Which Virus software is compatible w/ Malwarebytes

Hello

I have Malwarebytes Pro installed on my computer. I recently upgraded from Mcafee antivirus plus 2011 to Mcafee total protection 2012. I never had any issues with running mcafee and malwarebytes together until now. I am having problems with running the mcafee regular updates. When I contacted Mcafee and they logged on to my computer the first thing they said I needed to do was remove malwarebytes because it would create a conflict. My question is if there are certain settings that allow these 2 programs to run together? Or is there another brand of antivirus software that is 100% compatible with Malwarebytes? I had an issue with a virus once and malwarebytes was the only thing that was able to fix it, so removing it is not an option.

Thanks

The following instructions may help, though they apply to the 2011 version of McAfee Total Protection:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011:

1. Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  2. Click on Firewall located under Features.
  3. Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  4. Click the Add button and then click browser.
  5. Add the following files to the firewall with full access:Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you want alternatives, the following are my personal recommendations for antivirus protection along with links to downloads for them (free trials for those that require a purchase so you can try them before deciding):

Note: If you decide to use one of the trial versions of one of the paid antiviruses then you will either need to purchase it or uninstall it completely and install a replacement antivirus before the trial expires so that your PC is not left unprotected.

Also note that if using the paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with your antivirus in realtime that it is generally a good idea to exclude Malwarebytes' files from your antivirus to avoid conflicts, though it is generally optional with the antivirus products listed above as we've tested them for compatibility and they worked well even without any exclusions set. The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

It really depends. I use a hardware router which uses NAT (Network Address Translation), acting as a hardware firewall and I run Windows 7, which also has a pretty decent firewall built in so I prefer Kaspersky Antivirus. That being said, if you're familiar with the use of software firewalls and like the additional security that they offer, then you should go with Kaspersky Internet Security or Kaspersky PURE (PURE also offers some additional features, such as the ability to create online backups of your files in case a system failure occurs).

If you do go with Kaspersky, there is one additional step that you need to take:

Uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before installing Kaspersky, and then, once Kaspersky is installed, reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The reason you need to do this is because for some reason, Kaspersky has been uninstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware silently during installation, though we're not sure why as we are not listed on their website as being incompatible with their software. I believe that it is simply a bug that they've not yet addressed.