MBAM2 freezes when performing a Threat Scan.

This is an update of the topic https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145113 from last week.

The scan freezing problem has been found to be related to my choice of custom location for my User Account files and folders.

I have been following the advice at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html. Using this tutorial I selected 'OPTION TWO - For all New User Accounts' (half way down the page) to directly create a User Account on my E:\ drive. This was on a fresh install of Win7 64-bit as normal on C:\ drive.

If I set 'ProfileDirectory' in 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList' to 'E:\' instead of the default '%SystemDrive%\Users', in order to create UserProfile files and folders on my E:\ drive, MBAM2 misbehaves.

However once a UserProfile has thus been created on E:\ drive, for MBAM2 to behave correctly, I have to change 'ProfileDirectory' in 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList back to '%SystemDrive%\Users', followed by a reboot for scans to run without freezing.

I've tried creating various temporary new UserAccounts both on C:\ and E:\ drives. On all occasions, if I leave the Registry setting such as to allow the creation of future UserAccounts on E:\ drive, the Threat Scans freeze. If, having created a UserAccount on E:\ drive I revert 'ProfileDirectory' back to'%SystemDrive%\Users', MBAM2 behaves correctly.

The workaround for this freezing problem is specifically: once a User Account has been created at the location of your choice you have to revert the location of any future, or further, User Accounts back to the Microsoft default otherwise MBAM2 will freeze on a Threat Scan or Hyperscan.

• 2 weeks later...