Which AV and/or IS do you use beside MBAM pro?

I've tried several and I'm still not 100% satisfied

MBAM pro has been installed already

- NIS 2013 - after installing it, the Computer (Win 64bit) was unable to restart, not even in safe mode

- Bitdefender IS 2013 (Win Vista 32bit) no issues, but much too slow

- Avira (free) - no issues neither Win7 nor Vista (but don't like it)

- Bullguard 2012 and 2013 - works fine, both versions on all Windows Systems, but Outpost Firewall is driving me nuts

- Comodo 5 and/or 6, which is after Bullguard my favorite - no issues at all, but the AV sucks (much to many false positives and much too slow on a manual scan)

- Panda Cloud AV - works fine, but I want an AV which has both (Cloud and sigs)

- Zone Alarm - System was unuseable

So I am still looking for a smooth combination, but I definitely keep Malwarebytes, I would have deleted it for Emsisoft, but they are too expensive

Greetings deoroller67,

A couple of questions for you.

1. What AV and/or other security software are you presently using (in addition to MBAM Pro) now?

2. You stated Outpost Firewall was driving you nuts. Can you offer a little more info on what is creating problems for you?

For what it's worth, I utilize the security product combination shown in my Signature line. I have found Outpost Security Suite Pro and MBAM Pro to be quite effective and not a system resource hog. I've also used Avast AV (free version) with MBAM Pro prior to acquiring OSS Pro. Avast was light on system resource use as well.

As you no doubt know...there is no single AV program or IS software that will necessarily catch every piece of malware floating around on the Internet these days. Like you, I have tried various combinations of both paid and free AV/IS programs in combination with MBAM Pro, before settling on my present combination. Also, I can import IP blocklists into OSS Pro as needed. OSS also has the options of importing and exporting configurations. Outpost has free versions of its AV & Security Suite.

I've found their support system (both via Agnitum's Tech Support & the community forum) to be very helpful on the infrequent occasions when I may have a problem or other questions.

Just my 3 cents worth. I'm sure others in the forum here can offer their respective suggestions as well.

Good luck and regards, :)

EE

Hi Eagleeye,

At the moment I am using Comodo IS 6 with MBAM pro, which is running fine (always did), Sandboxie for all Browsers, VLC, PDF and for other things, and Hitman pro as an on demand scanner.

I was using Outpost from the beginning (1.0) but things changed and I never used it again until they offered Bullguard for approx. 10€ (1 Year Licence for 3 PC's) so I gave it a try and it definitely is a good piece of software (Bitdefender AV, Outpost, and Nova Shield BB) it also was working fine with Malwarebytes pro, but since a few days Outpost always reports Portscans from external IP adresses, which cannot be, because the router is OK, all ports are closed and on the other PC's (without Bullguard) I don't have those issues. Compared to Outpost IS BG has less possibilities to configure, so I still wait for the support to answer.

Outpost has free versions of its AV & Security Suite.

Compared to Comodo Outpost has a poor freeware version. If I choose Agnitum then the paid version.

I've found their support system (both via Agnitum's Tech Support & the community forum) to be very helpful on the infrequent occasions when I may have a problem or other questions.

Full Ack

• Root Admin

The link he was referencing should be this one: Free Antivirus Recommendations

However all you should really need is to have the proper exclusions setup to allow MBAM to work with your preferred antivirus product.

NIS 2013 - after installing it, the Computer (Win 64bit) was unable to restart, not even in safe mode

I know for a fact that this one works quite well as I'm using it on my wife's HP computer also running Windows 7 x64 and there are no issues with resources or lockups.

Unfortunately it's a difficult task keeping up with the exclusions and testing as the antivirus companies make program and internal changes year round.

We do have a section for the FAQ - Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions but many of the exclusion articles are getting old now and need updates.

Which antivirus product do YOU want to run with and we can hopefully get it working for you.

The link he was referencing should be this one: Free Antivirus Recommendations

Thanks for showing me this link, but I'm not looking for freeware only, I am willing to pay for good Software, like I did for MBAM :)

While not free, they do have specials every so often. Agnitum Outpost Security Suite has worked very well along with MBM and Superantispyware, both pro versions.

Thanks, maybe I should give Agnitum a try ^_^

• Root Admin

Well all of those on your list should work but may need exclusions set. In my opinion your #1 requirement should be a good product not one that can simply work with our product without touching it.

NIS, KAV I know work but require exclusions to be set as I have them. The others I would have to say do work (I just have not personally used them for a while) as we have many customers with those products but many that used to work out of the box no longer do because everyone is stepping up their game locking down all sorts of other programs and processes to attempt to stop malware threats which unfortunately in many cases can now require exclusions to be setup to allow our program to work with their antivirus.

I've tried several and I'm still not 100% satisfied

So I am still looking for a smooth combination, but I definitely keep Malwarebytes, I would have deleted it for Emsisoft, but they are too expensive

I use Kaspersky with mbam pro and they play great together, no slow down in performance at all. I've got exclusions set up though and use HitmanPro as a standalone scanner.

Well all of those on your list should work but may need exclusions set. In my opinion your #1 requirement should be a good product not one that can simply work with our product without touching it.

And I decided to use Comodo, because this product gives me the most posibilities to configure, it's light on the system and works fine with MBAM pro which I use as a second line of defense.

I have used MBAM Pro since 2010 or 2011. I am very happy with it --- at least until today. I just bought my daughter a laptop which came with WebRoot AV software. I plan to install MBAM on the laptop but wanted to read reviews on the AV. Much of what I read indicated that one should always run a good AV program along with MBAM.

I thought malware included viruses but apparently I'm wrong. Can you explain the differtences and the reasons MBAM does not protect against viriuses?

And please don't pin this topic. For me it is not pointless.

Thanks in advance

ehw

Hello ehw and :welcome:

DO I STILL NEED ANTIVIRUS?

MBAM is a complementary Anti-Malware solution to a fully installed Anti-Virus application.

Please see the following link for an explanation from one of our forum Experts.

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=487311

If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

Thank you

Hi, ehw:

In addition to Firefox's excellent advice....

Much of what I read indicated that one should always run a good AV program along with MBAM.

That is correct. :)

Can you explain the differtences and the reasons MBAM does not protect against viriuses?

Here's another link from the helpdesk FAQ that also explains the layered approach to computer security with a robust AV AND MBAM: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software? :)

Cheers!

daledoc1

Hello ehw and :welcome:

DO I STILL NEED ANTIVIRUS?

MBAM is a complementary Anti-Malware solution to a fully installed Anti-Virus application.

Please see the following link for an explanation from one of our forum Experts.

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=487311

If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

Thank you

Thank you for your prompt reply. Does Malwarebytes recommend or can you suggest one or more AV programs that work well with MBAM. I have a PC running Windows 7. I hope you can and will make a recommendation. But if not, can you tell me more about the niche filled by MBAM and how to tell if that's what missing from and AV program I might select.