Malwarebyes hangs during scan after 3 minutes

Hi Administrators,

I am licensed user who is not able to use my copy of malwarebytes on Dell - Windows Vista laptop.

I have followed instructions from the forum thread http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=122926

I am herewith attaching the analysis report files from mb-check.exe and dds.exe.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Suhaas

CheckResults.txt

dds.txt

attach.txt

• Root Admin

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 02

Open REGEDIT.EXE and browse to the following locations and remove these entries on the right side by deleting the entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\Program Files\FolderSize\FolderSize.cpl

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\IObit SmartDefrag.exe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\dell\drivers\R173590\setup.exe

STEP 03

The log shows that you do not have MBAM set to start with Windows. I would recommend having it set to start with Windows

startwithwindows REG_DWORD 0 <--MBAM IS NOT SET TO START WITH WINDOWS

STEP 04

You appear to be running COMODO Internet Security which may not have exclusions set and why MBAM is having issues.

Even the DDS log you ran did not run properly and that's possibly due to COMODO Internet Security not being stopped when the scan was run.

The logs also show that you're running AVAST antivirus - you can only have 1 antivirus installed on the system and you need to choose one and fully uninstall the other one.

You also appear to possibly be running a paid version of Spybot Search & Destroy which is okay but it too may be conflicting with MBAM and would require further analysis to confirm.

You also have Sophos Anti-Rootkit 1.5.4

Nothing wrong with having additional security software but there is also overkill and you also need to verify and confirm that all programs you run will work with each other otherwise you're going to have issues like you're reporting.

STEP 05

The computer has BitTorrent, Vuze, as well as eMule installed also which can be a potential threat depending on use and configuration as well as a huge resource hog.

STEP 06

Unless you're creating specific Java code to be support on legacy systems I would highly recommend uninstalling ALL versions of Java and if possible don't reinstall.

If you really have to have Java then make sure you're always running only the very latest version as it is often exploited to allow your computer to get infected.

STEP 07

WARNING!!

The logs show you have the following installed: Wise Registry Cleaner 7.62

I would higly recommend you uninstall that and any other Registry cleaning tool you have as they will cause more harm than any perceived good.

All registry cleaners are pretty much SNAKE OIL

STEP 08

The logs show that you're running IObit SmartDefrag

The company behind this product was found to be stealing our database.

Personally I would not trust installing any software from a company that resorts to stealing someone's technology to sell their product.

Please see the following links and make up your own mind if you want to keep this on your system. If needed I can help you remove it.

Try doing the above cleanup recommendations and let us know if that helps or not. If not then please disable your antivirus and run a new DDS scan and MBAM-CHECK log and post them back again.

Thanks