Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am running WIn. xp Pro sp3 with Avast 6 free, Zone Alarm and Malwarebytes anti - malware and after the 12/27 update my computer will not work. When I reboot my mouse does not work - I can't do anything with the keyboard - the system freezes and I must do a hard reboot. I then went to safe mode and uninstalled Malwarebytes. Now I don't have a malware program that works. I paid for this and need it to work. You guys need to help us out here - it's your new version --too many people have the exact some problem with this update. Please help ASAP.

I am running Windows XP SP3, Malwarebytes Pro, Microsoft Security Essentials, and PrivateFirewall. When Windows starts it freezes. The keyboard and mouse do not work. I have to do a hard boot. I went into safe mode, disabled the PrivateFirewall, and now everything works. Everything was working fine until the last Malwarebytes update. There must be some conflict between Malwarebytes and certain firewalls. I am now using Windows XP firewall which works fine but is not a very good firewall. I want to go back to my other firewall. Please fix this issue.

Alright, I tried putting Mbam in security essentials, and vicey versey in Mbam and enabling protection module....Freeze!

Then, I rebooted into safemode and deleted Mbam. Rebooted into normal and ran that "clean" proggie.

Then, I tried d'loading a fresh copy of Mbam to which I got most of it, and it just stopped...OK?, So, I deleted that and tried again and got even less...... :)

Am assuming you pulled the current D'load to address these issues?

But, I dunno, I be just a dumb truckdriver in illinois..... :rolleyes:

Anyways....here are the files:

attach.rar

dds.txt

we are on our second page of very similar if not exact complaints regarding 12/27/11 update. Please come up with a fix ASAP.

Thank you

Richard W

And probably lots 'o people like me with the same problem, just nodding their heads, but not bothering to post about it - or not understanding enough about the issue to post about it. Just waiting for a fix. Or some kinda response. Hello.

I had problems with version 1.6 upgrade on all my XP with SP3 computers. Get the popup message that update was available. Clicked to upgrade to 1.6. Had to reboot computer. MBAM reported failure on startup and offered to send report to Microsoft. Rebooted computer with same error at startup of MBAM.

Looked into MB Forum and saw that a CLEAN uninstall of MBAM was needed. Downloaded the MBAB-Clean software and ran that software. Rebooted computer. Downloaded the version 1.6 from MB web site. Installed version 1.6. MBAM started normally and updated the definitions from 12-24 to 12-28. No problems and everything appears to be normal again.

Something in the MBAM-Clean software takes care of the problem. I used this on a dozen different XP-SP3 computers, and version 1.6 now works on all of them.

And probably lots 'o people like me with the same problem, just nodding their heads, but not bothering to post about it - or not understanding enough about the issue to post about it. Just waiting for a fix. Or some kinda response. Hello.

Please post - we need to get these guys working - let's put the pressure on. Hi!

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue: Post back and let us know please

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

I had problems with version 1.6 upgrade on all my XP with SP3 computers. Get the popup message that update was available. Clicked to upgrade to 1.6. Had to reboot computer. MBAM reported failure on startup and offered to send report to Microsoft. Rebooted computer with same error at startup of MBAM.

Looked into MB Forum and saw that a CLEAN uninstall of MBAM was needed. Downloaded the MBAB-Clean software and ran that software. Rebooted computer. Downloaded the version 1.6 from MB web site. Installed version 1.6. MBAM started normally and updated the definitions from 12-24 to 12-28. No problems and everything appears to be normal again.

Something in the MBAM-Clean software takes care of the problem. I used this on a dozen different XP-SP3 computers, and version 1.6 now works on all of them.

Sounds good. I think I'll give it a try although I don't feel like screwing with a computer all day today but you seem pretty sure. What anti -virus and firewall are you using?

Thank you allendew. I am running XP/SP3 with free Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. After (required)update of Malwarebytes today, it reported failure.

The Clean uninstall apparently did the trick. I downloaded MBAM again and chose the free 14 day trial and all appears to be good now. Thanks again.

Similar problem, installed version 1.60.0.1800 and it said the service ran into a problem and had to terminate. Efforts to reinstall ended up in a frozen computer requiring a hard restart. Went back to version 1.51.1.1800 until you guys figure out what you did wrong. Wasted about an hour on this mistake of an update. I'm using Outpost Security Suite 7.1 Free and Spybot S&D version 1.6.2 in a Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3 system. All I got from the Event Log was :

Faulting application mbamservice.exe, version 1.60.0.25, faulting module mbamcore.dll, version 1.60.0.52, fault address 0x00060ae0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

And this:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 12/28/2011

Time: 2:00:14 PM

User: N/A

Computer: -------

Description:

Fault bucket -1540401225.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:

0008: 2d 31 35 34 30 34 30 31 -1540401

0010: 32 32 35 0d 0a 225..

Please send out a general email or something when you figure out what the problem was.

My reinstalled version 1.51.2.1300 was working until I shutdown my computer.

Restarting it, I get now the following error into the Log file:

UtilityReadFile failed with error code 32

Now MB refuses to start with the following message:

PROGRAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE(2.2.CreateSDK)

I don't understand these kind of message, are the programmers too much drinking during Christmas time?

Did you try running the Clean-Uninstall before installing the latest?

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

It APPEARS, on my puter, anyway, that the free version of Zone-Alarm is doing SOMETHING. I got BOTH Mbam and security essentials running, but no firewall.

I placed the prescribed "iggies" in the proper places in both Mbam and essentials.

Puter is running fine..........

BUT, I GOT NO FIREWALL!!!!!!!

brb....lemme turn it on now...and see what transpires.

Similar problem, installed version 1.60.0.1800 and it said the service ran into a problem and had to terminate. Efforts to reinstall ended up in a frozen computer requiring a hard restart. Went back to version 1.51.1.1800 until you guys figure out what you did wrong. Wasted about an hour on this mistake of an update. I'm using Outpost Security Suite 7.1 Free and Spybot S&D version 1.6.2 in a Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3 system. All I got from the Event Log was :

Faulting application mbamservice.exe, version 1.60.0.25, faulting module mbamcore.dll, version 1.60.0.52, fault address 0x00060ae0.

And this:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 12/28/2011

Time: 2:00:14 PM

User: N/A

Computer: -------

Description:

Fault bucket -1540401225.

Data:

0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:

0008: 2d 31 35 34 30 34 30 31 -1540401

0010: 32 32 35 0d 0a 225..

Please send out a general email or something when you figure out what the problem was.

Disregard, I ran the Clean_Uninstall and now everything is working fine. Hopefully it stays that way. Maybe include that clean uninstaller with every update along with a message to reapply the license key so as to avoid these time consuming issues.

Thanks.

Two computers are never the same.

During BETA testing no one reported these issues.

I'm using MSE AV and Windows Firewall on this box, but trying to duplicate these issues on another box also without running Clean-Uninstall first.

I had the freeze and mouse lock-up as well. The common factor here is Zone Alarm. I am using that in version 10.1.065. If I keep that disabled, then no problem. However it's my firewall! As soon as I start ZA, my whole machine locks up. I have removed it from run on startup but that's not the point here. You folks need to fix that conflict. It has nothing to do with an uninstall, clean or otherwise. I tried that too. The problem is between the MWB and ZA (and from the posts, other firewalls too).

Hope this helps. We need an answer here.