Protection Module causes latency

So, tonight, out of nowhere I started to get system lag. Using DPC Latency Checker I narrowed the problem down to my network adapter. Disabling it ended the lag. The problem of course is I need that to get online. A thread on another forum suggest turning off Malwarebytes Protection Module and that did solve the problem. Obviously I'd rather have it running. Anyone else have this problem? Can it be fixed in an update?

I posted previously on this type of problem. I was getting bad system lag issues when copying file across a LAN (i.e. loading the network adapter) and I think (not able to prove) seeing the odd audio dropout. Disabling website blocking fixed this and I now just accept I have to run with it disabled.

• Root Admin

Yes unfortunately there appears to be some hardware that does exhibit this issue but so it seems to be very few. We are looking at other methods to try to alleviate this issue though for everyone but we do not have any projected date when this might be updated at this time.

Thank you for the update. This literally started happening in the middle of a gaming session. I have had the problem before, but it was with a wireless network card that I no longer use and it was before I started using Malwarebytes. I now using a different wireless adapter that plugs into my onboard ethernet port. I rebooted my system, pulled up DPC Latency Checker and turned the protection module on and off watching the lag spike and then consistently go red whenever it was on. I can post screen and my system specs if that would help.

• Root Admin

Thanks kq2076 - I've posted many times before on this subject. Every computer that runs that software will show lags period we know that, however when you consider that we have millions of customers the number of those affected with real audio degradation is extremely low. There is a big difference between having an actual issue and having high numbers shown from this software.

As said though, we are working on trying to use other methods for this so that even for those that do experience this issue we can hopefully resolve it. If you've been able to run MBAM without this issue and its suddenly crept up then we might be able to clean the box up and resolve it. If on the other hand its always been an issue then no there is no fix except to disable the Web blocker at this time.

Same issue here. After days of researching, I accidentally stumbled upon a thread which said that Malwarebytes was causing it. After disabling it (or just the website blocking), the problem went away. I also think that it's just happening on the latest 1.70 version, because I had no issues with the 1.65 one.

Same issue here. After days of researching, I accidentally stumbled upon a thread which said that Malwarebytes was causing it. After disabling it (or just the website blocking), the problem went away. I also think that it's just happening on the latest 1.70 version, because I had no issues with the 1.65 one.

That is odd. We made no modifications whatsoever to the code for Malicious Website Blocking in version 1.70 compared to 1.65.1 (or 1.65 for that matter). Would you mind testing again with 1.65.1 or 1.65 to verify? It should exhibit the same exact behavior.

I have also done some testing with previous versions and see the issue with 1.62 and 1.65 as well (have not tried earlier). While I experience LAN transfer and audio issue with website blocking enabled I find the easiest way to test is with the LatencyMon utility.

Hi. I'm having the same problem for a few months now - having finally traced the cause I've come here and found this thread. It's just the website protection module that causes it. My motherboard is an ASUS P5B - Intel P965 chipset, Intel E6420 Core 2 Duo. Here's the screenshot where you can see the effect of turning the module on and off.post-37855-0-67599900-1364755446.png

That is odd. We made no modifications whatsoever to the code for Malicious Website Blocking in version 1.70 compared to 1.65.1 (or 1.65 for that matter). Would you mind testing again with 1.65.1 or 1.65 to verify? It should exhibit the same exact behavior.

I have tested it with the 1.65, 1.65.1 and 1.70 versions now. All 3 caused DPC lag. Just like before, it went away after turning off the ''Website Blocking'' feature.

Here are some screenshots for comparison:

1.65.1 with the Website Blocking feature turned OFF:

0KiuXj1.png

1.65.1 with the Website Blocking feature turned ON:

b59upBo.png

1.70 with the Website Blocking feature turned OFF:

JWOJfOi.png

1.70 with the Website Blocking feature turned ON:

N8GxHAT.png

The massive red spikes are causing audio drop outs which is really annoying.

I have tested it with the 1.65, 1.65.1 and 1.70 versions now. All 3 caused DPC lag. Just like before, it went away after turning off the ''Website Blocking'' feature.

Yes, that's what I expected to see. Hopefully we can somehow address the issue in the future, however it will require some completely different APIs which I'm not even certain exist.

• Root Admin

@CasperRosewater

I'm sorry you're not happy with the product. It comes with a lifetime license and it can be transferred to another computer but if you like you can submit for a refund.

As already stated we hope to correct it but at this time there is no date for a resolution.

Normal refund policy is 30 days but for special circumstance if the product is not too old we can go ahead and help you with a refund.

http://malwarebytes....s-Anti-Malware-

Thank you

I like the product; that's why I decided to support it by purchasing it. Maybe I shouldn't have stated my above question as rhetorical since you did not address it so I'll answer it here:

* rolled-back IDT High Definition Audio Device driver

* uninstalled, updated and reinstalled IDT High Definition Audio Device driver

* uninstalled, updated and reinstalled AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics driver

* changed SSD mode from Raid to AHCI

* changed Playback Device sample rate, both lower and higher

* windows restore to a prior good restore point

* complete system restore from backup to good restore point

* ran DLP Latency Checker app and disabled devices in Device Manager, one at a time, and watched to see if latency changed.

* did a clean boot with DLP Latency Checker and disabled services one at a time and watched to see if latency changed.

At least my labor paid off before I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows.

• Root Admin

Maybe I shouldn't have stated my above question as rhetorical since you did not address it so I'll answer it here:

I believe I did address your question.

As already stated we hope to correct it but at this time there is no date for a resolution.

We cannot provide you with any time frame without being dishonest which I'm sure you'd rather I not do.

I'm simply stating that if you're unhappy and do want a refund then you would need to address it very soon otherwise the refund would be denied if you've had the program too long is all.

Thank you again

Hope I am not stating the obvious, but my pixelation issue with my HDHomerun Prime (network Cablecard TV tuner) started around March 7th or 8th, and appears to be related to a database/definitions update and not a main program update (I had the latest 1.70.0.1100 installed since December). As suggested earlier, disabling the Website Blocking feature fixes the pixelation issue for me which I actually discovered by troubleshooting this on my own (after trying everything else I could think of for days and days).

I am confident that it is a database change because I reinstalled MBAM 1.70.0.1100 but did not update the databases right away (so they were over 100 days old) and enabled Website Blocking but did not have the pixelation issue on my network tuner. Once I let MBAM update the database, the pixelation issue returned and I once again disabled Website Blocking to fix that.

Not sure if you were aware of that fact about the database updates or not, but I wanted to share my story as well. Just something to look into.

Thank you!

Hope I am not stating the obvious, but my pixelation issue with my HDHomerun Prime (network Cablecard TV tuner) started around March 7th or 8th, and appears to be related to a database/definitions update and not a main program update (I had the latest 1.70.0.1100 installed since December). As suggested earlier, disabling the Website Blocking feature fixes the pixelation issue for me which I actually discovered by troubleshooting this on my own (after trying everything else I could think of for days and days).

I am confident that it is a database change because I reinstalled MBAM 1.70.0.1100 but did not update the databases right away (so they were over 100 days old) and enabled Website Blocking but did not have the pixelation issue on my network tuner. Once I let MBAM update the database, the pixelation issue returned and I once again disabled Website Blocking to fix that.

Not sure if you were aware of that fact about the database updates or not, but I wanted to share my story as well. Just something to look into.

Thank you!

Thanks for the additional info, it's definitely possible that a database update could increase the level of latency if, for example, the number of blocked websites in our block list within the database increased significantly as that would add to the overhead on the network stack. I suspect the resulting behavior you're seeing is likely related to the audio issues described above and that your system is simply somewhat less sensitive to it, thus it only occurs once you update the database.

I was wondering if you could look into the websites and specific IPs that were added to the database updates on March 7th or 8th to see if any stick out as a possible cause to all these latency issues. My Prime tuner and Website Blocking had been working great together for 6 months prior to March so I would imagine there is something very specific that was added on those days that one could point to. It's hard for me to imagine that all of a sudden some x number of blocklist sites pushed it over the edge when I am sure there were a lot on the list before the March updates.

Thoughts?

I was wondering if you could look into the websites and specific IPs that were added to the database updates on March 7th or 8th to see if any stick out as a possible cause to all these latency issues. My Prime tuner and Website Blocking had been working great together for 6 months prior to March so I would imagine there is something very specific that was added on those days that one could point to. It's hard for me to imagine that all of a sudden some x number of blocklist sites pushed it over the edge when I am sure there were a lot on the list before the March updates.

Thoughts?

I doubt it's a specific website, you'd be surprised how many we can add or remove in the space of a single database update, especially with the new malicious IPs we've been tracking for hosting exploits lately (typically many hundreds per day, and that has ramped up in the past couple of months so the timing fits).

I doubt it's a specific website, you'd be surprised how many we can add or remove in the space of a single database update, especially with the new malicious IPs we've been tracking for hosting exploits lately (typically many hundreds per day, and that has ramped up in the past couple of months so the timing fits).

Have you also run DPC Latency Checker on your computer with the latest MBAM database updates? When I run it on my work computer I also get the big red spikes with Website Blocking enabled and don't get them when I disable that feature. So I am 2/2 in terms of having the Website Blocking feature slow down my computers and would imagine that this problem is very universal. It's just that most people do not realize there is an issue without having a visual confirmation like a network TV recorder. I mean I wouldn't have known if I didn't get the pixelated video beginning in March.

Thank you.

Have you also run DPC Latency Checker on your computer with the latest MBAM database updates? When I run it on my work computer I also get the big red spikes with Website Blocking enabled and don't get them when I disable that feature. So I am 2/2 in terms of having the Website Blocking feature slow down my computers and would imagine that this problem is very universal. It's just that most people do not realize there is an issue without having a visual confirmation like a network TV recorder. I mean I wouldn't have known if I didn't get the pixelated video beginning in March.

Thank you.

Yes I have, I see no spikes here, though as stated previously, it's very hardware specific and most systems are unaffected.

• Root Admin

As this topic has been addressed and there is no current new information I will go ahead and close this topic now.

The current answer is yes we are aware that a very small number of users do experience this issue and we do hope to resolve it at some time in the future but at this time there is no specific date when this will be corrected. If you are having this issue and you've purchased the software within 30 days you can submit for a refund via the Help Desk if you like. The Consumer version currently does come with a life time license and can be transferred to another computer if desired.

Thank you