Can't update with version 1.45 MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed, and am having the same problem trying to update version 1.45. Never had the problem previous to upgrading from version 1.44 to 1.45. Is it possible to find and download version 1.44 somewhere? I'd like to go back to 1.44 until this problem is resolved.

I have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed, and am having the same problem trying to update version 1.45. Never had the problem previous to upgrading from version 1.44 to 1.45. Is it possible to find and download version 1.44 somewhere? I'd like to go back to 1.44 until this problem is resolved.

Tried uninstalling twice and deleting firewall settings and rebooting, still no help. Using NORTON firewall and antivirus programs.Updated on laptop with no problem. That uses AVG and ZONEALARM programs. Has to do with NORTON some how, but don't know. Sounds like AD AWARE all over again!

Same problem here. I have Norton Security Suite 2010. Temporarily disabling the antivirus and firewall did not help. Uninstalling Malwarebytes (MBAM), using the clean tool, and reinstalling MBAM 1.45 also did not work.

I changed the Norton firewall setting to allow MBAM "Full" Internet access (instead of the default "Auto") but it didn't help either.

I looked through the Norton logs to see what entries might be in there related to MBAM. I noticed that Norton didn't like the file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mbam.sys although I never received any pop-up alert like I usually do. This may be the cause of the conflict between Norton and MBAM.

Until the problem is resolved, is there a way to manually update MBAM? Maybe a webpage I can download the latest database from? I promise I don't work for IOBit!!! LOL :rolleyes: (search these forums if you haven't heard about that)

Hi All -

If you think Norton is a problem we added this item just to cover the Norton Updated version - Also ensure that the items listed are excluded from your Firewall -

@ sladeus and thristyllama - You will find that the item you mention should be part of the exclusions also -

Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Read post #2 here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=45122

Same problem here. I have Norton Security Suite 2010. Temporarily disabling the antivirus and firewall did not help. Uninstalling Malwarebytes (MBAM), using the clean tool, and reinstalling MBAM 1.45 also did not work.

I changed the Norton firewall setting to allow MBAM "Full" Internet access (instead of the default "Auto") but it didn't help either.

I looked through the Norton logs to see what entries might be in there related to MBAM. I noticed that Norton didn't like the file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mbam.sys although I never received any pop-up alert like I usually do. This may be the cause of the conflict between Norton and MBAM.

Until the problem is resolved, is there a way to manually update MBAM? Maybe a webpage I can download the latest database from? I promise I don't work for IOBit!!! LOL :rolleyes: (search these forums if you haven't heard about that)

I tried adding C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mbam.sys to the Program Control list as Allow, but it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Root Admin

You cannot simply stop Anti-Virus as it uses drivers that cannot be stopped without disabling services and rebooting. Even when you disable the interface many of the AV protections still use their underlying filter driver to monitor and stop file access.

That is why the proper setup for file exclusions in both Anti-Virus and Firewall must be completed accurately.

Unfortunately we're not always able to test every single version of Anti-Virus out there to show the required exclusions but if you take your time and enable Advanced settings where possible and go through all the options slowly and review the current examples you should be able to setup the required exclusions.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

I downloaded 1.45 and got the error message. I disabled the NORTON firewall, temporary, and was able to updated program to full up to date version. I enabled after the update and tried to use the update button, and got the error message again. This is the ONLY version that I have had ANY problems with. All other versions worked perfectly with no adjustments on my end, it was flawless. Something in this version 1.45 is preventing it from "talking" to the outbound port to grant it access.with the firewall enabled.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved so so I won't have to disable the firewall every time I want to update program.

To all, advancedsetup was up till wee hours in the morning working on this. (My hat is off to this guy) The problem seems to be with symantic products, I disabled AV and firewall but on shutdown one of nortons files was still running (ccsvchst). They have yet to fix this. You can update in safemode with networking.

I updated mbam on my backup computer running avast5 and windows defender with no problems, updates and scans great. My main computer has nis2010 and since there last update has had the ccsvchst and full screen problems and now this. I have let symantec know about this problem so they can look into it from there side as it seems its there program thats having problems.

Once again boot into safemode with networking and it will update. I know is a pia but should get fixed soon.

@ thristyllama -

Please ensure the items that I have listed above are included in your FIREwall AND your Norton Antivirus -

Many people forget that the firewall section can be a separate part of the program -

Thank You - ;)

EDIT - Thank you nmac for your patience as there is always a bug or 2 in any updated version - :) (Mine is the Smileys :rolleyes: )

@ thristyllama -

Please ensure the items that I have listed above are included in your FIREwall AND your Norton Antivirus -

Many people forget that the firewall section can be a separate part of the program -

Thank You - ;)

EDIT - Thank you nmac for your patience as there is always a bug or 2 in any updated version - :) (Mine is the Smileys :rolleyes: )

Thanks!

All are included in both programs. Hopefully NORTON will get this fixed within the week. I am usually very leery of any first time release of new updates because of all the bugs aren't quite worked out yet.

@ thristyllama -

Thank You - ;)

Noknojon, do not thank me for my patience as I understand about bugs in any new version of any program, Just look at the problems that avast5 and norton had or still has. It is I that should be thanking you as in the past malwarebytes has always rushed to respond to any problems and not to say that one or more stayed awake all night trying to solve a problem.

I am using VIPRE and having the issue and I thought that they were a technology partner?

A partner with who ??- VIPRE is a "force unto its self" - Several of the members that use the paid version of MBAM and VIPRE together had a minor problem to begin with - They found that by setting MBAM to start 60 seconds After start up it was negating this clash - I have a half written script for VIPRE users that never was finished (due to illness and the 1.45 updates) - If you are using the paid version of MBAM then ensure as many of the exclusions are added and then set Malwarebytes to start 60 seconds after normal start up - I will add more for VIPRE once it is completed and tested -

AND, MOST IMPORTANT, the only way I've found to avoid startup conflicts is to set MBAM *not* to load at startup. Despite a successful

install, I found that this DOES create hangups. So, I boot the system up, and once everything (including WISE) has loaded, I then start

MBAM and enable active protection. It doesn't seem to matter if WISE has done its update check yet before starting MBAM,

but I usually allow it to do so. (The other options, as you know, are to add that registry tweak to delay the MBAM startup, or to use

WinPatrol to configure MBAM for a custom, delayed start.)

This is part of the unfinished script -

Thank you for being patient - :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I followed the instructions and added all the MBAM files listed to both the antivirus and firewall parts of Norton Internet Security 2008 as either Trusted, Allowed or Exclude from scanning. Then I rebooted. Unfortunately it made no difference and I'm still getting the error message.

I'd be interested to know if adding these files has fixed the problem for anyone.

Tony

@ GRUMPY -

Most of the people with early problems are now able to fully update and access the program - Please use the Help & Support or the Get Support tabs that you have on your Norton - There may be a simple answer from them instead of the time that you have spent here -

They offer support for you, can you please try it and then post back - You seem to be the only problem from the 1 million downloads/updates that still exists - Adding the exclusions has worked for many and I will add the other solution that worked -

Your Norton lists it as 3.8.0.41 , 2009 - Norton 360 current version is V4

As long as it is NOT due to current live Malware preventing the update then this method may help restore the ability to run updates

After each step please try to run the Update again in the MBAM program.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
  • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.
  • Click on OK
  • Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you've completed backing up your Registry, please perform the following fixes until fixed or all methods have been tried

• Open Internet Explorer
  • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
  • Use this diagram as a guide
  • Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 02

STEP 02

Disable Internet Explorer Proxy Settings and Reset TCP/IP

It is very important that these steps be carried out exactly as shown otherwise the fix will not work.

If you have any questions please ask before moving on.

• Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document.
  • Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop - The .bat extension is important
  • In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

• On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.
  • On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes
  • This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.
  • Restart your computer now.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.
  • Launch MBAM and check for Updates

STEP 03

Ping the Content Delivery Network

For Windows XP:

Click on START - RUN and type in or Copy/Paste the following and verify that you get a response

CMD.EXE /K PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Click on START and in the search line type in CMD and you should see cmd.exe show on the menu. Right click over cmd.exe and select Run as administrator

Then in the DOS console window type in the following and press the Enter key and verify that you get a response

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

If all the pings failed then please try running the following command

TRACERT mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Then copy and paste back the results on your next reply.

STEP 04

Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products -

EDIT - Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page if you respond -

Hello and like many of you who have posted here about this topic, count me in as another who is receiving these messages. I'm using Sunbelt's Vipre AV Premium and have narrowed the problem with the updates on my machines at least to the Web Filtering setting of the firewall. I'd like to know what the web address for the updates portion for Malwarebytes is accessing. I'd like to try to put that address in as an exception and see if that solves the problem. Thank you.