long duration Deferred Procedure Calls (DPC)

• Root Admin

@JDLK

Please do the following steps and let's see if we can get your computer running a bit better in general.

STEP 1

Please see the following link for a possible solution to this issue with your System Volsnap.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========

26-Feb-13 08:52:32, Error: volsnap [36] - The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

==== End Of File ===========================

STEP 2

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 3

Please run a FULL disk check on your hard drive. It should take at least about 10 minutes up to a few hours depending on your hardware and how many files and folders are on the system.

How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7

STEP 4

I see you have µTorrent installed. It's not currently running but it can certainly be a resource hog as well as making it much easier to infect your computer.

Just something to be aware of and cautious when using it.

STEP 5

Your version of Java is old and is running compromised code that can very easily allow a Website to infect your computer silently.

I highly recommend you remove ALL versions of Java from your computer and if you can do without Java please do, if not then at least keep tabs on it and only run the very latest versions of Java.

Java 7 Update 11

Java Advanced Imaging Image I/O Tools 1.1 for JRE

Java Auto Updater

STEP 6

Unless you absolutely need all of these applications starting and running every time you start the computer then they're wasting a ton of resources.

I would recommend removing anything you don't need to run on startup. Reviewing what you have installed and run I would think you've had or have issues of slowness just in general as it has a ton of software installed.

uRun: [Rainlendar2] C:\Program Files\Rainlendar2\Rainlendar2.exe

uRun: [CintaNotes] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CintaNotes\CintaNotes.exe" -m

uRun: [Directory Opus Desktop Dblclk] "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /dblclk

uRun: [AdobeBridge] <no file>

uRunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_11_5_502_135_ActiveX.exe -update activex

mRun: [AdobeCS5ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\CS5ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin

mRun: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot

mRun: [RUSB3MON] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\rusb3mon.exe"

mRun: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

mRun: [ATNSOFT Key Remapper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATNSOFT Key Remapper\keyremapper.exe" /startup

mRun: [FmsProxy] "C:\Program Files (x86)\High-Logic MainType\FmsProxy.exe"

mRun: [tvncontrol] "C:\Program Files (x86)\TightVNC\tvnserver.exe" -controlservice -slave

mRun: [P-150 CaptureOnTouch] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon Electronics\P150\TouchDR.exe" LOGON

mRun: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

mRun: [FileAgent] C:\Program Files (x86)\FileCenter\Main\FileAgent.exe

mRun: [My Movies Tray] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Binnerup Consult\My Movies Collection Management\My Movies Tray.exe"

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\AGYNAM~1.LNK - C:\Program Files\Simidude\Simidude.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\Calendar.lnk - D:\Programs\Calendar\Calendar.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\CLIPCA~1.LNK - C:\Program Files\ClipCache\clipc.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\DIGIGU~1.LNK - D:\Programs\DigiGuide TV Guide\Client.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\DIRECT~1.LNK - C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\Dropbox.lnk - C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\EmEditor.lnk - C:\Program Files\EmEditor\emedtray.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\ETHERV~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Ethervane Echo\ethervaneecho.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\FASTCH~1.LNK - C:\zPrograms\FastCheck\FastCheck.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\HANDYA~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Handy Address Book\habook.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\LOCATE~1.LNK - C:\Program Files\Locate32\locate32.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\Mempad.lnk - D:\Programs\Mempad\Mempad.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\ONENOT~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\Stickies.lnk - C:\Program Files (x86)\Stickies\stickies.exe

StartupFolder: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\STOICJ~1.LNK - D:\Programs\T-Clock 2010\x64\Clock.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\INSTAL~2.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\lpuninstall.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\INSTAL~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\lpuninstall.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\MACROE~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Express3\MacExp.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\PopChar.lnk - C:\Program Files\Ergonis\PopChar\PopChar.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\WINDOW~1.LNK - C:\Program Files\Windows Firewall Control\wfc.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\AUTORU~1\LISTPR~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Ilium Software\ListPro\ListProAlarms.exe

StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\AUTORU~1\LISTPR~2.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Ilium Software\ListPro\ListProSync.exe

STEP 7

What version of avast are you running on the computer?

Thank you

• Root Admin

@Insomniac

Please run the following steps

STEP 1

Please do as requested for JDLK and backup your Registry with ERUNT then open REGEDIT.EXE and browse to this location

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

Then delete this entry

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe

STEP 2

Same thing for you. Though you have a new version of Java you still have an old one too which means the threat is still on your computer.

You should fully remove ALL versions of Java and if possible try to do without Java, but if not then make sure you always have the newest version installed and remove all older versions.

Java 7 Update 15

Java Auto Updater

Java™ 6 Update 22

Your version of Thunderbird is way out of date and should be updated. Current version should be 17.0.3

Mozilla Thunderbird 10.0.2 (x86 en-US)

STEP 3

Please run a FULL disk check on your hard drive. It should take at least about 10 minutes up to a few hours depending on your hardware and how many files and folders are on the system.

How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7

STEP 4

As you can see here from the Event Logs your computer is having quite a few issues that you should try to correct.

I'll see if I can assist you with them.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========

28/02/2013 2:46:04 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7031] - The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 30000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

28/02/2013 2:46:04 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7024] - The Windows Search service terminated with service-specific error %%-1073473535.

27/02/2013 2:46:11 PM, Error: Disk [11] - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR3.

27/02/2013 2:07:57 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7011] - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.

27/02/2013 11:07:45 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7009] - A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Search service to connect.

27/02/2013 11:07:45 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Windows Search service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

27/02/2013 11:07:45 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

27/02/2013 11:01:08 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7023] -

27/02/2013 10:55:02 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7043] - The Windows Update service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.

27/02/2013 10:19:47 AM, Error: NetBT [4321] - The name "JAMES-PC :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 150.203.64.127. The computer with the IP address 150.203.67.173 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

27/02/2013 10:19:47 AM, Error: NetBT [4321] - The name "JAMES-PC :0" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 150.203.64.127. The computer with the IP address 150.203.67.173 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

26/02/2013 8:17:44 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7009] - A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client Service service to connect.

26/02/2013 8:17:44 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The Steam Client Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

23/02/2013 6:21:39 PM, Error: Microsoft Antimalware [2001] - Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures. New Signature Version: Previous Signature Version: 1.145.209.0 Update Source: Microsoft Update Server Update Stage: Search Source Path: http://www.microsoft.com Signature Type: AntiVirus Update Type: Full User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Current Engine Version: Previous Engine Version: 1.1.9203.0 Error code: 0x8024402c Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

23/02/2013 6:03:02 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient [20] - Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070103: Microsoft - Game Devices, Other hardware - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play & Charge Kit.

23/02/2013 5:39:54 PM, Error: Microsoft Antimalware [2001] - Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures. New Signature Version: Previous Signature Version: 1.145.209.0 Update Source: Microsoft Update Server Update Stage: Install Source Path: http://www.microsoft.com Signature Type: AntiVirus Update Type: Full User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Current Engine Version: Previous Engine Version: 1.1.9203.0 Error code: 0x80240016 Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

23/02/2013 5:39:54 PM, Error: Microsoft Antimalware [2001] - Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures. New Signature Version: Previous Signature Version: 1.145.209.0 Update Source: Microsoft Update Server Update Stage: Install Source Path: http://www.microsoft.com Signature Type: AntiVirus Update Type: Full User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Current Engine Version: Previous Engine Version: 1.1.9203.0 Error code: 0x80240016 Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

23/02/2013 5:39:54 PM, Error: Microsoft Antimalware [2001] - Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures. New Signature Version: Previous Signature Version: 1.145.209.0 Update Source: Microsoft Update Server Update Stage: Download Source Path: http://www.microsoft.com Signature Type: AntiVirus Update Type: Full User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Current Engine Version: Previous Engine Version: 1.1.9203.0 Error code: 0x80240016 Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

23/02/2013 11:37:09 AM, Error: Microsoft Antimalware [2001] - Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures. New Signature Version: Previous Signature Version: 1.145.209.0 Update Source: Microsoft Update Server Update Stage: Search Source Path: http://www.microsoft.com Signature Type: AntiVirus Update Type: Full User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Current Engine Version: Previous Engine Version: 1.1.9203.0 Error code: 0x8024402f Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

2/03/2013 7:44:10 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7038] - The nvUpdatusService service was unable to log on as .\UpdatusUser with the currently configured password due to the following error: Logon failure: the specified account password has expired. To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

2/03/2013 7:44:10 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The NVIDIA Update Service Daemon service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not start due to a logon failure.

2/03/2013 7:41:58 PM, Error: NetBT [4321] - The name "JAMES-PC :0" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 150.203.64.127. The computer with the IP address 150.203.66.90 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

2/03/2013 5:02:45 PM, Error: BTHUSB [17] - The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

2/03/2013 12:04:39 AM, Error: Server [2505] - The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{88AB20AE-BB39-46F2-910F-CEE37EF07534} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

2/03/2013 12:04:39 AM, Error: NetBT [4321] - The name "JAMES-PC :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 150.203.64.127. The computer with the IP address 150.203.66.90 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

==== End Of File ===========================

STEP 5

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • If prompted by the User Account Control click Yes to allow it to run.
  • Under Actions click on the Search button.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the entire contents of that logfile to your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt where the number in brackets indicates how often it was run.

STEP 6

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

Once I get back those logs we can proceed from there

Thanks

• Root Admin

@Crumbs

Your computer actually shows signs of a possible infection. It's probably best that you actually have someone help you double-check and if anything found for sure remove it and if needed then come back.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you

@AdvancedSetup: I'm currently very busy with uni and a few other commitments, so I'll hold off on troubleshooting my system for the moment. What I will try, when I get time, is to figure out which version of MBAM first introduced the sound popping on my system. If I get more time than that, I might try a fresh Win 7 install and test for the audio problem again. That would narrow it straight down to hardware, drivers and MBAM as there would be no other potential sources of the issue present.

Thanks for your help.

• Root Admin

I really don't think it is a version. I think you need to clean up your system Insomnia otherwise any attempt at program review will be futile.

If you don't have time right now that's okay. Please just wait until you do have time as trying to work on an issue when you don't have time won't be helpful.

Thanks

@AdvancedSetup: Maybe you missed this portion of my posts, but I'll lay out why I'm about 95% sure a version at least increased the problem.

1) Used website blocking for the past year, no audio stutter, made regular system images in case of issues with my computer.

2) Noticed the audio issue in the last few weeks.

3) Restored my system, from an image made 4 months ago when the system was NOT experiencing this issue. Tested, and issue was completely resolved.

4) Updated MBAM to latest version. Issue instantly returned.

Whether my system has other issues now or not is beside the point, because when I restored to a known good point, the issue only returned once MBAM updated.

EDIT: Seeing as MBAM's last major version change was at a time when I wasn't experiencing this issue (1.65.1.1000, I believe), I might just quickly do a test and see if my audio problem changes or not.

• Root Admin

I did not miss what you said but apparently you missed what I replied with. Your computer has issues already. Uninstall our software and your computer still has issues not the least of which as I mentioned it is probably slow on it's own due to the sheer amount of software installed. I'm simply trying to assist you in cleaning your computer and getting it to a point where it can hopefully run our program without having this issue.

We have well over 100 million users of the program and I'm sure if you search you will find but a handful of these issues. We know and have admitted that our program is heavy on IO resources but most users don't have this issue but again most users don't have anywhere near the amount of software installed that you do. Can cleaning up your system and getting rid of these Event Log issue correct the problem for you? I don't know but it is certainly a step in the right direction. As I said and if you review what I replied to you with - these are computer problems that exist even without our software.

Fair enough. But I just tested with version 1.65.1.1000 and it does not cause the issue. If I get time, it would be faster to do a fresh format than try and solve the event log issues.

I've also noticed that one of the other uses reporting this problem is on an almost identical laptop model to mine, and Exile seems to think it's to do with the way the driver shares certain resources between onboard audio and LAN... I don't think it's just the software on my computer causing this problem. I think it's to do with how Asus has chosen to handle LAN and audio on some of their laptops. Anyway, when I get more time I might test again on a fresh install of Windows. Far easier than dealing with all the uncontrollable variables on a system I use every day.

At the very least, on my system the newest version of MBAM seems to be far heavier than the past versions when it comes to latency.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

@JDLK

Please do the following steps and let's see if we can get your computer running a bit better in general.

<snip>

Thank you for the detailed advice -- I'll work my way through the list. I'm using the most recent version of Avast (v7 home edition).

If you don't mind I think I will leave well enough alone. My system is running fine now since disabling MBAM's malicious website blocking. It did the problem in Windows 7 as well with hardly anything installed so its something with that protection feature that my system doesn't like. I've seen many others with the same issue on support forums with MBAM.