Cannot Run Malwarebytes, SAS, HijackThis, Ad-Aware, McAfee, or Defender

Maelski

• Staff

Great news!

I highly recommend the PRO version of MBAM; with it, it's likely that this issue would have been prevented in the first place.

Now that your computer seems to be in proper working order, please take the following steps to help prevent reinfection:

1) Download and install Javacool's SpywareBlaster, which will prevent malware from being installed on your computer. A tutorial on it can be found here.

2) Go to Windows Update frequently to get all of the latest updates (security or otherwise) for Windows.

3) Make sure your programs are up to date! Older versions may contain security risks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run Secunia's Software Inspector.

4) WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

• Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop

WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

5) Be sure to update your Antivirus and Antispyware programs often!

Finally, please also take the time to read Tony Klein's excellent article on: So How Did I Get Infected in the First Place?

Safe surfing,

-screen317

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i'm basically having the same problem. a redirecting virus that seems to be blocking me from using malwarebytes. Also the affected laptop cannot connect to the internet. sometimes the troubleshoot says it can't detect a problem when i am connected but with no internet access and sometimes says it cannot automatically detect the proxy. please tell me what diagnostics to post and which programs to use as i am inexperienced with these kinds of issues. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

• Staff

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!