Protection Module Errors

I have followed these instructions but reactivating the program using the license doesn't work. I don't understand mbam-clean.exe, it is the same as uninstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

This is a guidence you should only follow if you experience any error messages, i beleive. The "utility" is a little program that fix errors. If you have any errors messages, you need to uninstall MBAM first and restar your computer before you install this utility and restart the computer again(they say: "very important") After restart you download from the link in step 3.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hi:

I'm having problems with the protection module errors.

This is what I get:

[Open Event] Failed to performed desired action. Error Code: 2

This usually only happends when I log out and log back in.

If I restart the computer it would load properly on the system tray.

Now, I have already tried to un-install the program as per instruction here in the forum but still

doesn't want load in the system tray; unless I restart the computer.

I have the lastest version of Anti-malwarebytes 1.33

Running Windows XP Pro. Service Pack 3

Thanks in Advance.

I can't say for sure, but I think my issue with protection failing to start also only occurs when I log out and log back in. It's fairly infrequent. I'll pay more attention and submit a follow up post if I can verify when the issue occurs. I did the uninstall, clean, and reinstall (per the directions) a couple of weeks ago, but the failure has occurred since then.

Same problem.

Boot - Logon - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon in the System tray with options to disable protection, etc.

Logoff - Logon - no icon. Taskmgr shows mbamgui.exe running.

Manually start Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and protection is enabled. Exit program.

Taskmgr shows mbamgui.exe running. In a few minutes, the "[OpenEvent] Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2" popup occurs. Taskmgr does not have mbamgui.exe listed anymore.

Re-boot - Logon 2nd UserID - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon in the System tray with options to disable protection, etc.

Logoff - Logon - no icon. Taskmgr shows mbamgui.exe running.

Manually start Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and protection is enabled. Exit program.

Taskmgr shows mbamgui.exe running. In a few minutes, the "[OpenEvent] Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2" popup occurs. Taskmgr does not have mbamgui.exe listed anymore.

Switch Users - 1st UserID has Taskmgr showing mbamgui.exe running. In a few minutes, the "[OpenEvent] Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2" popup occurs. Taskmgr does not have mbamgui.exe listed anymore.

So, only the initial LogonID after bootup or Restart will have a functioning System Tray Icon.

Interestingly, MAW will do an auto-update with no listing in Taskmgr running so other program functions are working.

I have done a clean uninstall, reboot, run mbam-clean.exe, reboot, re-install twice now. No change.

Okay. I think I fixed "[OpenEvent] Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2" popup.

I did another uninstall. Rebooted. Ran mbm-clean.exe. Rebooted.

I noticed that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ had

Ignore.dat and Rules.ref files in it. I deleted both files.

Then I deleted the files in C:\Documents and Settings\UserID1\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

and

C:\Documents and Settings\UserID1\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Quarantine

directories.

and the files in

C:\Documents and Settings\UserID2\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

and

C:\Documents and Settings\UserID2\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Quarantine

directories.

Then I re-installed v1.34.

So far, repeated logoffs - logons - and switch users have worked.

That's all I did. I have no idea as to why it works now. Go figure.... :P

I am experiencing the same problem as jsb2b though I have not documented all the scenarios for encountering the problem. I bought and used Malwarebyte's for a couple of years with no problems. I upgraded to Vista last week and the problems began. There are several error codes that come up but it is probably the same thing causing all the problems.

When I look at General Settings under the Protection tab of Malwarebytes, it says "Protection Module is disabled". I select the button for Start Protection and immediately to following two messages pop up (in this order):

"[CreateService] Failed to perform desired action. ErrorCode: 1073"

"The Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Protection is already running!"

I am using version 1.34 and already did the removal and reinstall with the same results.

The Malwarebytes' log says :

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34

Database version: 1833

Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

3/11/2009 12:02:17 AM

mbam-log-2009-03-11 (00-02-17).txt

I just purchased Malwarebytes two days ago after it successfully removed some malware. I was satisfied with it until yesterday morning when I turned on my computer and it was not in the system tray, even though I had the boxes checked for it to start with windows and start minimized. When I tried manually running the program, I, too, received the pop up messages

"[CreateService] Failed to perform desired action. ErrorCode: 1073"

"The Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Protection is already running!"

and after closing the pop ups, a few minutes later, I would receive the pop up "[OpenEvent] Failed to perform desired action. Error code: 2"

I tried a clean uninstall, reboot, mbam-clean uninstall, reboot and fresh install 4 times and each time got the same results.

I would like to deploy it on 35 seats (licenses purchased), all running XP SP3, but won't until this is figured out. Please help.

All of you guys experiencing this problem, please either create a new topic or open a ticket in our helpdesk. We would prefer to work through each case individually.

Note that an RSIT log will help us gather information on what could be causing this. If you don't want those logs posted publicly, then open a ticket on the helpdesk.

All of you guys experiencing this problem, please either create a new topic or open a ticket in our helpdesk. We would prefer to work through each case individually.

Note that an RSIT log will help us gather information on what could be causing this. If you don't want those logs posted publicly, then open a ticket on the helpdesk.

I submitted a trouble ticket. The form asks for an Order Number but I do not have one. I purchased Malwarebytes' but I don't have an Order Number. I have an ID number ***** and a key number but no order number. :P

I submitted a trouble ticket. The form asks for an Order Number but I do not have one. I purchased Malwarebytes' but I don't have an Order Number. I have an ID number ***** and a key number but no order number. :P

The order number is the CleverBridge Reference Number. Doesn't matter anyway, we will help you without it.

Hi Marcin,

When I try to run the tool I get the error: "SHGetValue failed with error code 0".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I get the same error message when I run the cleaning tool. I entered a trouble ticket about the Protection Module failure but was just referred back to this thread. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'm atthe right place or not. I had something like MS 2009 popping up trying to get me to download. I installed this malware bytes program and it got rid of it. Since, I cannot get any webpage to come up. Says page cannot be displayed. The only one I can get to work is the one I use to connect to another pc. I CAN get on Instant messenger and this one webpage but no others. Any suggestions?

• Root Admin

Hello tdaffin and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.
  • Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review
  • NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

I downloaded the database update yesterday that was suppose to fix this problem, and I did not get any errors afterward. When the computer was started today, the program hung trying to check for an update. After a few minutes, it gave a message saying it could not find the database and asked if I wanted to download the database again. I answered yes, and it donwloaded OK.

I have never had this happen before and do not know if it is related to this problem or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Malwarebytes I've tried your fix for error code 721 (0,28) and it didnt work. I'm using Vista. One thing I do notice is I get the error when it scans this file everytime.

ProgramData\Norton\{oc55c096-ofid-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\Norton\QBackup\{a6bacb2a-7935-4b80-9a75-047e30}

I checked norton to make sure it doesnt have Malwarebytes on its list and it doesnt and I didnt see an area where I could exclude norton is malwarebytes scan. Will this error prevent Malwarebytes from picking up infections and do you guys have a fix for this?

Thanks for your help

• Staff
Hey Malwarebytes I've tried your fix for error code 721 (0,28) and it didnt work. I'm using Vista. One thing I do notice is I get the error when it scans this file everytime.

ProgramData\Norton\{oc55c096-ofid-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\Norton\QBackup\{a6bacb2a-7935-4b80-9a75-047e30}

I checked norton to make sure it doesnt have Malwarebytes on its list and it doesnt and I didnt see an area where I could exclude norton is malwarebytes scan. Will this error prevent Malwarebytes from picking up infections and do you guys have a fix for this?

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the forums.

The solution here is to switch to quick scan, we won't scan that section of the drive. Malware does not hide in quarantine folders or back up folders

There are a few known issues with current versions of Norton products. Try disconnecting from the internet (for safety) then disabling Norton's active protections, then do the MBAM scan and see if it works. If it does, reenable Norton and then reenable your internet connection. It's a temporary workaround, but it should help (hopefully :D ).

edit: Sorry TeMerc, didn't mean to step on your toes :) .

• Staff
There are a few known issues with current versions of Norton products. Try disconnecting from the internet (for safety) then disabling Norton's active protections, then do the MBAM scan and see if it works. If it does, reenable Norton and then reenable your internet connection. It's a temporary workaround, but it should help (hopefully :D ).

[edit]Sorry TeMerc, didn't mean to step on your toes :) .[/edit]

It's all good my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All and thanks in advance for the effort guys

I need help with this

I'm getting this Error code 732 when ever i click on the start protecion and I'm not sure why ... i got the latest version of Malwarebytes 1.36

I've installed it and uninstalled it twice but still getting the same msg

thanks in advance for your help .

• 2 weeks later...
If you are having any problems with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware protection please do the following.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility.

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here.

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via e-mail.

If it's not one error it's another error. Jeez. Anyway, I was scanning my computer and Error Code 721 (0,28) came up. I would follow those steps, but I didn't install Malwarebytes. I had it taken to a computer place and they were the ones who did it. So, I don't have the license thing.