Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

I would like to add my name to the growing list of customers who are experiencing lockups when attempting to use Malwarebytes 1.6 with Zone Alarm 10.1.065.000 and Avast 6.0.1367 on system running Windows XP SP3. Please do not advise to remove or disable Zone Alarm, because in my experience, that is the most important protection I have. I would rather remove Malwarebytes and have my money returned. Please advise.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am having the same problem: XP, Zone Alarm (version 9.2.057.0000), and no problems with my paid version of Malwarebytes until the upgrade to 1.60 yesterday.

The computer I've tested functions in Safe Mode, but freezes at the end of the login process for any user, including the administrator, in the regular mode. (We have two others I haven't turned on yet since Christmas, but all are XP with Zone Alarm.)

I ran a full scan of my computer in Safe Mode, using Malwarebytes 1.60, and it came up with no problems. So I'm not infected.

I didn't upgrade Malwarebytes manually -- the program did it by itself, so using the clean feature wasn't needed.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes and re-installed it using the 2010 executable file for Version 1.46 which I had on my computer. It has updated the virus signatures, so I have a current database on it (911122901), but still using engine 1.46. I have disabled updates for that, so it's a temporary fix.

I have NO NO NO intention of stopping using Zone Alarm, whether it's up to date or not. You can't get me to dump someone else's product because your upgrade doesn't work with it -- without telling me in advance what it will no longer support.

I'll stay with engine 1.46 for now. If it isn't resolved in a few weeks, bye-bye Malwarebytes. Too bad after all this time, on 3 computers, but I can't live with the lack of professionalism, attempts to minimize the problem, and excuses I see here.

You guys might stop attempting to minimize the problem and the implied put-downs in your responses. I saw the same thing about 18 months ago when I last had a problem and visited here. It's not attractive.

You'll come across as less arrogant and less defensive if you stick with the technical solutions to the problem, rather than trying to minimize it. It does nothing to increase my confidence in your product -- previously very high, now shaken.

Here is the logfile from Security Check.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.30

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86

Internet Explorer 7 Out of date!

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!

Avira Free Antivirus

ESET Online Scanner v3

ESET Online Scanner

Avira successfully updated!

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

SpywareBlaster 4.5

Gmer

Java 6 Update 30

Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Avira Antivir avgnt.exe

Avira Antivir avguard.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

My computer doesn't play well with IE8, thus IE7 and I typically use Firefox anyway other than when obtaining Microsoft updates.

@Larkbay

Double salutations :D

I especially congratulate you on the install bit with Safe mode with Networking ! aces!

Keep me advised as to how you progress with the new MBAM

yes, we can without the dds logs. ;)

P.S. That is real surprise on IE8

You know, MS will be pushing IE8 out to your xp box.

Thanks. :)

As said earlier, no issues other than having to disable Avira in the systray to update/scan. To be safe, I will disconnect from the internet after updating, then scan with MBAM, however I never had to do this with the old version of MBAM. Updates/scans went smoothly and I never had to disable my a/v to accomplish either.

You're welcome. :)

Personally, I feel you should uninstall it via add/remove programs, then use the cleanup tool unless one of the devs/moderators state otherwise. When I tried using the cleanup tool only on my XP computer, there were so many error popups, I couldn't get to the GUI for the cleanup tool to run it. You may find it works better in safe mode with networking, but that will depend on your other security programs.

When I tried using the cleanup tool only on my XP computer, there were so many error popups, I couldn't get to the GUI for the cleanup tool to run it.

On my remove/install, the error popups were taken care of by rebooting and continuing with the process. The instructions worked fine. Did you disable antivirus programs and follow instructions pertinent to Zone Alarm? Did you update Avast as mentioned in another post in this thread? The Avast update appears to resolve any conflicts with MBAM. Have you checked to see if other security programs were temporarily disabled during the remove and/or updated install?

I don't use Avast or Zone Alarm and I didn't revert back to an old version, so I'm probably not the best person to be answering you, but this is how I did it.

1) Download cleanup tool to desktop;

2) Boot into safe mode with networking, run removal tool;

3) Reboot into safe mode with networking, downloaded/installed/updated MBAM;

4) Reboot into regular mode, attempted a scan that froze, disabled Avira, scanned without problems.

Maurice, I have managed to install and update MBAM by running the removal tool in safe mode with networking, rebooting, then downloading and installing the new version in safe mode with networking (after making sure both times that all Avira related files were not running in task manager).

When I rebooted into regular mode, the program opened without issue, however it did hang almost immediately when trying to scan and I had to end it via task manager.

I then disabled Avira in the systray and MBAM ran/scanned without issue.

I am pretty positive my computer is malware free (I was trained at the old Tom Coyote forum in malware removal and head up a subforum for malware removal at my forum so I stay pretty up to date on these things), but if you feel after reading this, that I should run/attach the logfiles from DDS, I will certainly do that, but I really really feel this is a software conflict and not a malware issue.

Have you tried Setting Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira?

What NIC did you use at TC?

Another user here with Zone Alarm lock up problems. Installed the new Malwarebytes v. 1.60 1800. Had immediate problems with lock ups and freezing on main desktop. After much trial and errors, removing, cleaning, re-installs, etc. etc. I narrowed it down to Zone Alarm Checkpoint. Once ZA program was uninstalled, and cleaned out, using their clean up tool, Malwarebytes 1.60 1800 installed with no problems or lockups. (So far, <_< )

:( I have the pro version of Malwarebytes. I also updated to the new version 1.60.0.1800. I use Win XP SP3 with ZoneAlarm. The new version of Malwarebytes does not run at all. The message I get is: "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I also have uninstalled and re-installed. I ran all chameleon scripts (except the browsers) -- no luck, I get the same message. The only thing MWB does is that it updates itself or reports that it is up-to-date.

@ememkai

Please note and post back your version number of ZoneAlarm, and also name and version of your Anti-Virus.

Have you tried the mbam-clean procedure?? If not, give the following one try

Just do most of the work in Safe Mode with Networking. (tap F8 key when pc is restarting before the XP GUI starts)

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so
    When the pc is restarting, tap & re-tap F8 function key to get selective Startup option
    select Safe Mode with Networking
    very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

My two cents:

I have 5 Pro licenses and only have a problem with one computer.

When 1800 installs, I get the hour glass, control/alt/delete doesn't work nor does the mouse, so I am helpless. Forced reboot doesn't work so I have to go to safe mode to uninstall MBAM to get my computer working.

Reading some comments here leads me to report that I am using MSE for an antivirus and yes, the free version of Zone Alarm. Operating system is Windows XP SP3.

My computers which are not giving me problems all have avast! Internet Security.

I'll try later to disable ZA and see what happens.

UPDATE--

Uninstalled Zone Alarm FREE and was able to activate MBAM Pro and now the hour glass was gone.

Installed Online Armor FREE which did cause some hour glass stuff but now seems to be OK. Control Alt Delete now works.

My other computers continue to be fine and the beta was run on my main computer with absolutely no problems.

Seldom visit this forum because I rarely have a problem with MBAM but I'm glad I did this time.

Happy New Year :)

I just wanted to chime in here and officially add another person to the list that is having issues with the latest update.

I also have win xp sp3, Avast 6 and Zone alarm. I use the paid version of malwarebytes. I am having the problem with my system completely locking up after I updated to 1.6.0.1800. I did submit a service ticket a few minutes ago.

I have used the mbam-clean utility and rebooted, but that did not fix the issue for me.

I have narrowed it down to the "enable protection module". If is it not checked, then mbam runs fine with Zone Alarm. As soon as it is checked, my system locks up.

Hope the problem with ZA will be fixed soon or that you revert back to the older version of the protection module that did not have problems.

• Root Admin

Hope the problem with ZA will be fixed soon or that you revert back to the older version of the protection module that did not have problems.

Thank you for your comments silverbird but if you review the post above you will see that we have over 2 million users so far that have updated and that are not having an issue and approximately 2 dozen users with Zone Alarm that are having an issue.

We will not be reverting back, but we do hope that either we or Zone Alarm will come up with a solution for those users that are using Zone Alarm.

Thank you again.

Uninstalled Zone alarm - ran MBAM-clean and installed the latest version. Put in my registration info and everything is working pretty good now although I did have a crash after a scan. On another machine I did the same and it works fine. Windows XP PRO SP3 with avast 6 free, now windows firewall which I don't love and Malwarebytes. Please fix these bugs. I never had any problems with other versions.

@silverbird

Would you note just which version number of ZA is involved, and whether it is the free, Pro, or Suite.

and if up-to-date. I note that ZA put out an update today (though for me, I cannot decipher if it is only for antivirus component)

Does your version have a "Program Trust" control?

Beyond all that, did you use the MBAM-Clean sequence followed by a new install and restart?

Also, doing the clean & install process in Safe Mode with Networking has worked magic in other cases.