New Database numbering format

Greetings all :)

We have changed our database numbering scheme so that it is compatible with new features in our upcoming 1.60 version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This change also enhances our users' ability to be able to decipher when a database was created and released. The number '9' at the beginning of the database version is there for compatibility (since our previous naming scheme reached over 8000, thus the '9' at the beginning tells the product that any database that starts with this new naming scheme is newer than the one that is installed).

Below is an example:

Here's how these numbers break down:

• As stated above, the number 9 tells older versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Maware that used the old database naming scheme that this database is newer than any of the previous 8xxx database versions
  • The 11 that follows the 9 represents the year
  • The 12 that follows the 11 represents the month
  • The 20 that follows the 12 represents the day
  • The 06 that follows the 20 represents the number of the database released on that particular day, so in this case, the database 911122006 is the 6th database released on December 20th, 2011

For our upcoming release, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60, the database version will appear as below:

v2011.12.20.06

Here's how this database format breaks down:

• v represents version
  • 2011 represents the year
  • 12 represents the month
  • 20 represents the day
  • 06 represents the number of the database released on that particular day, so as above, v2011.12.20.06 would be the 6th database released on December 20th, 2011

Using this new naming scheme, a user or support helper can easily determine if the database used is fairly current or badly outdated.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Using this new naming scheme, a user or support helper can easily determine if the database used is fairly current or badly outdated."

Why not just use the date, directly above the update version? Or is that also going away?

I've no problem with the new version designation at all. When it changed I imagined a new MBAM was on the way.

Will MBAM now automatically work with our Anti-Virus programs, or do we integrate them in the same old way, so that they ignore one another?

Thanks and looking forward beyond the new Beta release.

Some in this thread are hotlinking to announcement posts elsewhere <_<

This does not allow the reader the benefit of the full thread.

Those at MBAM that have my Twitter have been notified.

Regards,

"Using this new naming scheme, a user or support helper can easily determine if the database used is fairly current or badly outdated."

Why not just use the date, directly above the update version? Or is that also going away?

We will use the date in the UI still, this naming scheme gets more specific though. It tells you which number of database it is on a particular day, something the date info does not tell you.

Will MBAM now automatically work with our Anti-Virus programs, or do we integrate them in the same old way, so that they ignore one another?

Unfortunately no, exclusions are still often required (and a good idea anyway). We don't develop those other companies' products, so there's not much we can do to make them work better alongside our product.

Well, that puts an end to my "fun with MBAM Pro updates" tracking. :P Tho the dated format is a really good and welcome move.

My initial install of v1.44 on January 30, 2010 started with database 3458. And the last one I noticed was yesterday's 8406. That calculates out to a most excellent average of seven updates a day - a rate unmatched by almost everyone else in the industry.

Looking forward to v1.6.

Good luck and best wishes to the Malwarebytes crew in 2012 and beyond!

Hey guys.

I am in Venezuela. South America, more or less USA Eastern time zone, and I have noticed that with this new database numbering format I get tomorrow updates, 911122201, today, late in the afternoon . I thought MBAM was in California, USA almost 4 hours earlier than me. Unless MBAM has servers in Europe and I am getting the updates from there it does not make any sence.

Any thoughts.

Hey guys.

I am in Venezuela. South America, more or less USA Eastern time zone, and I have noticed that with this new database numbering format I get tomorrow updates, 911122201, today, late in the afternoon . I thought MBAM was in California, USA almost 4 hours earlier than me. Unless MBAM has servers in Europe and I am getting the updates from there it does not make any sence.

Any thoughts.

Yes, our home office is in San Jose, California. We're using the GMT for the database release date so that it is universal.