What do all you geeks collect?

nosirrah

Its always interesting to see what strange and interesting thing people collect whether it be for fun or a financial endeavor.

I started collecting metallic elemental samples last year from here and here more or less to scratch my science geek itch. I like to challenge people to identify tin, tungsten, tantalum and titanium (always sitting on my desk) and without fail people get tin right and titanium wrong (they seem to always guess that tungsten is titanium).

So what strange and geeky stuff do you collect?

I collect Transformers :D. Right now I'm collecting the Beast Wars figures, as Beast Wars was/is my favorite Transformers series. I also have a ton of Hasbro/Takara's Classics and Generations figures, as they are basically modernized recreations of classic G1 (Generation 1) characters. I also have a few G1 figures, ones that I wanted as a child but never got back when they were initially released.

It's an expensive hobby, but one that will pay off in the end when I use my army of tiny plastic and diecast minions to take over the world, muahahahahahah :P!

I used to collect AA batteries. If I found a toy with a different brand of AA batteries in it, I would take them out and put them with the rest of the collection and replace them with Duracell AA batteries. At one point I think I had 40 different brands in the collection. I lost interest after that.

Hi

I 'collect' passport stamps. So far in my collection is:

UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Malta,Germany, Greece, Turkey, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Niger, Senegal, Gambia, Djibouti, Madagascar, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Turkmenistan, Maldives, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, China, Japan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Russia, Uzbekistan, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Canada, Mauritius.

(As a UK citizen I had to ask for the EU stamps at emigration)

Any more holiday ideas?

Would like to try to get in to US again but last time I tried I only got as far as passport control and was sent home after an official took one look at my passport and gave me a 'through interview'!

I collect Malware. :P Use to collect trading cards(Yugioh), but decided to move on as I was running out of room and wanted more time for other things. :P

Edit: I do like collecting Linux discs. But I ran out of shelf space and cases so I had to throw most away. :P

NOTE: MALWARE COLLECTING IS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND THE RISKS AND NOW HOW TO HANDLE THEM PROPERLY.

I collect all kinds of things....

I have a collection of GI Joe figures, my most prized possession is Tripwire as he is hard to find and not many were made. Also because I used to do what he does.....

Another thing I collect is Star Wars toys and memorabilia, for the original movies when they first came out.

I also collect baseball caps, any style, logo, so long as I don't have it already, I have over 500 in my collection.

Another large collection is handkerchiefs/bandanna's, but I suppose they are mainly bandanna's, sorry no used ones....

I also have some very old computer parts...

Man I am going to need a warehouse to start storing all this crap... I mean collection...

I haven't in a long while, but,

I collected rocks, coins.

I also am a major pack rat (trying to break myself of that habit as is hubby LOL) so I have SO much stuff... I can't bear to get rid of some of it because it has sentimental value.

I also have a small collection of cute wind-up toys (inchworm, snail, and something else I think).

Many things collected over years

I have a collection of Gas Station trucks, the Gulf trucks are the keepers and the 1st NJ-PBA truck=$$

Next is custom made knives and Martial art weapons (went to shows for this stuff) the under the table auto knives(switchblade) went for $2K beautiful work.

Like FF had ton of old computer parts but alas I got rid of everthing except still in the orig package, a stick of memory from 1998 for the retail price of $149.00 on sale $129.00 yikes :P

Complete 3.0 software/manuals for a 286 IBM in orig.case. Glad things are easier to-day ;)

Small collection of stingy-brim Ferdora/Porkpie hats

Save the best for last, I have a Baseball stats, w/storys pamphlet from 1912.

@sho-dan

Wow! Guess that was pretty big at the time though ;) My first drive is 128MB, came with my Word/Excel textbooks for my class... it only actually holds 106 MB though. I still have it :)

My Memorex is the only write-protected drive I have, that holds 489MB although it says 512 on the drive. I think I got it on sale for $30 but it was normally $50. Or maybe I bought it for $50 on sale, can't quite remember...

I enjoy collecting operating systems, currently collecting a bunch of the boxed Windows and MS-DOS systems, and have most of them (and some of them are still shrink wrapped, which I find pretty cool). I also enjoy collecting old technology, hardware, and games in general (I suppose I could scrounge up a picture if I find the time).

I suppose this marks my first post on this forum. Glad to be here, everyone!