laptop screen question

fivealive

i use "windex" and a soft cotton cloth (old diapers work great , but try to find a cotton diaper these days) .

have the cloth at the ready and the screen tilted back ...

lightly spritz across the top of the screen and gently clean using a circular motion .

you can catch any runs before they make it to the bottom .

common mistakes are :

using cheap-arsed paper towels (abrasive)

"flooding" with too much windex (you can always clean it twice)

after you do this a couple of times , it becomes a snap .

you can also dampen a cloth with windex and follow with a dry cloth .

man , you would not believe the crudded up screens i have seen/cleaned over the years ...

televisions (direct view and projection + optics) / monitors (crt and lcd) / laptop screens .

some are/were absolutely plumb nasty !

i would bet that some others here have "horror stories" to tell as well .

a "dusting cloth" is a no-no .

these usually contain oils and waxes ... they smear and leave a coating/film behind that actually attracts/hangs onto dust and what-have-you .

there are plenty of other aerosols in the air besides ciggy smoke .

i can tell when a comp or laptop is used in a kitchen area ... the greasy film and aroma that is left behind .

(heh ... and so it goes with electronic gear used in different places)

you can use old washcloths and hand towels too .

make sure that they are clean and have not been washed with any "fabric softeners" or those damnable "softener sheets" that are used in the dryer .

a brand of paper towel that can be used is "brawny" ... i bought them by the case for use at the shop .

Guest Seagull

I would not use Windex as Windex is designed for glass and most LCD TV's now a days and laptop screens aren't glass, you will streak the heck out of it and possibly ruin it.

I personally recommend buying some LCD screen cleaner, I purchased the Monster ScreenClean which is designed for LCD screens and it comes with a microfiber towel.

A microfiber towel will not scratch your LCD screen. I bought myself this Monster Screen cleaner and have been using it since I own my laptop and my big screen TV and it does

a very good job, my LCD screen on my laptop and my LED/LCD TV screen are like a mirror with no streaks.

I hope this helps. :)

I would not use Windex as Windex is designed for glass and most LCD TV's now a days and laptop screens aren't glass, you will streak the heck out of it and possibly ruin it.

I personally recommend buying some LCD screen cleaner, I purchased the Monster ScreenClean which is designed for LCD screens and it comes with a microfiber towel.

A microfiber towel will not scratch your LCD screen. I bought myself this Monster Screen cleaner and have been using it since I own my laptop and my big screen TV and it does

a very good job, my LCD screen on my laptop and my LED/LCD TV screen are like a mirror with no streaks.

I hope this helps. :)

Yep, I think you nailed it :).

Water works, but LCD screen cleaner is even better (it's saline as I recall, which is the same solution used for cleaning contact lenses and glasses) and a microfiber cloth is exactly what's used for cleaning glasses :).

"I would not use Windex as Windex is designed for glass and most LCD TV's now a days and laptop screens aren't glass, you will streak the heck out of it and possibly ruin it."

really ?

i have been using "windex" on all manner of screens for close to 40 years with no problems .

it also works great on plexiglas windows .

a major problem is abrasive "towels" of any type . these will leave fine scratches in the surface .

a "dirty" towel , one that contains small amounts of "dirt" that cannot be seen by eyeball is to be avoided .

(i keep all my screen cleaning cloths separated from the other towels after i wash them out)

do not use "rubbing alcohol" (or similar fluids) on screens ... this stuff does have the extreme possibility of damaging the coatings on some screens .

do not use "household cleaners" (ie : 409 / tub and tile cleaners / bleaching-disinfecting solutions , etc .) .

some of you here may recall the old "microfiche" projection readers ...

some of these had a "frosted" glass screen that was not a truly etched surface ; it was a coating .

we had such a machine in a shop i worked for . one of the techs decided to clean it ...

he used rubbing alcohol on it ... the "frosting" dissolved and a piece of clear plexiglas was left behind .

man , he was surprised !

(i suspect that it was a "cheap" screen and used a salt of some type .)

the screen surfaces on modern equipment are much more durable .

they are designed with the idea in mind that "joe consumer" is going to clean them with (a) commonly available product(s) .

the users manual often outlines a safe cleaning procedure .

Guest Seagull

Everyone I know that ever used Windex on a LCD screen it streaked the heck out of it. After using Windex and cleaning your screen, keep the TV off and get a flash light and shine it at the TV, there's a good chance you will see streaks.

I just personally like to use something that is designed for use for a specific purpose. I just looked on the back of my Windex bottle and it has a list that says "Used for" and

LCD screens wasn't one of them. I am not saying it will not work but I rather not take the chance. Thats just my two cents.

• 2 months later...

its a wonder laptop manufacturers have not devised a way to take the screen outer cover off.it would make life so much easier and there is nothing more annoying than seeing marks on your laptop screen.Im a bit of a perfectionist and i want things to glean brightly lol.

Regards. :)