My friends desktop that had the Antivirus 2009 on it... Well I cleaned that off with MBAM :) And I ran ATF cleaner on it as well.

Well I was just looking through RubbeR DuckY's postings in the Malware Removal Guides and Self Help Guides.. and I came across a couple of fake programs that were supposedly for "curing the registry"....

Another friend of ours downloaded something called RegCure on her desktop towards the end of May. I hadn't touched it since the beginning of May (last time I was there until early June recently). McAfee had had an issue with Mbam apparently, so they got rid of that (hopefully I can get it to work again next time I am there).

She's complained that the computer is really slow (and has been for a few years now). It's an XP, Service Pack 3, and was probably purchased in 2002 or 2003. This friend of ours deleted my old account off of there thinking that might be why it was slow (I used to live there so I used this computer a lot), but my files got saved, thankfully. I put them on a thumb drive, but I don't dare put them on my computer now because of the past Antivirus 2009 infection, even though I think I cleaned it off. So he downloaded RegCure. The only protection it has now is McAfee :/

Does anyone know if RegCure is legit? I asked him about it when he called my friend last time I was there, but he was half drunk :/ He said it was a really good program...

I googled it but I didn't dare actually click on any of the links just in case, I just read the one or two liners that come up when you do a search. It looked like it was okay but who knows.

Yes RegCure is legit.

http://www.regcure.com/

Personally, I prefer to use CCleaner which has a built in registry cleaner. CCleaner is free to use and can be downloaded below.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

If you are looking for an alternative Registry Cleaner that costs money just like Reg Cure, I recommend getting Registry Mechanic. It is made by a company called PC Tools. I use a lot of their products and are really great.

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

I hope this helps.

Thanks Sulliman :) Good to know its legit. He told me that it was free though? (regcure). He said it was a really good cookie cleaner?

I have been meaning to download CC cleaner on that machine, I just haven't been able to yet. I need to dl it on here too :) I've been using ATF cleaner for a few months now, but I only do it once a month or so.

Hmm I've used some PC Tools products before and didn't have good luck with them. Slowed down my system horribly. Thanks anyway though for the recommendation.

It's not legit actually. It's a great program by Paretologic. A well know company in the antivirus industry.

Here are some links, check them out:

SPAM REMOVED

I use it myself, it has shown quite a bit of performance.

And it's not free.

But it might not always work for everyone though. Some people do have problems with it. But for alot it works.

Though it's not very popular.

ADMIN EDIT :

Paretologic is not recommended or supported by this website or the security community .

mountaintree16,

RegCure is not free. It is not a cookie cleaner, rather it is a registry cleaner. PC Tools products are great, but truly programs like PCTIS and Spyware Doctor are better run on fast machines.

genius12,

You are contradicting yourself by saying it isn't legit, and then saying it's a great program. I am guessing that was typo on your part.

Well I suppose they don't have very good support, but they are still a legit company. The author of this topic was asking if the program RegCure was legit or not. There are many different rogue registry cleaners out there and the author was afraid that RegCure was one of them. RegCure is definitely not one of them. It might not be the greatest product or company, but it is a legit product in my opinion.

Their security software asks users with a scan that clearly shows malware to type their critical cred card info into that confirmed infected machine to enable removal .

This is the line between security companies that are serious about security and serious about $ .

In my mind there is a clear line between legit company and legit security company .

@ Nosirrah

Hmm. So it sounds to me that this program (regcure) is in fact, something that should not be used and is a rogue? Or is it borderline?

Agreed, it's not quite rogue, but Paretologic has been known to make rogue products in the past and I have never trusted them. If you check user reviews of their software on McAfee's Siteadvisor as well as pages like yahoo answers and CNET you'll see many dissatisfied customers and complaints of them being rogueish.

@ Nossirah & Exile

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. I'm glad to know that at least it's not a virus or an actual rogue itself. I'll clean it off that machine next time I visit though, and I hope that Mbam will work on it again. 'tupid McAfee :P I think he downloaded a few other things too. Can't remember what they are though.

@ Exile

Ugh, lovely.... thanks for the warning.

I had it all cleaned up with MBAM and everything, and then McAfee whines about MBAM and then he goes and installs this on it. The computer honestly isn't even that slow... at least not compared to what mine was :P lol.

My friends mother is the main one that uses this computer now, and she does financial stuff for a group she belongs to... peoples checks and whatnot are scanned in and PDF'd to her... which is one reason why I am concerned, and the other obviously... viruses and malware just don't need to be on computers :) Speaking of PDF... I need to update her Adobe and Java on there... I'm only there about once a month though (sometimes more), and I'm there to visit, but I try to do what I can on the computer too while I am there. She doesn't know much about computers at all, and didn't want to pay for any AV. At least the ISP provides something, even if it is McAfee :/. Before she dl'd that, I had AVG free on there, and had been considering AVAST or AVIRA, but now she's set with McAfee.