Using McAfee & Malwarebytes Concurently

I'm using McAfee Security Center V. 11.0, which incorporates the following:

McAfee Virus Scan V. 15.0

McAfee Personal Firewall V. 12.0

McAfee Site Advisor V. 3.3

McAfee Anti-Spam V. 12.0

Upon reformatting my computer, which runs WIN XP Pro, and IE 8.0, McAfee had me remove my previous free version of Malwarebytes, (which I loved), stating that it was incompatible with the above new versions of their McAfee Security Center V. 11.0.

What does Malwarebytes' advisors have to say about this. Can keeping the latest Malwarebytes program from starting with Windows XP Pro alleviate any McAfee conflicts I might have?

Appreciating any insight you can offer, I am,

Sincerely yours,

Lida :unsure:

Hello and :welcome:

First let me start by saying I am not on the Malwarebytes staff. I however do run Malwarebytes and McAfee together on my computers. Granted, I am using a Corp. Edition of McAfee. There are other folks around her that also use both products. You will however have to enter exceptions in both McAfee and Malwarebytes so that both programs can co-exist on the same computer. Below you will find the instructions for the exceptions for McAfee Total Protection 2011. Those exceptions and instructions should be similar in your version of McAfee.

McAfee Total Protection 2011

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011 on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  2. Click on Firewall located under Features.
  3. Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  4. Click the Add button and then click browser.
  5. Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
    Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Thank you, Firefox...as long as you're sure these exceptions will not screw up my current version of McAfee, (McAfee Security Center V. 11.0). I'll give it a try after downloading and installing the latest version of Malwarebytes. I'm presuming these "exclusion" steps are to be performed AFTER the install of Malwarebytes. Correct me if I'm wrong in any way... :unsure:

Atb,

Lida

=================================================================================================

You're misunderstanding my statements, Firefox. My past 2-3 posts are referring to the duplicate posts I made here, and I was referring to the fact that there is no "edit" option on this board within the posting windows to "edit" or "remove" POSTS, after they are posted, not the Malwarebytes program which, I'm presuming, can be easily removed via Add/Remove programs, kapish? :o

Lida

• Root Admin

Hi Lida,

In general one should not need to even uninstall the program however if you need to then removing from the Add/Remove will simply remove the main program files but will leave behind many registry changes as well as some files and folders on the system. Using mbam-clean.exe will remove all files, folders, and registry entries (except for those from another user profile).

For those that are having issues that are not quickly fixed then often using mbam-clean.exe will often correct it and/or give the user the opportunity to fully reset their file and folder exclusions for their Anti-Virus which can often otherwise conflict with the program.

"throkr

Posted Today, 06:40 AM

Lidarose, on 19 September 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

I'm presuming these "exclusion" steps are to be performed AFTER the install of Malwarebytes. Correct me if I'm wrong in any way...

Hi Lidarose,

That's correct; anyway, it would be difficult to do BEFORE as MBAM's folders are not there yet ..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duh... :rolleyes: Should have known that, Throkr, lol!

Thanks to all for your input. I really like Malwarebytes, have found it great at removing spyware and trojans, i.e., much more effective than McAfee's A-V program, and would hate not to be able to continue using it, just because McAfee says it's "incompatible".

:D ,

Lida

P.S. - After I reformatted my computer, and after re-installing the McAfee program, I reinstalled the Malwarebytes program...

Then, after experiencing some problems with the McAfee program, their tech person uninstalled it and re-installed it again, and in the process was told to remove the Malwarebytes program.

(1). Should I use Mbam-clean.exe to remove whatever remmnants are left of the Malwarebytes program McAfee removed before re-installing THEIR program, and before I reinstall Malwarebytes? I'm not sure HOW they removed it during their install, or what may be left of Malwarebytes on my computer's hard drive currently?

(2). Is there any way to tell if any remmnants are still there, and if I indeed NEED to use mbam-clean.exe to remove them???

Curiously,

Lida :unsure:

After I reformatted my computer, and after re-installing the McAfee program, I reinstalled the Malwarebytes program...

Then, after experiencing some problems with the McAfee program, their tech person uninstalled it and re-installed it again, and in the process was told to remove the Malwarebytes program.

(1). Should I use Mbam-clean.exe to remove whatever remmnants are left of the Malwarebytes program McAfee removed before re-installing THEIR program, and before I reinstall Malwarebytes? I'm not sure HOW they removed it during their install, or what may be left of Malwarebytes on my computer's hard drive currently?

(2). Is there any way to tell if any remmnants are still there, and if I indeed NEED to use mbam-clean.exe to remove them???

Curiously,

:unsure:

Lida

There is no way to tell what the tech person did or uninstalled, or what their installed may have done. There are ways to see if there are any left-overs like searching for the folders. You could also search the registry, but if you do not know what you are doing you can damage your computer.

It would not hurt your computer any to run the mbam-clean tool. If the tool has nothing to do, it simply will exit.