What is the best way to check and update all drivers

Hi:

Is your computer OEM (Dell, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, etc)?

If so, it's generally advisable to to go the manufacturer's website with your "Service Tag" or similar information.

They will have the latest drivers for your machine and its hardware that have been tested to run on their platforms.

(While -- for example -- NVidia might have more recent versions of a GPU driver, it may not work well or at all on YOUR branded system.)

For the Windows OS itself, one would get updates via Windows Updates (but do not take driver updates for your peripherals or hardware that way).

For peripherals, such as printers, go to the manufacturer's website with your model (and serial number) and check there.

That's the "very short" version from just another home user.

Our more expert forum members will have additional suggestions,

daledoc1

I'd recommend a product, but it is made by IOBit, and MB and IOBit have had issues in the past.  I think that the developers of SUMo are working on a driver software package too.  Most of the others start nagging you almost incesantly to buy their paid package, and most I've seen are subscription only.

For those hard to fix drivers, like chipset, etc., it's best to rely on your Manufacturer.  If yours is a home built machine, then be sure to visit the manufacturers of all your hardware and get the latest available from them, and visit their forums to see if anyone is listing newer drivers for your hardware that work correct or fix a particular issue that you might have a chance to run into.

The problem is Epson wants me to install the whole 9 yards from XP forward through 7. Before I do that I wondered if there is anyway to check the drivers and utilities for any needed changes. There does not appear to be anything on the Epson website regarding updates or driver checking. The same appears to be true of Microsoft. AND while I'm her, what do people think of the "Fix it" download that Microsoft kicks up?

I did NOT suggest willy nilly hardware driver updates.  Unless one experiences problems with a specific hardware then maybe its driver and/or driver associated middleware may be in order.  Using third party software to discern drivers and their updates is contraindicated in general and please, do NOT use any IObit software.  IObit is a company who uses plagiarism as part of their business model and should be avoided.

The Epson Artisan 835 is a fine high quality, low volume, all-in-one.

If you have a problem with the Artisan 835 then lets deal with that specifically.

So please... start from scratch and define EXACTLY what problem you have with your Epson Artisan 835.

One more thing - It may download the 'whole 9 yards'  in terms of drivers for all operating systems, but unless you are trying to install network related drivers, where it stores all those drivers to help automatically install the printers in a network environment, when installing locally it will only install the drivers for your installed OS.

In past times the printer's wireless feature worked with no hitches. A couple of days ago it seemed to start demanding a new wireless set up for each print job. So, I ran the cable again. My Pavilion PC DOES still function well on wireless though it will not allow in-house, home networking with the PC down stairs. (Both PCs use windows 7 / upstairs upgrade / downstairs full OS 7)  It used to allow printer sharing but not any more. So, we also set up a second printer downstairs. 

Not that any of this is unmanageable. I just wondered what had changed and suspected damaged drivers because everything else appears to be fine and unchanged.

(And Yes!, Epson Artisan 835 is amazing for the price, other than wireless, it has never given me a moments heart ache. If it died, I'd buy it again!)

You asked about File Sharing.  You have a Router which I am sure has a possible 4 LAN ports..

Why not directly connect the Ethernet Port of the Artisan to a LAN port on the Router ?

That will bypass using WiFi on the Artisan and your computers will still be able to print (paper or CD/DVD), FAX or scan.

If that is the problem, "best way to check and update all drivers" and "I suspect some of my drivers may be either damaged" is a Red Herring.  It would be a setup problem on the Artisan and networking.  Not a "driver" issue.

The only thing is once the printer connects via Ethernet, it will get a new address.

It's late.  Tomorrow, if you need help, we can go through the process to make sure the printer gets an address as well as make sure any computers on the LAN see the printer with a new IP address (albeit, it is possible to manually set the printer using Ethernet to use the same IP address it had used wirelessly (WiFi) and this the computers won't  have to be modified to use a different address.  In any case, we can help you so you can use, and enjoy, the Epson Artisan.

The official support download page for that printer may be found here:

Depending on what the issue is and what functions of the all-in-one printer you actually use, you can choose what components to install or more simply, uninstall all Epson software via Programs and Features, reboot, then install the combo package they offer to reinstall the latest version of everything.

As for any sort of automated driver updating tool, I have never found one that actually worked with any great measure of success. The best method I've ever found is just to locate the info about the device (manufacturer and model number) then go straight to the source to get the latest drivers and utilities (the hardware manufacturer's website). This means that if I'm dealing with an Epson printer, I go to Epson. If I'm dealing with an ATI/AMD graphics processor, I go directly to ATI/AMD. If I'm dealing with an Intel motherboard/chipset, I go directly to Intel.

The third party driver scanning tools are as hit and miss (or more so) as Windows Update. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but the only way to be certain is to know the model number and manufacturer of your device and to locate the exact drivers and utilities for that device from the manufacturer's website. Everything else is a gamble.

I started from scratch. Took out the printer program and re-installed with the connection directly to the router/modem (2wire). Apparently, some driver was missing but I configured Microsoft updates to download needed drivers and did an update. That worked. I just need to do the same for the downstairs PC & I think both machines will be able to print from Epson. Upstairs PC does print now.Hubby is on the other machine right now, so I can't test it. I'll let you know how it all worked out, later. I can see the Epson on his machine and it is on the network.

I started from scratch. Took out the printer program and re-installed with the connection directly to the router/modem (2wire). Apparently, some driver was missing but I configured Microsoft updates to download needed drivers and did an update. That worked. I just need to do the same for the downstairs PC & I think both machines will be able to print from Epson. Upstairs PC does print now.Hubby is on the other machine right now, so I can't test it. I'll let you know how it all worked out, later. I can see the Epson on his machine and it is on the network.

Please don't.  Everything is at the Epson Web site.  That's what you should download.

Epson Artisan 835 Drivers and Utilities Combo Package

NOTE:  You may have to choose your Operating System.  The above is set for Win7/32.  However it is most likely the Combo Package is Windows OS independent.

Reiterated...

we can go through the process to make sure the printer gets an address as well as make sure any computers on the LAN see the printer with a new IP address (albeit, it is possible to manually set the printer using Ethernet to use the same IP address it had used wirelessly (WiFi) and this the computers won't  have to be modified to use a different address.  In any case, we can help you so you can use, and enjoy, the Epson Artisan.

Both Printers PCs now printing on the network after updating drivers. A bit of messing around but all is now working perfectly! Directing me to put the printer through the router was all I needed. I down loaded the combo pack from Epson and loaded the program from disk onto the other PC and all went well from there. Thank you very much for your advise and help. I have tested the printing on both machines, now and it's all working well. CHEERS!