Disgusted by Download sites for Malwarebytes

FranM

MajorGeeks is better but not lily white.

Yeah -- 'cause we're GREEN silly! :)

Couple of points to make. 1) We don't run pop ups or under. Never have never will. We have some of the mouse over stuff from vibrant but not on MBAM's page. 2) We Got TIGER BLOOD! 3)We have a rather twisted sense of pride at MG about listening and responding to users likes and dislikes... We take each comment very seriously. I think the head duck here will back me up on that. There are limitations as to what we can and can not do and we know you cant please everyone- but that doesn't mean what makes sense to Tim or I when we initially set things up makes sense to everyone.

Also, art is not exactly our strong suit. Pretty sure y'all figured that out already.

Just so happens these comments are timely as we are doing a bit of a refresh in the background and would LOVE some direct feedback from the user perspective. So if you like, please drop me a note to either here or jim @ majorgeeks with some pros and cons I would really dig it. Who knows if it is really good advise I'll send you a pizza or something for your troubles (Wait! Thats non Lilly white bribery tactics. Dammmit)

Now drop and give me 10100!

Thanks!

Jim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah -- 'cause we're GREEN silly! :)

Couple of points to make. 1) We don't run pop ups or under. Never have never will. We have some of the mouse over stuff from vibrant but not on MBAM's page. 2) We Got TIGER BLOOD! 3)We have a rather twisted sense of pride at MG about listening and responding to users likes and dislikes... We take each comment very seriously. I think the head duck here will back me up on that. There are limitations as to what we can and can not do and we know you cant please everyone- but that doesn't mean what makes sense to Tim or I when we initially set things up makes sense to everyone.

Also, art is not exactly our strong suit. Pretty sure y'all figured that out already.

Just so happens these comments are timely as we are doing a bit of a refresh in the background and would LOVE some direct feedback from the user perspective. So if you like, please drop me a note to either here or jim @ majorgeeks with some pros and cons I would really dig it. Who knows if it is really good advise I'll send you a pizza or something for your troubles (Wait! Thats non Lilly white bribery tactics. Dammmit)

Now drop and give me 10100!

Thanks!

Jim

Your site has a couple problems. Personally I think yours is the worst compared to all the others with the download links and such. 2. The back color is rather a poor choice. It's rather hard on the eyes. 3. You still have IOBIT listed. They are thieves and shouldn't be listed.

Quote = Buttons

You still have IOBIT listed. They are thieves and shouldn't be listed.

I do not think this has been to the courts {Ron or Marcin can fill this in} (even though we know it was true) -

They are still a legal company and are able to advertise in the open areas of most retailers -

Smoking "Generally" kills you eventually,( I'm not dead yet) , but you can still buy cigs openly - Same with alcohol -

Your site has a couple problems. Personally I think yours is the worst compared to all the others with the download links and such. 2. The back color is rather a poor choice. It's rather hard on the eyes.

Yeah -- Some people totally dig it other hate it. I suppose many things are like that. When we initially picked that color it was mainly as a rebellion against the norm. We've been tweaking around the color spectrum to come up with a little more contrast yet still remain "Majorgeeks" one example is at the MajorGeeks youtube channel which uses a more tan less green. Right direction?

post-72197-0-20871700-1299710432.jpg

>> Now drop and give me 10100! -<< Spoken like a real Major :) -

Always fire your shots at the mid section - Easier to hit -

LOL -- was out at a Vegas gun range a month or so back and shot a fully auto Tommy gun. (I recommend it) Nothin' but head shots. When folks saw the target I told them I was trying to represent NY. ;)

But really this is a great time to get some input from folks. We are just now finishing up the new backend and are starting on the css. We don't want to deviate too far from what we do, but when you look at something as long as I have, sometimes you can get blind to the obvious. So please feel free to drop me a mail if you have an opinion -- good or bad.

LOL -- was out at a Vegas gun range a month or so back and shot a fully auto Tommy gun. (I recommend it) Nothin' but head shots. When folks saw the target I told them I was trying to represent NY. ;)

But really this is a great time to get some input from folks. We are just now finishing up the new backend and are starting on the css. We don't want to deviate too far from what we do, but when you look at something as long as I have, sometimes you can get blind to the obvious. So please feel free to drop me a mail if you have an opinion -- good or bad.

Thanks for responding! Your capital just shot right up for me. Personally i like your site's look and colors but then i am also a very old firearms enthusiast, ex guide outfitter and ex military. pssssst i prefer the mini gun B)

• Root Admin

I would say that the MajorGeek sites is much easier to navigate and easily tell what are Ads than many other sites. Some sites it is very difficult to tell the real link you're supposed to click on. With the advent of better popup blockers some sites have reduced the popup message but one that I despise when using IE is the floating ad that popups on hot links and mouse overs, that alone is enough reason to seek out software to combat it.

Didn't get the chance to fire a mini-gun in the service but sure did the M2 Machine Gun, Browning .50 Caliber

Awesome weapon, The M2 has a maximum range of 7.4 kilometers (4.55 miles), with a maximum effective range of 1.8 kilometers (1.2 miles)

800px-M2_-_24th_MEU.jpg

Hmmm. I'd like to offer to become a mirror but I'm not a corporation, but I do have some webspace available as well as a few gig of bandwidth I could make available.

If this kind of alternative were needed... I'd be prepared to step forward?

As much as the offer is appreciated, a few gigs is literally a drop in the bucket for us. At our daily peak we push out between three and four gigs a second on top of what is pushed from the existing mirrors. Even outside of the pure bandwidth requirements we have a high standard for mirrors- they need to be very stable and typically have multiple servers setup for resiliency.

I'd love to help too, but I only have a small home server with 60 KB/s upload, which is nowhere near enough. If I ever get a faster connection here and another server, I'll let you know.

• 3 months later...

To Malwarebytes Staff:

I've just taken an undesireable amount of time to register just to weigh in on this "Discusted" re: blatantly and infuriating deceptive download page, whether your own or via cnet. I had to recently do some recovery activity and somehow lost both Malwarebytes and Ad Aware.

TO MAKE A LONG, FRUSTRATING BECOME AGGRIVATING STORY SHORTER: THE DISHONEST, INTENTIONALLY DECEPTIVE DOWNLOAD PAGE, PARTICULARLY WHEN ROUTED THROUGH CNET HAS CAUSE ME TO PERMANTENTLY SWARE OFF BOTH CNET AND MALWARBYTES. I WILL NEVER AGAIN APPROACH EITHER SITE; AND, IF I KNEW HOW I WOULD PERMANENTLY BLOCK ANY LINK, ACCESS, AND OR ACTIVITY FROM EITHER ONE CONNECTING TO MY COMPUTER. I'M NOT PARTICULARLY SKILLED WITH COMPUTER TECH, BUT I HAVE A VISCERAL REACTION TO BLATANT INTENTIONAL DECEPTION. TOO BAD, TOO, CAUSE I USED TO TRULY VALUE MB AND CNET. NO MORE.

• 11 months later...

I do admit that. But it's not our fault when a user clicks on the ad accidentally. You have to pay attention to the content and not get carried away. We have no control over them and that's how some keep their site running.

Ok, so first of all it IS malwarebytes' fault because they decided to not invest in there own website that wouldn't have links to infected programs. There a company that tries to stop these kinds of things so why send you to a web page that is loaded with them, and makes it so most people will click these links. I was going to download the free version of malwarebytes but it led me to a website that looks as though it had many infected links. So i made an account here so i can agree with the original topic. MagorGeeks doesn't even have an identifiable link to the actual program im looking for. the closest thing looks like the "Official mirror" link, like what the censored!? And every other link is some stupid ad. How hard is it to make a button that says "Download", or something along those lines. Not hard at all, and it takes 2 seconds. I will still download the program once somebody tells me what the real link is, but that doesn't change the fact that im truly horrified that a name brand would go to such lows just to get out of paying a such measly amount of profit for a website that everybody can use and that wont ruin your computer when you try to get a program that is supposed to fix it. This by the way has made sure that i will never pay for malwarebytes pro, which i certainly was thinking about doing.

Hi meekrab124,

From Major Geeks, you may download Malwarebytes directly from here

The link was found here (first one that says Download @ Major Geeks):

Thank you for using Malwarebytes :)

P.S. I'm not am employee, just a satisfied Malwarebytes user and volunteer on the forums here.

Ok, so first of all it IS malwarebytes' fault because they decided to not invest in there own website that wouldn't have links to infected programs. There a company that tries to stop these kinds of things so why send you to a web page that is loaded with them, and makes it so most people will click these links. I was going to download the free version of malwarebytes but it led me to a website that looks as though it had many infected links. So i made an account here so i can agree with the original topic. MagorGeeks doesn't even have an identifiable link to the actual program im looking for. the closest thing looks like the "Official mirror" link, like what the censored!? And every other link is some stupid ad. How hard is it to make a button that says "Download", or something along those lines. Not hard at all, and it takes 2 seconds. I will still download the program once somebody tells me what the real link is, but that doesn't change the fact that im truly horrified that a name brand would go to such lows just to get out of paying a such measly amount of profit for a website that everybody can use and that wont ruin your computer when you try to get a program that is supposed to fix it. This by the way has made sure that i will never pay for malwarebytes pro, which i certainly was thinking about doing.

I agree that a lot of these download sites go a bit far in flashy ad's and difficult for some people, but there are several reasons to why they use different download sites.

1. It reduces resources on their server.

2. It provides more areas in case malware is blocking the download.

3. There are a lack of these types of download sites that are reputable.

4. It takes a lot to run these sites and many companies don't have the time, money nor resources to do this.

I recommend download something like HostsMan to install a host file that clears all this up. :)

http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

The downloads are usually quite simple if one looks at what you click on -

To download from FileHippo.com, click on the following link: www.filehippo.com

Or to download from Bleeping Computer, click on the following link: www.bleepingcomputer.com

Or to download from FileForum/Betanews, click on the following link: www.fileforum.betanews.com

If you receive a prompt asking you to "Run" or "Save" the file, click Save and save this file to your desktop.

As a Fan of MBAM i can Provide a Host for the Downloads - It has unlimited Bandwith and Storage is OK! - Ill try to support MBAM as good as i can.

The drawback is that - I cant be a Huge Filehoster since those need dedicated lines and so on.... cost allot!

But as a mirror for the Free Version of MBAM - allways at your service!

Best regards

Val. <- Huge Fan of MBAM <- Made my ITS life allot easyer ^^