any problems with M.S.E. and Malwarebytes > Section I -

http://forums.malwar...post&pid=181018

This is very unusual, as many members use MSE as their preferred Antivirus program without problems.

I have used both for several years now and never had any problems.

Just make sure that when you schedule the daily scans, that they are at least 2 hours apart -

Thank You -

Hi & thanks,

Will follow the instructions in section I for sure. Failed to mention that the PC did freeze & was just on it's way back up. Pretty important info to leave out I imagine.

Did just find this in the event log: Not sure if this caused the crash or was a symptom of but the system stopped responding @ 3:52:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 8/15/2012 3:53:06 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ???

Description:

Faulting application name: mbamservice.exe, version: 1.62.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fe23005

Faulting module name: mbamnet.dll, version: 1.62.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fe22fea

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000b0e6

Faulting process id: 0x1030

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd7b25bff83976

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamnet.dll

Report Id: 97974d1e-e723-11e1-8585-0024e828ea00

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-15T21:53:06.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>25967</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>???</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>mbamservice.exe</Data>

<Data>1.62.0.0</Data>

<Data>4fe23005</Data>

<Data>mbamnet.dll</Data>

<Data>1.62.0.0</Data>

<Data>4fe22fea</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>0000b0e6</Data>

<Data>1030</Data>

<Data>01cd7b25bff83976</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamnet.dll</Data>

<Data>97974d1e-e723-11e1-8585-0024e828ea00</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

thanks again

• 8 months later...

I've noticed that not only running real-time protection on MSE and MBAM at the same time can cause high resourse usage, but running an MBAM scan with MSE supposedly sitting idle causes MSE to scan at the same time MBAM is scanning, again causing high resourse usage. MsMpEng.exe runs at full throttle right along with the Mbam.exe process. I think it would be wise to add exceptions for MBAM in MSE (via the link above posted by moderator: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=181018) whether or not your system is freezing up, as it will keep your resourse usage at a minimum. Adding the process exceptions causes MSE to basically ignore MBAM processes.

mikey75777 Hello and :welcome:

Not everyone has to enter exceptions for MSE, but it sure can't hurt to enter them. I always enter mine to be on the safe side....

Also your antivirus software will also spike up a bit, due to that fact that files are being accessed by Malwarebytes.

I could be wrong about that but if I am I am sure someone on the staff/development team will correct me.