Iexplore issue, not sure if its infection

furnace

good idea on the ZA removal .

if there be problems ... simplify !

remove possible problematic software .

and yes , i will make a case for FF over chrome .

a look into the somewhat shady dealings of google (et al) in the past is like getting a mouthful of sour milk .

kinda turns ya off to milk for a while , and the next time around one sniffs cautiously .

oh yeah ... turn off the automatic updates until you get the machine cleaned/straightened out .

it is ok to notify you that they are available but do not let them be automatically downloaded and installed .

the less you have going on , the better your chances of tracking down the problems .

you are thinking along the right lines about the possibility of the updates and other stuff trying to run at the same time screwing things up .

yessir , 20 different things happening at once and the machine pukes ... where do you start ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 1.67GHz

and 3G RAM"

you did not mention the speed of your ram .

hmmm ...

i can sort of see why things are a little slow at times .

unless you have things pared down as thin as possible , it will be a bit on the slow side ... at least these are my findings in general .

personally speaking , i used to like ZA about 8 years ago and then they screwed up .

you could try uninstalling ZA and then do an uninstall and reinstallation of MSSE ... use the windows firewall .

you may have to compromise the settings in MSSE a bit .

yeah , it is nice to check everything seven ways to sunday ... but ... it takes horsepower to do this .

and "anti" programs in general have become bigger and more cpu hungry ... it takes time to check things if it's a big list you're comparing against .

MSE not MSSE which is incorrect. It is not a firewall, but an antivirus and should not be recommending a user to run more then one. Running more then one antivirus can conflict and cause serious computer issues.

@buttons:

not exactly sure what you are getting at here ... maybe i am reading your post incorrectly .

there is much reference to the microsoft answer to a anti-spy/malware/antivirus program ... i have seen it referenced as MSSE for quite some time .

http://www.codeproject.com/search.aspx?q=msse

"unless you have things pared down as thin as possible ."

"you could try uninstalling ZA and then do an uninstall and reinstallation of MSSE ... use the windows firewall ."

this pretty much takes the tack of "one each is enough" (especially when taken in context with previous posts) .

i have seen MSSE prompt the installer to "activate" the windows firewall ... notably when any and all previous firewalls have been removed .

in most cases , the removal of the active firewall (assuming only one installed and being used , ZA in this case) will cause windows to notify the user of the situation and prompt to turn on the windows firewall .

there have been problems occasionally with MsMpEng.exe using high percentages of cpu time .

i am not saying that this is a cause for the problem in this instance ...

just a little information that one may consider/double check on .

@buttons:

not exactly sure what you are getting at here ... maybe i am reading your post incorrectly .

there is much reference to the microsoft answer to a anti-spy/malware/antivirus program ... i have seen it referenced as MSSE for quite some time .

http://www.codeproje...rch.aspx?q=msse

My bad I read that wrong. :blush: MSE or Microsoft Security Essentials is what it's called. I'm not sure where people are getting the MSSE as it's only 3 words(you take the first letter of all 3 words spelling MSE).

I'm still struggling with this.

Haven't been able to change the browser yet.

My wireless network adapter is having some kind of issue again an won't allow me to connect.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter and windows says it is working correctly.

I'm attempting an earlier restore point to see what happens.

I just got online by hooking up an ethernet cable.

At least that works.

I've tried so many things my head is spinning.

Turned off ZA and tried in case it was blocking the wireless. Nada.

I've repaired it.

I've run dignostics.

It tells me windows won't even try running diagnostics any longer. I think windows is frustrated too.

Used the device to search for drivers on the net and it says everything is up to date and working properly.

I ran the wireless diagnostics tools.

Everything passed except the ping test.

Its almost as if a setting has been turned off that doesn't allow the final connection to take place.

Centrino means it's using an Intel chipset rather than AMD or Nvidia. Some of the Nvidia chipsets had big problems and the wireless being flakey was one of the first symptoms of a motherboard failure on those units.

So, next up:

It's entirely possible that ZA's firewall is blocking your wireless connection in some manner.

I'd consider removing it from the system. Really.

You can always reinstall it after you get the system sorted out.

"turning off" is not the same as completely uninstalling the program ... stuff is still "in the road" .

kind of like having a jug of sour milk in the 'fridge ... you can shove it all the way to the back on the bottom shelf ... but you can still smell it .

several years ago when ZA became "bad order" , i was having fits and misery ...

turning off ZA did nothing ... uninstalling it did the trick .

(the same can happen with other programs as well)

sometimes the damage done by a (corrupted/bad) program has to repaired manually .

i believe there is a ZA uninstaller program mentioned *somewhere* in these forums .

Try downloading the newest driver listed for your laptop from Toshiba's website (even if it's the same driver you already have), then uninstall your existing driver and run Setup for the driver you downloaded. You'll probably need the exact model number from the bottom of your laptop to get the right driver.

If still no go, then go in to Network Connections, right click on the icon for the wireless connection and choose "Status". Click the Details button on that screen and let's have a screenshot of the results.

Progress!

I talked with ZA support.

I cleaned the system of ZA, disabled startup and service programs (except I hid all microsoft service programs first).

And then the wireless worked.

Then I had to download SP2 and downloaded the latest ZA program.

Thank you for all the time you spent working me through this problem.