I've got an issue with MBAM pro which I purchased during the recent black Friday sale.
When I enable the malicious website blocking feature, the ndis.sys driver's DPC latency skyrockets. This causes audio dropouts and crackling. 

Without blocking enabled: noWebsiteBlocking1.png

With blocking:

withWebsiteBlocking1.png

The high pagefaults are due to my torrent client and can be ignored. They don't cause problems. 

Info about network interface:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller RTL 8168 (PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&REV_01)

Driver 8.20.815.2013 (realtek provided newest win 8.1)

DxDiag.txt

Welcome to the club.  The problem is real.  Just search latency on this forum and you'll see my posts and many others,  The forum guru's say we have bad hardware (nonsense, I'm running a brand new high end Dell) or that latency should not cause audio issues (it definitely can).  The support people have been kinder and say they're working on a fix.  I'm something of an audiophile and started noticing pops and clicks occasionally.  After much troubleshooting I narrowed the problem to the malicious website tools, turn them off and your latency problem and audio issues will disappear... as to how much risk we're being exposed to from malicious websites, who knows.  Let's hope MB can solve this issue quickly.

Yes, I disabled it for now and only use filesystem protection. I'm protected by AdBlock plus, Avast's online security addon and avast's web shield. I guess that'll do.

What those guru's say is nonesense. High DPC latencies (and spikes) can definately cause audio problems. Audio is soft realtime since it has to deliver data a few times each second and thus requires reasonable latencies or buffer underruns will occur. Increasing buffer lengths can help but won't solve problems in the audio subsystem itself.

I just purchased the PRO version and installed.  Odd that after awhile, my sound card made some chirping noises (SoundBlaster Z).  I disabled the malicious website tools and the chirping has stopped.  I find this very odd, indeed!  I hope there is a fix for this very soon.  Right now, I have my AVG Online shield doing all the work...but frankly trust Malwarebytes more. 

There goes the credibility of the explanation we must be using 'cheap' or bad hardware. You're using a ~80 euro dedicated sound card with a good reputation. I'm using a Asus Xonar DG (~30 euro) dedicated sound card, with low DPC latency drivers instead of the bugged Asus ones. 
This is better hardware than most users use, as most will just use their motherboard's onboard solution (often a single Realtek chip of mediocre quality).

• Root Admin

The forum guru's say we have bad hardware (nonsense, I'm running a brand new high end Dell)

If you re-read the posts on this topic I think you'll find that no one said your hardware was bad (I did say probably though). There really has to be a hardware or driver mix causing this for some or as said everyone would experience it.

We simply passed along information from other users that claimed that replacing their NIC card corrected it for them. I've seen posts where users have replaced the NIC card and it made no difference as well.

or that latency should not cause audio issues (it definitely can).

Please show me that post where we've said that. No one that I'm aware of has made that claim.

Here are some of the posts in 2013 that discuss this issue. Again, no one from Malwarebytes has said that replacing your hardware will fix it, only that some have said it did. We did make improvements that reduced the number of users experiencing this issue but yes it does still exist for some. We have again worked on a new method that we're hopeful will correct it for everyone in our new upcoming 2.x version due out a bit later next year. We are not hiding or trying to hide the fact that some users are affected by it but trying to claim that its an epidemic simply because your own system is affected by it is not even close to the truth and a bit discourteous to imply that it is (as posted elsewhere on the site, not here in this topic).

I think we've gone the extra mile trying to be honest and trying to help those affected by it and will continue to do so to the best of our ability.

Posted 05 September 2013

DPC Latency Spikes and audio glitches?

Posted 03 September 2013

Reduce of dpc latency (ip protection)

Posted 03 April 2013

Website Blocking, causes DPC Latency Spikes and audio glitches

Posted 26 March 2013

Protection Module causes latency

Posted 28 February 2013

Jittery audio

Posted 26 February 2013

long duration Deferred Procedure Calls (DPC)

• Root Admin

There goes the credibility of the explanation we must be using 'cheap' or bad hardware.

Please read my replies on this subject as that is not exactly what was said. I did say that "probably poor, cheap hardware" a couple months back but did not say it was for sure. That was based on the fact that some users said replacing the NIC fixed it. Then I found posts on other forums where users said that replacing the NIC made no difference for them. Believe me if we knew 100% for sure what was causing it for the current users we would fix it. As it is we're still trying many different methods in the new code in an attempt to reduce the I/O load and hopefully correct this issue for everyone.

Not sure how many of you were around or recall the "delayed windows write" error on USB years back but it was very common and affected millions of computers and various things were tried and finally I believe it was NEC that produced a firmware for the USB controller that pretty much put an end to that. Now days one rarely ever sees that error unless you're having an actual hardware type failure. The point being that no one knew the exact reason for it and different fixes fixed it for some but not for others.

We hope to have a beta of the next version available in the not too distant future so please check back and when the beta is available and give it a try and let us know the results please. We're hopeful that it will correct the issue.

If on the other hand you're not satisfied and would like a refund then please contact the Helpdesk and they will assist you with a refund if the product was purchased within the last 30 days or so.

Thank you again everyone.

Ron

Thank you for the answer. My replies were directed at the content of the comments I in this thread, whether or not they were actually said by anyone. 

I understand the many possible hardware and software combinations make it near impossible to get something to work flawlessly for everyone.

For now I'll leave the website blocking disabled, I'm good in that department (Avast Internet Security has a webshield and browser plugin and the Chrome blocks know malware hosting domains). When the new version (or beta) is released I'll give it a spin and report back my findings. Let's hope for the best.

If you re-read the posts on this topic I think you'll find that no one said your hardware was bad (I did say probably though). There really has to be a hardware or driver mix causing this for some or as said everyone would experience it.

We simply passed along information from other users that claimed that replacing their NIC card corrected it for them. I've seen posts where users have replaced the NIC card and it made no difference as well.

Please show me that post where we've said that. No one that I'm aware of has made that claim.

Here are some of the posts in 2013 that discuss this issue. Again, no one from Malwarebytes has said that replacing your hardware will fix it, only that some have said it did. We did make improvements that reduced the number of users experiencing this issue but yes it does still exist for some. We have again worked on a new method that we're hopeful will correct it for everyone in our new upcoming 2.x version due out a bit later next year. We are not hiding or trying to hide the fact that some users are affected by it but trying to claim that its an epidemic simply because your own system is affected by it is not even close to the truth and a bit discourteous to imply that it is (as posted elsewhere on the site, not here in this topic).

I think we've gone the extra mile trying to be honest and trying to help those affected by it and will continue to do so to the best of our ability.

Posted 05 September 2013

DPC Latency Spikes and audio glitches?

Posted 03 September 2013

Reduce of dpc latency (ip protection)

Posted 03 April 2013

Website Blocking, causes DPC Latency Spikes and audio glitches

Posted 26 March 2013

Protection Module causes latency

Posted 28 February 2013

Jittery audio

Posted 26 February 2013

long duration Deferred Procedure Calls (DPC)

Thanks for your response.  I'm not looking for a fight.  Too clear the record though, let's just be honest, whether you said "probably" bad hardware or not, a plain read of your comments (not just one) suggested that was your position such that we would probably need to live with the issue unless we changed our configuration. As to the latency not causing the audio problem, I think you're parsing words here too.  It would serve little purpose to re-read the threads just to make the point...I thought you said that basically everyone can use a latency detection tool and find spikes, yet these same people have no audio issues.  My take was that your position was that even if MB did cause latency that did not mean that this was the cause of the audio problem.  If I misread any of this, I stand corrected.  Just hoping we get a fix, and if you're looking for a beta tester I'd be glad to help.

Well, it's simple: MBAM website blocking on = high latency AND audio issues / MBAM website blocking off = low latency and no audio issues. So whether these two observations are causally connected or not does not matter, the website blocking feature seem to be the culprit of the audio issues.

Perhaps on your computer it is the case....

I think that's a pretty bold statement to say MBAM website blocking is the culprit. As there are hundreds of thousands of folks that do not have this issue, including myself..... Its not to start an argument, just stating my opinion....

As I told before, I understand it's impossible to make something work flawlessly on all possible combinations of hard- and software. But on my pc:

Windows 8.1 Professional N x64

Intel Q6600 quadcore

OCZ 4GB memory 

Gigabyte ga-p35c-ds3r (with Realtek RTL 8168 onboard NIC)

Asus Xonar DG audio card

XFX HD6870 1GB video card

With all drivers up to date. 

The combination with MBAM website blocking causes audio issues... Apart from a buggy Avast Firewall (since their latest update to version 2014 there's been a host of problems and complaints on their forums), there are no other programs causing these kind of problems on my pc. 

Specific enough for you?

I am not doubting your issue, and perhaps on your computer that is the case....

All in all I hope whatever is causing said issue gets resolved for those with this problem....

If this were my computer I am sure I would feel the same way as you do. Myself I fix computers for a living so I have an abundant amount of parts that I can switch out to try and find the problem. In your case I would add another network card and disable the onboard Realtek RTL 8168 and see if anything improves. It more that likely is a driver issue of some sort but not being in front of your computer is hard for anyone of us to track it down.

I do not know all the things you have tried so I can't make assumptions.

I'm not going to buy another network card to replace an onboard NIC that otherwise works flawlessly just to see if it might fix 1 non-essential function of a single app... 

I fix pc's (on a software level) for people as an on-the-side job (computer/information sciences student) so I think I know what I'm doing.

I am not questioning your abilities, and I clearly said if it was my computer... and also that I have the tools and parts to test things out without purchasing anything.... It is truly up to you as to what you would like to do with your computer and what software you will use on it... I was just stating my opinion and not asking you to do or buy anything....

• Root Admin

Let's all remain civil please.  As said yes it is a problem on some computers.  We should have a beta out soon so please do try that out when it comes out and let us know.

I'll close this topic now as there really is no new information aside from trying a beta when available.

Thank you again.