Interesting directory

mikeruth

Good day all, I have been in PC repair for many years and with the on slaught of malware it is indeed a never ending battle.

While working on a Windows Vista system today I was running MalwareBytes and noticed it was scanning a directory I did not know about.

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\Content.IE5\odd folder names as we have seen before.

I had ran Ccleaner on this system minuets earlier yet there was a significant number of folders and data in each. Looking at my own system those folder did not exisist other than typical index.dat files.

Sooo, I guess my question is, can we delte that data as we would if it were under the user account?

Thanks

Mike R

Microsoft Security Support for VISTA Ends on April 10th, I'm not sure how much time you want to put into that System, except to Upgrade it.

You can find your own Personal End of Support date here. It's also known as the Product LifeCycle

[url="http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=9"]http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=14&y=9[/url]

Hello and :welcome: Without looking at the content of the folder its hard to tell.

From the name of the folder it seems like they are temp files from IE. You could always move the folders someplace else and then restart and see if the computer works OK. Also an inspection of the files may shed some light as to what they are (like temp files).

Did you check the IE settings to see what the temp file location is set to?

@RJGoodhouse BTW support for windows vista has been extended.....

Support end date for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are as follows:

Windows XP 4/8/2014

Windows Vista 4/11/2017

Windows 7 1/14/2020

• 2 weeks later...

Mike R:

You can dump the folder. Not sure what you expect to gain but it is a OS System generated TIF.

Thanks for the info, nothing to be gained other than privacy, After clearing out the user folders etc, a consideralble amount of info was found there leading me to where the user had been on the PC.

Also concerned that writers of Malicious software might be able to use that as a place to store instalation files. That was the first time I had heard of that location.

Thx

Mike R