Antivirus

Falcao

Uhmm, i dont know where i should put this. If it's in the wrong place, please move it.

Can someone tell me a good free antivirus? I'm using right now Avast 7 (i think), but i'm afraid that my PC is not still secured. So i'm looking for a better antivirus, probably lite one. I have heard that Comodo has a good firewall, but it's not lite. Some one two combo would be nice.

And a bonus question! What doe's a IP changer program do? I know it changes my IP, but can i still use my internet after that? Does it mess up something in my computer? Because i have my Xbox connected to the modem, so will i lose some stuff in my xbox? Like BF3 online pass? IP noob over here :(

Second bonus question! How can i keep my computer fast and clean. I'm running a Windows Vista 32-bit. I have Ccleaner and i use it once a weak. And i have that Disk Defrag thing too. I have used msconfig to remove some programs from starting, but still my computer is kinda slow.Thanks!

Hello and welcome, falcao: :)

Can't answer all of your questions, but there will be several very smart and helpful folks who likely will.

I personally have always used a paid AV/firewall suite and have been very happy with KIS for 2 years.

For free AVs, Avast! and MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) seem to be the ones most often recommended here, along with avira.

Alongside MBAM PRO, any one of these will provide a pretty robust combination.

Not sure about 3rd-party, standalone firewalls -- I've seen quite a lot recently about Comodo not being as good as it used to be.

You will probably get 101 opinions from 100 folks. :D

As far as the slow computer thing, please take a look at this excellent pinned topic -- "Slow PC? Start Here".

CCleaner, ATF Cleaner and some others are good & safe for cleaning up temp files and the like.

Whatever you do, DON'T use "registry cleaners" and "registry optimizers" or even the registry cleaning feature in CCleaner, etc.

They do nothing to improve performance.

Rather, they are more likely to screw up your computer.

See HERE.

Not sure which Disk Defrag program you are talking about, but I'll bet that most of the experts here will also frown on them, too.

(Windows Vista and 7 have a pretty decent built-in defragmenter that can be configured to run silently on a regular basis.)

Finally, poor performance can also be a result of infection -- just something to consider.

If you do think you might be infected, let us know and we'll provide some more specific recommendations on how to get your system checked.

Others will have more info for you, I am sure.

Cheers!

daledoc1

:welcome:

Avast! is a good program and highly recommended here. :) You may also want to install an alternative browser to Internet Explorer like Firefox or Google Chrome if you have not. :) Comodo Firewall is a good choice and is very good. :)

@Dale

I think he means Defraggler. :)

Hi -

The links from daledoc1 show many good ways to add an Antivirus, which should be used along with Malwarebytes Anti-malware program.

To add a good Antivirus is always important for correct "Layered Protection" and This Topic from Security MVP quietman7, lists several good free and paid Antivirus programs, along with advice on programs that are suitable for use beside your Malwarebytes program.

Always remember that Malwarebytes will be better if the Pro (paid) version is used, and it will compatable with all free or paid Antivirus programs -

Regards -

Avast is not so good - some games and programs not run becouse antivirus block it or its files-elements

Best from free what i tested is Panda Cloud antivirus - small and nice

But if u have MBAM Pro u not need it all :)

Pando Cloud Pro 6 monts 4 free u can get from there (need facebook account)

http://www.facebook.com/cloudantivirus?sk=app_4949752878

Homepage:

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/

My post about Panda there:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=106639

Best from free what i tested is Panda Cloud antivirus - small and nice

But if u have MBAM Pro u not need it all :)

Pando Cloud Pro 6 monts 4 free u can get from there (need facebook account)

Hi, Caxap:

Just to clarify for the OP and other casual readers -- MBAM PRO is not a substitute for an anti-virus. :)

Please refer to this FAQ article:

Does Malwarebytes replace antivirus software?

HTH,

daledoc1

Guest Seagull

For a Free Anti-Virus I personally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

For a Paid Anti-Virus I recommend ESET NOD32.

Both are very light and a do a good job, I also recommend using Malwarebytes PRO along side with what ever Anti-Virus you choose, its well worth the price and it does a very nice job, it makes a great companion to your Anti-Virus as a secondary layer of defense.

As for keeping your computer running fast, your already have CCleaner, just keep it updated and run it once a day to keep all the clutter off also keeping the harddrive defragged. I personally defrag my harddrive about once a week with Defraggler, I also have all unnecessary start up items and services disabled.You can also try running a Disk Check, that might help you out also, I recommend running a Disk Check once a month.

As for the IP changer, if I had a guess it does just that, except its more like spoofing. As for it being able to actually change it I don't know, since your Internet Service Provider is giving you an IP in the first place, so I am not sure what would happen if you would do that, and I wouldn't recommend doing it, unless it uses some kind of proxy then that would make sense. Maybe someone else with a little bit more knowledge could shed some more light on this.

I hope this helps. :)

• Root Admin

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary solution to a fully installed Anti-Virus application and is not an Anti-Virus product.

Please see the following link for an explanation from one of our forum Experts.

Is mbam a complete antivirus solution?

If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know.

Well this seems like a friendly community! You all have be very nice and helpful. So i got my information, but still i'm kinda lost with the IP thing. So i'll try to explain where i need the help. (Sorry if my English is kinda messed up, because it's not my primary language. + i'm so tired) So, i had my new internet for like 3 months. I use Piratebay pretty much, (hope nobody is a police, lol) so i'm kinda afraid to get caught. That's why i'm looking for a IP changer. I have no clue, if i change my IP is my internet going to go nuts? Any expert are willing to help. Thanks!

Hi, Falcao:

Glad you've found the information provided to be helpful. :)

Your English is just fine!

I am just a home user, so I speak only for myself, but I know that it is an official MBAM policy NOT to support, condone or assist users who engage in illegal activity.

The piracy policy can be found >>HERE<<.

As such, I don't think you'll find any MBAM staff or conscientious forum member here who will be eager to assist you any sort of possibly illegal undertaking that you have described.

JMHO,

daledoc1

Guest Seagull

Sorry Falcao, out of good conscientiousness, and out of respect for Malwarebytes Policy and the Malwarebytes community, I'm afraid no one will be able to assist you. daledoc1 is correct, the regular forum members here (including myself) and the Malwarebytes Team, frown upon using such software.

I could understand for using a IP changer to help remain more anonymous online (like a proxy server) to help better your security, but to change your IP for illegal downloading purposes is most frowned upon on just about any Internet Security Support forum.

Well this seems like a friendly community! You all have be very nice and helpful. So i got my information, but still i'm kinda lost with the IP thing. So i'll try to explain where i need the help. (Sorry if my English is kinda messed up, because it's not my primary language. + i'm so tired) So, i had my new internet for like 3 months. I use Piratebay pretty much, (hope nobody is a police, lol) so i'm kinda afraid to get caught. That's why i'm looking for a IP changer. I have no clue, if i change my IP is my internet going to go nuts? Any expert are willing to help. Thanks!

Pirating is illegal and an international crime. If you pirate we won't be willing to help you on any issues. We have a zero tolerance policy on helping people who do illegal activities.

Okay. I understand and respect this site's policy. Hope you guys don't get me banned or something. But again, you guys were so helpful !

As long as you follow the rules and don't promote piracy then there will be no trouble. :)

Oh, almost forgot! (I don't know how can i change my last message, so i'll post a new message) I don't want to install avast toolbar(?), so is it less effective on my browser?

You will be able to edit your posts once you make a total of 50 posts. Some users abused this in the malware removal section so this prevent issues. :) Probably not by much as long as you have the web shield which works with any browser. :)

Hi,

My name is Joe, and I'm an alcoholic a first time poster.

Recently my hard drive failed and so I purchased a new one, recovered my data (for less than $100, thankfully!), and have now recently installed Windows 7.

I sought to look for a good antivirus program. I haven't paid much heed to the world of malware, spyware, viruses etc. because I haven't had any problems in years. My whole life (and by that I mean the last 3 years) I was using AVG, and I recall I disliked certain aspects of it.

Based on a somewhat more than cursory examination of a number of recent discussions, I decided MBAM seemed t to have the most consistent praise.

I then realised I needed an AV program to go along with it.

This is how I stumbled upon this thread.

You guys have been most helpful. Just wanted to create an account to say so.

Thank you!

PS. Daledoc, your doggy avatar is adorable! :D

• 4 weeks later...