Fluctuating free disc space in C:\ drive

ohembee

Hi,

Newbie forum user here. I'm noting huge fluctuations, up and down, of approx a few hundred MB per day in free disc space (in C:\ drive) in my laptop. I have already completed the following:

1. Full virus scan on Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security - no threats
  2. Malware Free scan - no malware detected
  3. Disc cleanup
  4. Deleted old system restore points (except for most recent copy)

What other possible reasons could explain such fluctuations?

I am using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Thanks!

Lets assume a 325GB hard disk that fluctuates 325MB.  That's .325GB/325GB or .1%.  That's an insignificant amount and this is a 64bit OS which means that it uses larger chunks to operate. 

Lincoln Navigators sized chunks instead of Mini Cooper sized chunks.

30GB for a "C:" drive is a concern.  A few questions...

*  What is the OS on this platform in question ?

*  What is the total size of the hard disk that was "partitioned" ?

*  What is the Make and Model of the platform in question ?

30GB for a "C:" drive is a concern.  A few questions...

*  What is the OS on this platform in question ?

*  What is the total size of the hard disk that was "partitioned" ?

*  What is the Make and Model of the platform in question ?

Total size of the hard disk is 500 GB (C and D drives).

As for the other questions...would this screenshot help answer them?

2cxw5c1.jpg

OK,  500GB with less than 10% used as Drive "C:" on a Win7/64 OS but an undefined make and model computer.

Setting up 30GB out of 500GB (less than 10%) is a mistake.  With NTFS partitioning a drive isn't really needed.

It is on Drive "C:" that the OS, applications and user profiles reside and they "grow" as a function of time and it is conceivable that you will need 40~45GB down the road.

• Root Admin

I've built more than one system where I've been sorry that I only used 128GB   -  I made it work for a long time but between work and Microsoft updating every month along with Adobe and others that drive space gets used up pretty quickly.  If you install games that too sucks up large amounts of space now days as all the new games are 3GB or more.  Have seem some now at over 10GB

OK,  500GB with less than 10% used as Drive "C:" on a Win7/64 OS but an undefined make and model computer.

Setting up 30GB out of 500GB (less than 10%) is a mistake.  With NTFS partitioning a drive isn't really needed.

It is on Drive "C:" that the OS, applications and user profiles reside and they "grow" as a function of time and it is conceivable that you will need 40~45GB down the road.

I've built more than one system where I've been sorry that I only used 128GB   -  I made it work for a long time but between work and Microsoft updating every month along with Adobe and others that drive space gets used up pretty quickly.  If you install games that too sucks up large amounts of space now days as all the new games are 3GB or more.  Have seem some now at over 10GB

So is there anyway to work around this? The lack of disc space is affecting the ability of my laptop to create system restore points/backups...

• Root Admin

You can use a partitioning tool and have increase the size of the C: volume.  

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=4693

Not listed but some of the latest tools (also perhaps not free) can actually move the data to C: during the resize.  Pretty slick now days to what was almost impossible years ago.