Freezing Issues

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are doing testing with Norton 360 as we speak. If there is a problem with our technology, we will fix it. If there is a problem with their technology, we will contact them.

I seriously think that there is nothing to do with them. I do not have Norton 360 and neither do I have ZoneAlarm. I have Symantec AntiVirus running though.

I'll do the log as soon as I get my morning coffee. (:

I have Norton Internet Security 2009 and am experiencing these freezing problems. I ran Malywarebytes with XP in safe mode with no problem. I do not have Norton 360, but I would like to know if there is a common component with NIS 2009 that might be the problem.

Norton 360 V2 uses an older AV technology (from NIS 2008 I think). The new 360 V3 which has just been released for sale in the last few days is based on the NIS 2009 technology. I'm currently using 360 V2 and have experienced the same freezing issues as others and seen improvement when auto-protect is turned off in 360. It sounds like the issue will continue when I upgrade to 360 V3 based on your experience with NIS 2009.

Norton 360 V2 uses an older AV technology (from NIS 2008 I think). The new 360 V3 which has just been released for sale in the last few days is based on the NIS 2009 technology. I'm currently using 360 V2 and have experienced the same freezing issues as others and seen improvement when auto-protect is turned off in 360. It sounds like the issue will continue when I upgrade to 360 V3 based on your experience with NIS 2009.

I am using NIS 2009 without any freezing problems

Well, I just found out what the problem was.

I had recently found out about Malwarebytes during the process of wanting to verify that I did not, in fact, have a virus any longer (which I do not). In any event, I had turned off System Restore (Windows XP) during this process and also ran Malwarebytes for the first time - successfully. Subsequently, I have tried to run Malwarebytes, freezing after 6-10 seconds every time and forcing a PC reboot each time as well. Based on what I had previously read, I assumed it was NIS 2009 so I disabled it. I then disabled Spybot S&D, Teatimer, Norton Ghost, all with no luck - still freezing up. Then I remembered that I had turned System Restore back on.

I, just now, ran Malwarebytes successfully with NIS 2009, Spybot, etc. all running, but with System Restore off and know for certain now that System Restore was involved with the freezing issues. I am now wondering if it is possible to run Malwarebytes with System Restore on - if so, could something else in conjunction with System Resore be having a conflict with Malwarebytes?

I have System Restore on my Vista and XP Pro systems but I don't have Spybot S&D nor anything Norton and I do not have a problem.

Sadly Spybot S&D has become an "also ran" and has fallen by the wayside like Ad-Aware.

I use avast! anti virus.

Avast, MBAM, and CCleaner. Best trifectorate ever.

the three that iv found work the best are

Bitdefender, MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware free

i can show you PC's were malwarebites finds stuff on them and if we run SUPERAntiSpyware free it shows stuff malwarebites dosnt have and same on SUPERAntiSpyware as it will have stuff found to, then i run a scan with bitdefender and its all clean.

they all work so well together.

But honestly id preferred to just run one Spyware app , and it would be MBAM

• Root Admin

Yes Neil I think we would all like to use just one program, but unfortunately I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

Good case in point is the post in the PC Help forum where the user could not get the Windows Installer running. He had used a LOT of Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus applications before posting and none of them found stuff wrong. I had him post a lot of logs and we found and removed stuff that the automated tools just didn't currently have information about or didn't know how to deal with it. There is also a Trojan out that though it is old there does not appear to be a good automated method to repair it that I've seen, but I've not tested some of the AV solutions for it yet.

As best you can, better to try and keep the system clean then having to do cleanup after. Even that though is a daily challenge - some of the Malware figures out different tricks, work a rounds, exploits, social engineering, etc to get on the box.

it sort of gets to a point were iv got to image (snapshot program) my computers at work and home so i have a fail safe, as the mass amount of these suckers, and the speed they infect a system is amassing.

but the downfall of imaging is that you need alot of space that is rairly used, and most people dont and cannot aford spare hard drives for this.

i have to say iv been watching the development of this product and it looks like its a winner, and can only get better (One hopes :) )

Keep up the good work dev team, and of cource the support team here

To add to what Steven said:

I like and use avast! on my Vista system and Avria AntiVir on my XP Pro system.

You have to completely remove Norton as it infests the system so totally that it prevents installation of other anti virus applications.

Looks like you need to download and run the un-install application and a reboot is required:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norto...&view=docid

Hi all, I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right. I first became aware of MB through a Pc world columist I follow and decided to give it a try. I run an xp desktop and a vista premium laptop and use the same security programs on each. MB (version 1.34 installed and ran fine on the xp desktop and even caught a couple of items that my other programs had missed. However on the vista premium laptop after about an hour running in the full scan mode I get an error 28 out of stack space and vista shuts down Mb. It seems to run just fine in the quick scan mode however. I'm guessing I must have a conflict happening with some or one of my other security programs. For real time protection I'm running Threatfire, Spybot S&D,Avira basic Av,Windows Defender,Win Patrol and Spyware Blaster to block known dangerous websites. Im' guessing one or more of these may not be playing nice with MB in vista, so far the first one I temporarly shut off was threatfire but had the same problem. I know I can probably eventially find the conflicting one by disabling them all one by one which of course would be very time consuming but I was wondering if any of you have an idea of the likely program causing the conflict,Thanks Rich. P.S I'm thinking of seeing if I can get it to run a full scan in safe mode next,would apreciate your thoughts.

Welcome astrospacerich

I am running MBAM on Vista and these are my experiences:

Spybot S&D has become a bit obsolete and if you use its TeaTimer it can interfere with the running of MBAM.

I run MBAM Quick scan only as it catches 99.9% of its detected infections.

Windows Defender does not update itself frequently enough so should be updated through its portal:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal <== current is v1.53.410.0

Exit Windows Defender then go to the portal then select Run to update it then start it through Start then All Programs

I recommend CCleaner with its customized winapp2.ini file to clean out Windows junk:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download <== un-select the Yahoo Toolbar if you do not want it.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110 <== winapp2.ini file

CCleaner forum is a good place to visit if you want more information on it:

http://forum.piriform.com

Run Secunia Online Software Inspector to check the system for vulnerable common programs:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Do not run MBAM in Safe mode as it disables needed services.

MBAM runs in safe mode, but won't detect as much as it could in normal mode because it's drivers aren't allowed to load unless booted normally. If it does detect anything difficult to remove in safe mode it would also probably fail to remove it for the same reason (lack of necessary drivers). That's why the developers and experts always recommend running MBAM in normal mode and on every user account on the system if possible.

Contrary to perhaps popular opinion, I am quite happy with my current set up of Norton Internet Security 2009 and SpyBot Search & Destroy. I decided that it might be good to add MBAM into the mix as an added measure, but I have only been able to run it without freezing either by using it in Safe Mode or by disabling System Restore.

NIS 2009 and SpyBot have been running fine together and each seem to work well for me. I would just like to know what is going on that enables me to utilize MBAM if I disable System Restore and if there is any way to address that with a workaround or modification that might correct the issue.

Hi all, Thanks for your thoughts on this. I tried running the MB full scan when I went to bed last night in safe mode and it ran just fine and came up showing a clean enviorment with no detected malware. so my guess is because not everthing loads in safe mode that it is conflicting with one of the other security programs I'running and Kenny I will try turning off tea timer tonight and see what it does. Kenny I like you have been a long time fan of C cleaner and found a great little addon for it from a techrepublic article I read today it is called Click & Clean and what it does is it automates C cleaner so when you click on the icon cleaner comes up runs it's scan a then cleans all in one neat step. Click & clean also integrated right into my opera browser and it also triggers operas browser cleanup utility as well saving me a lot of steps. Click & clean says it works with safari, Ie, and firefox as well. Here's a Cnet link for those of you who want to give it a try it's free and a small download about 458kb. Click & clean download Kenny I also agree with you about windows defender they just don't keep it updated often enough for me to trust it by it self thats why I also run Spybot and Threatfire. Threatfire (it used to be Cyberhawk) pretty much updates daily at least once and in the fast changing threat enviorment I want more then one guard at the door,lol. Thx for all the responses guys I'll let you know if shutting off tea timer lets MB run a full scan In normal mode. :P:P

Me again I forgot to mention I also run PSI (The Secunia software inspecter) it's agreat app I run it about once a week just to make sure all my third party software is up to date and patched (especially anything to do with adobe) as they are infamous for getting attacked through security veneralbilities both in their flash and pdf reader. Thx all Rich.