Feds: Megaupload user data could be gone Thursday

DarkSnakeKobra

Federal prosecutors say data from users of Megaupload could be deleted as soon as Thursday.

U.S. prosecutors blocked access to Megaupload and charged seven men, saying the site facilitated millions of illegal downloads of movies, music and other content.

The company says its millions of users stored their own data, including family photos and personal documents. They haven't been able to see their data since the government raids earlier this month, but there has been hope would be able to get it back.

Read the full article at http://www.msnbc.msn...ience-security/

One good reason to avoid backing up your personal data to the cloud. Personally, I'm having second thoughts on this as you can't fully trust the cloud. ;)

I still feel sorry for MegaUpload... We're going to see websites like that disappear soon... And then what's next? Pastebin?

Same here. They had their chance to be a good site with millions of users, but they took a wrong turn and payed the price. I wouldn't be surprised for sites like dropbox, rapidshare,mediafire etc. Very likely a DMCA issue for pastebin.

I'm currently moving everything off the cloud as it all could just vanish one day.

I'm currently moving everything off the cloud as it all could just vanish one day.

Good idea. The Internet isn't safe anymore. Not that it ever really was, but at least you didn't used to have to worry about all of your data suddenly vanishing due to some legal battle...

Good idea. The Internet isn't safe anymore. Not that it ever really was, but at least you didn't used to have to worry about all of your data suddenly vanishing due to some legal battle...

Me and a friend got talking about this and some of the cons. For example I have an old website on forumotion that had all sorts of issues and some people lost content as the people who hold their data decided to do an upgrade without alerting forumotion which caused a lot of problems with their services for about 1-2 weeks. Exactly. It's much better to purchase some external hard drives to store your data on as you won't have all the risks that come with a provider.