Fixing the problems

lilpeanut

Okay, I've started this topic here. I have to say I'm so distraught over this that I don't even know where to start. I've tried to contact the person I bought this system from but to no avail as of yet. I will, however, continue trying to get in contact with them and look into all options available to me.

So what do I do now?

cassiereroni

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back.

First, let's try to get a legitimate copy of Windows installed on your system.

Before anything else, I advise you to back up all of your data which you wish to keep.

Once you have purchased a copy of Windows, see these instructions provided by Microsoft for how to install it on your system: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-Vista

Let me know how things go ;).

Well, I can't afford a new copy of Windows just now. Not after just buying this computer. However, I am willing to install Ubantu instead just so I can get this copy of Windows off my computer until I can get another copy of Windows.

I am copying all my pics, files etc. to discs so that I don't lose them but there's a lot so it will take awhile.

Will installing Ubantu and taking Windows off solve the problem for now?

Will installing Ubantu and taking Windows off solve the problem for now?

It should. You may even find that you like Ubuntu more. Once you obtain and install a new copy of Windows, that should remedy any of the problems that originally brought you here ;).

Make sure you've backed everything up first.

Here are the instructions for Removing Windows using Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToRemoveWindows

Instructions for installung Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/installing.html

Okay, as soon as I'm done with copying/backing up files I'll come back and click thru those links then contact you when I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some problems trying to install Ubantu and after looking it over and asking questions I've found that a couple of programs that I depend on will not work with it.

Sooo, I bought a WinXP Pro SP3 program and am going to install that. Yep, it's a legal program, got the COA and key and all.

But I need to know about any drivers I might need because this disk is a Dell WinXP OS. I asked the guy that I bought it from, on ebay, if it would do a full install on a computer other than Dell and he said it would.

I'm just a bit concerned because on the face of the disk it says "This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.". Since I am going to be changing video cards as well will there be a problem after I install XP with a driver for that and/or anything else?

Will be watching closely for an answer.

cassiereroni

Hope posting a reply twice doesn't cause any problems but I am installing a BFGR62256OC video card which is new to me and I don't have the cd or any drivers for it.

I have looked all over and have found a couple but I'm confused as to which one actually goes with this card. Can you help me out figuring out what driver I should use?

Thanks again and again, I will have my email program open so I'll know when you reply so I can get this done ASAP.

cassiereroni

Firefox

Yes, it is going to be installed on the WinXP SP3. When I format my C: drive and install WinXP will there be a driver already there so I can see the what's happening on my computer or do I have to install it first?

Forgive me but I'm new to doing this so I want to be sure I do it right.

It took me a bit to get a disk formatted and that driver downloaded onto it. That's all I've done so far. What should be the next step?

Thanks for the help,

lilpeanut

When you install XP Fresh it will install a generic video driver and it will display a screen so you can see what you are doing. The colors will not be that great, but that will all get fixed once you install the video driver.

If I were you, I would find out what network card you have too and download the driver as well. As a matter of fact you want to get all drivers for the hardware on your computer. This would be video, network card, sound card, any modems and any other hardware you may have installed on the computer.

The two most important ones is the network card (cause you will need it to get online to download drivers and such) and the video card.

Sorry again. Had to run to the store but I'm back now and not moving from my computer screen cause there is just to much to I need to know before I wipe out this hard drive.

Ok, my network card is a VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter. I need to get a driver for that as well? I think I already have the driver for my Rocketfish Sound card and my printer. I'll be looking for them to be sure while I wait for a reply to this message.

lilpeanut

I'm just a bit concerned because on the face of the disk it says "This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.". Since I am going to be changing video cards as well will there be a problem after I install XP with a driver for that and/or anything else?

Just to clarify, I believe the CD says that because Dell computers often come with a separare CD specifically for drivers... Hope that helps ;).

As for the Ethernet Adapter, it wouldn't hurt to have the driver package on hand just in case you may need it- I think this is the package you should need http://download.cnet...2_4-149765.html

Let us know how things go :).

But I need to know about any drivers I might need because this disk is a Dell WinXP OS. I asked the guy that I bought it from, on ebay, if it would do a full install on a computer other than Dell and he said it would.

You can't do that legally and there can be logistical problems as the installation will read the vendor string from the BIOS.

A Dell OEM OS installation disk can ONLY be installed on a Dell computer.

OMG. You mean I *can't* install this copy of windows on my computer??? I was told that if you're building your own computer then you could use it.

I can't keep losing money like this. :(

Won't do anything until I hear more.

*discouraged and crying my eyes out*

lilpeanut

Ok, as much as I can't afford to buy *another* program I need someone to check this offer out to make sure it's what I need to take care of my problems.

It's on ebay, the sellers name is zazahubs61 and the url after I'm logged into ebay and I'm looking at it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-XP-Professional-SP3-Full-with-COA-/260987843611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item3cc416741b&vxp=mtr

Please, someone, let me know asap. I really want to get this bad copy of windows off my computer!

lilpeanut

You can't do that legally and there can be logistical problems as the installation will read the vendor string from the BIOS.

A Dell OEM OS installation disk can ONLY be installed on a Dell computer.

That is correct. You will not be able to activate the product and will exerpience shutdowns every two hours and certian features of Windows will not function after the 30 day activation period. I have exeperience in this and I have used the Dell discs on Dell PC's and non Dell PC's. The non Dell pc's have all sorts of issues with installing this.

Okay, well, what about this other Windows XP disk on ebay with the users nick and the url listed above? Is that the right one that I need??

lilpeanut

Please, someone. Please let me know if this other WindowsXP disc is one that I can use to install the full OS, legally and completely. It's found on ebay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/260987843611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and if you can't get there by using that url then the sellers nick is zazahubs61

If it is an acceptable version then I'd like to order it now so I can get it as soon as possible and get this mess behind me.

Thanks for all the help ya'll,

lilpeanut

Okay. Well, don't know if I'm breaking any rules by asking this but...

Is there anything there that you can find that will work and is $50.00 or less? I have $100.00 to my name so I really can't afford to spend even that much but I have to do something.

Thanks for the help.

lilpeanut

can you get your money back from the guy who sold you the dell XP disk ?

david is right about the lack of details ... picture wise and elsewise .

i would be very cautious about buying a "discounted" version of XP .

for example , the $38.00 seller you mentioned shows no feedback ... and he has been on ebay for about 6 months ?

sometimes when trying to save a dollar it winds up costing three dollars in the long run .

a little google searching shows that there are many ways that you can get ripped off along these lines .

try "pirated XP versions" .

some of the disks are/were the real deal by microsoft but were part of a "special deal" with a company or "evaluation releases" ...

these disks might be/are now (for whatever reasons) "blacklisted" .

however ...

you could ask the guy for the last few digits of the COA/activation code , if it is legit he should have no problems with supplying the information .

you can then check the microsoft database for authenticity and make sure the disk is not like the one you bought (ie : for dell comps) . ;)

some information is available here : http://www.techsuppo...ted-249619.html

(skip over the couple of twit responses)

If I were to check the last few digits on a disk and found it to be legit, would a "for refurbished PCs" version be an acceptable version?

yep ... and another type is such as this : http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116986

but ... you have to buy another computer type piece along with it .

i believe i have bought a couple of case fans in order to meet the requirements . i do recall buying a cd/dvd drive .

as an OEM version , it cannot be transferred to another comp once it is installed (say the comp dies and you build a brand new machine from the ground up) .

hmmm ... it is getting harder to find a "no questions" copy of XP .

this one says "dell" on it but the seller assures that it will install on any machine :

http://trinitysoftwa...=N09-00984-dell

/me raises the skeptical eyebrow

the same for this one as well :

http://www.tek-micro...ition-OEM-.html

maybe someone here that is more familiar with dell goings-on can answer this : didn't dell sell xp home-build/built oem software (much like newegg) ?

this might be their old stock that they dumped .