yahoo addon in firefox cant remove

i installed yahoo instant messenger and when i checked firefox addons for any suprises i came across yahoo application state plugin.

and i cant seem to remove it only option is to disable it but i want to remove it completely any help would be greatly appreciated.

also their is a folder in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

named jsloader

any idea what this folder is and why its their iv never seen it before

You have to AVOID all the crap that Yahoo IM installs by always checking custom installation. The you can uncheck the Yahoo Toolbar, making yahoo the default home page, etc.

Removed the extra Yahoo crap from the Add/Remove Programs (Programs Features) Control Panel applet.

i did go into custom install and removed EVERYthing but the messenger

this was something i couldnt remove and their is nothing listed under program features but the messenger

on a side note i found it. turns out it was a .dll file in the yahoo messenger folder deleting it solved my problem

EDIT: Never mind -- I was too slow (talking on phone and typing at the same time). Looks as if you've already solved it. :)

In addition to DHL's more expert advice (and I agree with his rec to remove as much of this junk as you can), if you have trouble removing via the Windows control panel, I think you can also navigate to C:/ProgramFIles(x86)/MozillaFirefox/Plugins or ...../Extensions and manually delete such items that way.

I think that's still the only way to delete the Java Console (which is not needed).

(This is the file path for x64 Windows; it would be C:/Program Files/MozillaFirefox/Plugins or .../Extensions for x86)

Be sure to back up your profile before you do, JIC. ;)

Sometimes messing with extensions and plug-ins can upset your profile.

You might also check in at the MZ forum: http://forums.mozill...wforum.php?f=38 -- the folks there are quite helpful with the intricate details of working with Fx plug-ins and extensions.

HTH,

daledoc1

yeah i actually ended up frying the messenger had to reinstall it well i was trying to remove that file

thanks for the help on a side note though

does anyone know how i can get windows to tell me when it has updates to instal. It used to tell me if their was updates (it downloaded them and then told me), but now it just downloads them and doesnt bother telling me their ready to be installed i only find out their ready to be installed when i navigate to the windows update

does anyone know how i can get windows to tell me when it has updates to instal. It used to tell me if their was updates (it downloaded them and then told me), but now it just downloads them and doesnt bother telling me their ready to be installed i only find out their ready to be installed when i navigate to the windows update

What is your OS?

For Win7, see this excellent tutorial: http://www.sevenforu...ngs-change.html

and this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

and: http://www.dummies.c...e-settings.html

I'm sure we can find similar ones for XP, if you need it.

daledoc1

turns out it was set to install updates automatically but it wasnt doing it

That could be a more serious issue that might require some troubleshooting or even resetting Windows Update.

WU also won't install some patches if your copy of Windows is not genuine or not activated.

From an admin account, perhaps change the settings, perhaps to "notify only" (and be sure to save the changes), then restart the computer and see if the changes stick? (You'll need to wait ~24 hours to see if it's working, b/c WU normally phones home only ~ once per day.)

If not, you'll need to wait for one of the more geeky folks to help :) , and/or research further, perhap at MS or one of the Win7 fora.

FWIW, many folks prefer only to be NOTIFIED of available updates, so that they can install them at a convenient, planned time & the user can monitor their installation.

"Silent" updates can be a problem, b/c they can come at inconvenient times (especially when they requre a system restart) or create conflicts with other programs.

Sometimes, there are quite a lot of them (as there were this week -- I had 21 patches for each rig, including 2 each for .NET 3.5 and .NET 4, which are often best installed separately).

If one or more of them runs into an issue during a silent install, it can really create headaches and screw things up.

So, IMHO, it's best to let WU notify you -- it will place an icon in the system tray (see below), which you can set to display whenever there is a notification (click the white "up" arrow/triangle in the system tray to "show hidden icons" and go from there....)

Then, when you get the nofication icon in the system tray & you are ready, you can install the patches manually, a few at a time, if you prefer.

Win7 has generally updated without problems, but I always make full data backups AND a system image every month, before installing Windows Updates, JUST IN CASE! ;)

Anyway, that's all I know.

Let's see what the pros have to say,

daledoc1

post-29793-0-17769500-1336668058.png

post-29793-0-90514000-1336668577.jpeg

a suggestion ...

set windows update to notify you that updates are available but that you want to choose what to download and when to install .

this way , you will know what is going on and windows won't try to install a bunch of crap right in the middle of doing *something* and bogging down the machine .