Java Problem

Hi, trying50: :)

Can you please post a screenshot of what you're seeing, as I don't think that this message comes from MBAM -- perhaps it's from your browser or your AV?

(I know that Firefox has been automatically blocking Java because of the security risk; not sure about other browsers.)

Having said that, yes, unless you absolutely MUST have JRE (aka Java) to run a particular program or use a particular website, you ought to completely uninstall Java from your computer, as even the most recent version (7u11) does not adequately plug the severe security hole.

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=121272

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=121012

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=121003

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=120803

http://forums.malwar...howtopic=121142

If you MUST have it, use the one-click kill switch in the Java Control panel to disable it in your browsers; if you use a website that needs it, you'll be prompted to temporarily enable it: How do I disable Java in my web browser?

This approach can be used to remove ALL Java from the system:

Why should I uninstall older versions of Java from my system?

If you want to be absolutely sure you have removed all traces from your computer, consider this special tool: JavaRa

HTH,

daledoc1

PS The mods might move this topic to the PC Help section, as it doesn't appear to be directly related to MBAM. ;)

Hi and thanks for your quick reply. Cant reproduce the image because I cant get my uploader to photobucket to work. Anyway, when i bring up the mbam window just prior to scanning, I usually click on the update tab before startying the scan. On the window that appears there is a 'Latest News' sideheading with a link to the mbam blog. When I click on that link, the Java info appears.

Hi and thanks for your quick reply. Cant reproduce the image because I cant get my uploader to photobucket to work. Anyway, when i bring up the mbam window just prior to scanning, I usually click on the update tab before startying the scan. On the window that appears there is a 'Latest News' sideheading with a link to the mbam blog. When I click on that link, the Java info appears.

When I click on the "Latest News" link in the MBAM GUI, it takes me to the MBAM blog page in my default browser (Firefox) that discusses the Java security problem (see screen shot).

(I do not get any kind of error message, but I do not have Java on my computer.)

>>Is this what you are seeing?

If not, since you are clicking on a link to generate the message, it would appear that the message is being generated by your browser because you have Java installed and enabled.

AFAIK Firefox, for example, may still be automatically blocking Java because of the current security concerns.

>>What browser (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc) & version are you using?

Again, the advice from security experts is to completely remove all traces of Java from the computer.

If that's not possible because it's needed to run a particular program or to use a particular website, then it should be disabled until you "need" it.

Please check out the links in the forum topics I provided, as well as the links at java.com for uninstalling and disabling it.

If you are still having problems, please follow the instructions below to run the DDS scan tool.

Then post back here with BOTH logs attached to your next reply.

That will provide the experts with a bit of info about your system to help them sort this out.

Thanks,

daledoc1

----------------------------

DDS Instructions

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

post-29793-0-59002300-1358693449.png

This is the page and the info I am referring to:

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/

Righto.

If you click the "Latest News" link in the MBAM UI and your browser opens that blog page, that is normal. :)

The blog page reinforces the advice of other security experts to warn folks about the Java problem and what to do about it.

(See my last reply, which crossed with yours in cyberspace. ;) )

Are you saying that you see something else, or some kind of error message, or some sort of dialog window from your browser?

If so, please try to describe more clearly what you are seeing, and please follow my recommendations in my last reply to post your DDS scan logs.

Thanks,

daledoc1

When I click on the "Latest News" link in the MBAM GUI, it takes me to the MBAM blog page in my default browser (Firefox) that discusses the Java security problem

>>Is this what you are seeing?............................Yes

>>What browser (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc) & version are you using?......................IE

Again, the advice from security experts is to completely remove all traces of Java from the computer. .......................Uninstalled now.

If that's not possible because it's needed to run a particular program or to use a particular website, then it should be disabled until you "need" it...............like this idea and may attempt to put it into practice.

I'm not having problems but was concerned when I read that info about java.

I'm not having problems but was concerned when I read that info about java.

AHHHH, OK. :) :) :)

Sorry for misunderstanding. :(

So, we're back to what I thought was your original question and my original answer. :lol:

The links in my original reply (and the hyperlinks within those forum topic posts):

• Explain the nature and severity of the problem -- also: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617
  • How to uninstall Java (safest practice) -- be sure to uninstall ALL versions & traces of Java that are on the computer
  • How to disable Java in your web browsers (if you must keep it installed)

Let us know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

daledoc1

PS As I mentioned in my original reply, it's possible the mod team may move this thread to another area of the forum. ;)

Until daledoc1 returns.... I can answer these two questions for you....

I assume your talking about JavaRa...

1. yes this tool is safe to use

2. To know if you need java all depends on the software you have installed and what websites you visit. If you remove Java and everything on your computer works fine and the sites you visit work fine as well, then you probably did not need Java. I use some computers that require it, but I also have a couple that I don't have it installed (my kids computers).

Thanks so much for your help. Last 2 questions:

1 Is this tool absolutely safe to use,and;

Haven't used it myself, but, yes, JavaRa is from a reliable source and is safe to use: http://forums.malwar...howtopic=108966

Theoretically, you ought not to need it if you follow the uninstall instructions at java.com and are able to successfully & cleanly remove all Java.

There are several forum threads about it here & at other computer help forums.

2 How will I know if I really need Java?

As Firefox explained, if everything -- including all your third-party programs -- works OK without Java, then you don't need it.

For the browser part, if you visit a webpage that has Java-dependent content and Java is either not present on your system or it is disabled, you'll get some sort of dialog window alerting you to the "missing Java plug-in" or some such, and it will prompt you to install it.

If you do reinstall, be sure to note the following:

• The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY safe and legit download site is at java.com -- you might want to bookmark the link (http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp)
  • Be sure to watch carefully during the setup wizard, because you may need to OPT-OUT (un-tick, disable) the installation of bundled cr@pware that might come with it -- do not click "next" buttons without making sure you are not allowing installation of this junk

OTOH If you have it, but it's disabled, you can temporarily enable it via the Security tab in the Java Control Panel, as explained here: How do I disable Java in my web browser?

HTH,

daledoc1

1. Have downloaded latest java but when I try to follow disabling instructions via the link, when i type in 'java control panel' into the control panel seach box, nothing is found.

2 Computer now asking if I want ti install 'Java Plug-in SSV Helper add-on and I dont know if I do want it or even need it.

Hi:

I guess you changed your mind? ;)

(Last you wrote, you had uninstalled Java.)

1. Have downloaded latest java but when I try to follow disabling instructions via the link, when i type in 'java control panel' into the control panel seach box, nothing is found.

How do I disable Java in my web browser?

After you download the Java installer, you then have to RUN it to install Java.

It will be listed in the Windows control panel under "Programs and Features", if it's installed.

If you did that and still can't find the JCP, I'm not sure what to tell you, but there is an alternate method of locating it in that tutorial linked above. :(

I don't know your version of Windows, but have you tried "Start" button/orb (bottom left of desktop display) > "Control Panel" > "Programs"?

You should see Java listed in that Window. Clicking that will open the JCP.

2 Computer now asking if I want ti install 'Java ™ Plug-in SSV Helper add-on and I dont know if I do want it or even need it.

Sorry, no idea about that one.

It's likely something related to IE, which I don't use.

Personally, I would not install Java and I would avoid any "extra" plugins and add-ons related to it.

YMMV, :)

daledoc1