MBAM and McAee

I am currently using McAfee Internet Security with MBAM and have McAfee's real time scanning running as well as the protection module of MBAM. This has slowed my computer down a little, mostly program launches including Internet Explorer.

I can live with the slowdown but my concern is that McAfee and MBAM are both trying to read files at the same time possibly causing a conflict and actually leaving me less secure than with only one program doing real time scanning.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hello and :welcome:

The both scan different types of viruses/malware. It is the job of your antivirus software to catch the infections first, if they get by your antivirus software that's where Malwarebytes kicks in and detects it. Your anti virus software detects on access, where Malwarebytes detects when the file is executed.

Have a look HERE... to prevent them from possibly conflicting with each other you can add exclusions to your antivirus software, not sure which version of windows or McAfee your using, but here are the files that need to be excluded....

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

We don't read files at the same time as your antivirus. They read on access and on creation, we read on execution which is after your antivirus has already analyzed them. This means that if a threat is detected and removed by your antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will never see it. If your antivirus misses the threat completely, allowing the threat to try and execute, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will block and remove the threat.