Conflict with NIS

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of the above quotes refers to objects entering memory (being executed), at least not that I can see, and we've tested all of Kaspersky's products as well as all of Symantec's (Norton) products and verified this to be true.

For example, if you take any file which would be detected by both products and try to download it, the antivirus is going to block it before it runs. If you open a folder containing a file which both products would detect, the antivirus again will detect it before it tries to run. If another process on the computer accesses the file, again, the antivirus would detect it. So in any scenario where a file which is a threat, the AV is going to see it first and if the AV sees it as a threat and removes it, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's protection will not be triggered. I have to date seen no reports ever of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's protection module detecting a threat at the same time as a user's antivirus.

exile, does that behavior have anything to do with Malwarebytes Free not detecting the eicar.com test file on my computer? I have seen that NIS will detect eicar.com (1) when I download it as eicar.com, (2) when I rename it back to eicar.com from something else, (3) if I double-click (execute?) it, or (4) when I do a Full System Scan.

For some reason--I don't know why--NIS doesn't detect it when I run a simple Quick Scan.

That said, the odd thing is, Malwarebytes never seems to detect eicar.com. So...I guess I'm just curious why that is. Thank you, and thank you for your free product. I, too, hope NIS's "issue" is resolved soon...I like Malwarebytes!

exile, does that behavior have anything to do with Malwarebytes Free not detecting the eicar.com test file on my computer? I have seen that NIS will detect eicar.com (1) when I download it as eicar.com, (2) when I rename it back to eicar.com from something else, (3) if I double-click (execute?) it, or (4) when I do a Full System Scan.

For some reason--I don't know why--NIS doesn't detect it when I run a simple Quick Scan.

That said, the odd thing is, Malwarebytes never seems to detect eicar.com. So...I guess I'm just curious why that is. Thank you, and thank you for your free product. I, too, hope NIS's "issue" is resolved soon...I like Malwarebytes!

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect EICAR because EICAR is a file used for testing antivirus software, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an antivirus, it is an anti-malware solution designed to work in tandem with your antivirus to catch the threats your antivirus might miss, including the latest 0-day malware infections. Additional info on that may be found here.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave Tony Weiss a follow up question if Norton 360 Premiere 2013 would be included someday, I did not see anything for that product specifically.

Looks like from the announcement it might be dicey for my product right now.

This might be something, though I'm not sure. From the above link provided by AdvancedSetup:
Update 20.4 patch request - N360s or N360p
If N360P refers to Norton 360 Premiere, then the patch should be available for that version.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect EICAR because EICAR is a file used for testing antivirus software, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an antivirus, it is an anti-malware solution designed to work in tandem with your antivirus to catch the threats your antivirus might miss, including the latest 0-day malware infections. Additional info on that may be found here.

exile360, thank you for explaining; I completely overlooked the fact it is an anti-malware product. Thanks!

Here is a note from Tony Weiss on a bug in the update to NIS 2013.

To sum up, if you've already received the 20.4 update via LiveUpdate, you'll only see the incompatibility message if you manually run the Get Support tool.

If you installed the full version of 20.4 (by sending me a Private Message and receiving the download link), you won't see the incompatibility message under any conditions.

Sort of a half fix but it's better then it was.

Jim :unsure:

If you updated and then have to run the Get Support function which runs the Auto Fix scan it will bring up the warning and you can choose Skip and continue. The support function is not used very often. The real fix is to uninstall the current version and install the new 20.4 version but that is a PIA and really not worth the effort. Maybe they will fix this little quirk in the next update in a few Months but I don't really know.

Jim

I'm sure it's due to the various install and update methods that are available with their products.  At least it seems though that they should have a fix available if required by the customer.

Thanks again

To be fair to Symantec: The automatic Live Update function has now completely removed the MBAM incompatibility notice. It is not necessary to perform a clean reinstall of NIS. Symantec is listening to their users!

WOW dreams really do come true...  I woke up this morning and happened to read your post John and checked my Norton 360 premiere and found that the version was changed.

Thennnnnnn..... I clicked on Support > Get Support and I didn't even see a peep of a blip noise or anything about any conflict with MBAM.  I could not even be more happy.  Due to the big stink that everyone raised Symantec listened (for once...lol) and fixed the problem.

Thank you so very much to all of the staff at Malwarebytes, exile360, Advanced Setup and all the others.  Thank you for everything.  It is more than appreciated than you know. BigGrin_zps46b93ca0.gif

Sincerely,

-fryer

To be fair to Symantec: The automatic Live Update function has now completely removed the MBAM incompatibility notice. It is not necessary to perform a clean reinstall of NIS. Symantec is listening to their users!

Did you run  Get Support  - Auto Fix? This was showing a warning after the new update but it may have been resolved in an additional update..

Jim

Did you run  Get Support  - Auto Fix? This was showing a warning after the new update but it may have been resolved in an additional update..

Jim

Yup!  No more of this   attention_zps2df4eb69.gif

this... smileycpupunchout_zps67a01720.gif     bangpc_zps4594e541.gif

this... fencing_zps08ca9ed3.gif   

this... yield_zpsbe166b6e.gif

or even this... croc_zps4ee73392.gif

Yup... just woke up to Norton 360 Premiere Ed. already updated (because I left the cpu on last night...whoops.) to 20.4.0.40 and clicked on Support > Get Support and did not hear a peep out of Norton for any flags.  Everything is back to normal. BigGrin_zps46b93ca0.gif

Now we can spend our time doing other important things...

Like this... buzzdatower_zps343c7b45.gif

or even this... plane_zps76f5b561.gif

Seeeee... with sufficient thrust... pigs DO fly.  LOL

flying-pig-rocket-to-the-moon-or-bust_zp

-fryer

Jim

Yes, I can run the Autofix with without the incompatibility warning. Please read my post at the NIS forum: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Warning-NIS-20-3-0-36-NOT-compatible-with-Malwarebytes/m-p/977293#M240444Subsequent posters have confirmed that the Control Data update is important.

I would like to recall the post #41 from exile360 (http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125342&page=3#entry675568). Even MBAM Pro might be running simultaneously with a real time anti-virus system. I am not capable of being the judge, but the postulate is very interesting. We – the users – want to be protected as far it is possible.

Yes, I can run the Autofix with without the incompatibility warning. Please read my post at the NIS forum: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Warning-NIS-20-3-0-36-NOT-compatible-with-Malwarebytes/m-p/977293#M240444Subsequent posters have confirmed that the Control Data update is important.

I would like to recall the post #41 from exile360 (http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125342&page=3#entry675568). Even MBAM Pro might be running simultaneously with a real time anti-virus system. I am not capable of being the judge, but the postulate is very interesting. We – the users – want to be protected as far it is possible.

Yes, indeed. We still stand by our claims that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro's realtime protection can and should be run alongside a fully active antivirus. When we find incompatibilities, we replicate them and we fix them, including reaching out to the antivirus vendors themselves if necessary. So far our track record has been very good, particularly in our most recent releases of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware where we've taken further measures to ensure that our protection does not conflict with other products and this work will continue each time we find any room for improvement.

• 3 months later...

New here, just read the thread.    Thanks exile360 for the detailed info about AV / MBAM co-existence.

I'm running Windows 7 Home 64-bit and MBAM Pro with Norton 360 Ver 20.4.0.40  on my Desktop and Laptop PC's.

I had seen a few instances of the "Autofix" dialog box referenced in the thread where Norton's dialog box displayed "MBAM Conflict" but since Symantec included the patch in an update I haven't seen a repeat of the Autofix dialog box issue.

I've been running Norton since December '12 and MBAM Pro simultaneously with no observed conflicts.  I run daily overnight unattended scans with both tools which is probably a little overkill scanning but since my PC's are idle overnight I figure it can't hurt to use the scanning options at that time.

I'm a member over at the Norton forum which is, imo a friendly and very informative community but they are adamant about not running MBAM Pro with an AV due to possible conflict issues.

Their main point about it is that they are maintain that by running 2 simultaneous real-time scanners, the potential for an intrusion increases due to the 2 scanner tools conflicting to take ownership of an incoming threat that both tools have detected at the same time.

I don't mention at their forum that I'm running my PC's with both scanners in real-time mode to avoid redundant posts about the subject.

I guess I prefer having a 2nd scanner tool that's  running simultaneously with my AV to catch malware-specific threats.

Since I've been running both in this mode, I've seen several MBAM notifications in the Tray whereas Norton hadn't indicated the detection of the same item.

I know that some notifications may be false-positive alerts but that doesn't distract me and I'd rather have a little too much protection vs not running a 2nd protection tool alongside my AV.

The explanations here in the thread have been beneficial reading :).

Imo, the best approach is to also maintain a complete HDD backup scheme, cloning or imaging to insure a fast recovery in the event of an intrusion that gets past both scanner tools and gets complicated to clean the infection from the everyday HDD on one's PC.

Before running MBAM and switching to Norton last year, I've used my spare cloned HDD to recover from a couple of infections.  In that way, I didn't spend time cleaning or safe-mode scanning, etc, to fix my original HDD. 

I just plugged in my spare cloned HDD and was running in a few minutes.  I clone every 4 weeks, along with running an overnight specific-item backup tool in order to maintain a spare HDD for such events.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

I don't see that the user said they had error 3048 and the page linked from Norton is basically just another method of installing updates that the the product should install on its own if it's working correctly but if not then the download might fix that.

As for running the Norton Power Eraser as they suggest I would recommend being VERY careful about running that tool as it has a lot of false positives.