Can't Install due to malware / virus??

Hello:

I appearently picked up a virus / malware which was hijacking my browser and causing problems with my desktop. It was recomended I download Malwarebytes and install and run.

Unfortunately when I try to install it (Malwarebytes) it wont install. I just get the hourglass for 5 seconds, then nothing. (I have successfully installed on other machines, so I know I am doing it correctly.)

I seem to be able to use and install other programs except this program AND Superantispyware which was also recomended to me. Could the Malware be prohibiting this? Is there any work around?

BTW- I have been doing this all in "Safe" Mode.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello:

I appearently picked up a virus / malware which was hijacking my browser and causing problems with my desktop. It was recomended I download Malwarebytes and install and run.

Unfortunately when I try to install it (Malwarebytes) it wont install. I just get the hourglass for 5 seconds, then nothing. (I have successfully installed on other machines, so I know I am doing it correctly.)

I seem to be able to use and install other programs except this program AND Superantispyware which was also recomended to me. Could the Malware be prohibiting this? Is there any work around?

BTW- I have been doing this all in "Safe" Mode.

Thanks,

Dave

SOrry !!! I just saw the sticky on this...I'll try the remedies listed and see what happens ....

Greetings.

To get you fixed up please follow the instructions here:

I'm infected - What do I do now?

And post your logs in a new topic here:

Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal or scanning tools exept those that you are

instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult.

note: if for some reason you are unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one.

If you can't even run HijackThis, then just post here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs describing your issues and an expert will reply with further instructions.

I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing. :)

Dave2,

The best thing to do is rename the install file from mbam-setup to something like mbam-setup4992. The 4992 is just a random number I came up with. It should then let you install it without any problems. I recommend doing this in safe mode mode though. Also, once the program is installed you might need to rename the mbam.exe file to mbam422.exe so it will open. A lot of time the malware that is on your machine will prevent malwarebytes from installing and running if you don't rename the files.

Dave2,

The best thing to do is rename the install file from mbam-setup to something like mbam-setup4992. The 4992 is just a random number I came up with. It should then let you install it without any problems. I recommend doing this in safe mode mode though. Also, once the program is installed you might need to rename the mbam.exe file to mbam422.exe so it will open. A lot of time the malware that is on your machine will prevent malwarebytes from installing and running if you don't rename the files.

Sulliman24:

Thanks for the thought. I tried that. It did allow me to start the install, but them it would "hang up" when the installation was almost 100% complete.

Dave

Something wicked this way comes. I had been aqble to monitor and control the malware on my computer using Malwarebytes and Hijack this, but 5 days ago something strange occurred. I was asked to upgrade my version of media player and since then everything has been out of my control. Malwarbytes and hijack this would not run. I tried removing them and reinstalling them and they won't reinstall. Hijack this seems to reinstall, but isn't really there. Malwarebytes will go all the way through the installation process and just freeze.

I am out of my league and could really use some help. Thank you, Art.

Dave2,

You definitely tried installing MBAM in safe mode right? Be sure that you are not selecting safe mode with networking. You want to be certain no other programs are running and your internet connection is disabled which is obviously the whole point of safe mode. Truly I don't have an answer as to why the install is hanging especially if you are doing it in safe mode. When you boot into safe mode is there any programs that are actually starting for some odd reason? Are there any suspicious looking processes running in the task manager?