Unable to register the DLL/OCX mbamext.dll fix

• Root Admin

NOTE: This is a BETA test Fix written by AdvancedSetup. Please provide feedback.

If you have ever recieved either of these eror messages and Malwarebytes has not installed or you had to press the Ignore button to continue then you may want to consider running this routine to possibly correct it.

Run-time error '372' vbalsgrid6.ocx

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5

After being able to duplicate this issue of vbalsgrid6, mbamext.dll, and SSubTimer6 failure to register OCX I've written a small procedure that is designed to correct possible Registry permission errors that prevent Malwarebytes from installing. You should ONLY follow this procedure if you're encountering this OCX or DLL REGSVR32 error.

STEP 1

• Download and install SubInACL
  • By default it installs to:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

• Either download
    this batch file
    to your desktop, or copy and paste the code below into a new NOTEPAD file and save it as
    updateMBperms.bat
    to your desktop

• AFTER
    you have installed SubInACL then double click on either the downloaded batch file or the one you created to update the Registry permissions.

• Note!
    Users on Vista will need to right click on the batch file and select
    Run as Administrator

@ECHO OFF

::Written to update registry permissions for Malwarebytes installation issues.

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt.1 /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SSubTimer6.CTimer /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SSubTimer6.GSubclass /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SSubTimer6.ISubclass /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vbAcceleratorSGrid6.cGridCell /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vbAcceleratorSGrid6.cGridSortObject /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vbAcceleratorSGrid6.IGridCellOwnerDraw /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vbAcceleratorSGrid6.vbalGrid /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=%USERNAME%=f /setowner=administrators

ECHO .

ECHO All done. Please try to reinstall Malwarebytes now.

pause

STEP 2

Now try to reinstall
Malwarebytes v1.50.1
again

STEP 3

Please let us know if this corrected the issue so that we can build this into the regular installer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5

The other two files registered; mbamext didn't. When I then attempted to register mbamext.dll using regsvr32, the error message return code was 0x80040154, which Winerror.h says is:

//MessageId: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG

//

// MessageText:

//

// Class not registered

Before installation of 1.75 the MBAMext keys didn't exist. Even after I installed 1.75 (by clicking ignore when I got the "failed to register" message), the mbamext keys didn't exist. However, the scanner seemed to run without problems and completed its log. (I did both a quick and a full scan.)

I then created the two MBAMext keys and ran the two related subinacl commands. These just added the RESTRICTED group and changed the owner from my username (which is an administrator) to the administrators group. (I'm not sure the RESTRICTED group means anything, since I'm running XP SP2.)

I again attempted to register mbamext.dll using regsvr32, but the error message return code was still 0x80040154. That seemed logical as the MBAMext keys that I created don't have clsid subkeys.

I hope this will help you debug the problem. I don't know how the class ID system works, but if the numbers are the same for all installations, perhaps you could supply a reg file so the registration could be done manually. Also, can you confirm whether MBAMext.dll needs to be registered just for scanning?

Thanks for your help.

• Root Admin
The other two files registered; mbamext didn't. When I then attempted to register mbamext.dll using regsvr32, the error message return code was 0x80040154, which Winerror.h says is:

//MessageId: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG

//

// MessageText:

//

// Class not registered

Hi Charles,

Well you may want to try to follow the routine below as best you can (ignoring the MBAM portion for now)

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

We will try to see if some other Malware or other issue is causing this as best we can.

As far as I know the mbamext.dll file only adds the Right Click functionality to the program. It should not have any affect on the scanning.

That doesn't sound like the target a malware writer would want to attack, while at the same time letting the other DLL/OCX register and the scan run. I scanned with MBAM, Avira, Dr.Web and PandaOnline and the scans were clean (except for Dr. Web and Panda reporting some false positives in uninstalled software).

I had been having serious registry problems a few weeks ago with regsvr32 failing and jscript and vbscript not working. They were cured by running a script like yours, except it applied to the entire registry. See: Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool

I think my original problem was caused by changing my Windows username (the real one, not the login one). I successfully changed all references to it in registry keys, but I had an old QuickTime installed whose ownership was the old name. As a result, a lot of keys for filetypes and scripting now had owners who didn't exist, so the keys couldn't be deleted or modified. The SubInACL script fixed all that, but perhaps the original problem -- or the extreme cure -- created some other issues.

I finally succeeded in registering MBAMext by brute force. I examined the registry on another machine that had a successful installation of MBAM 1.27. I exported all the registry keys related to MBAMext and added them to my machine's registry. The MBAM scan context menu item now works. [small suggestion: the log would be improved if it included the pathname of the folder or file scanned.]

I have attached the REG files to this post in a ZIP archive in case others will find them helpful.

Thanks for you help and for the great product!

MBAMextReg.zip

MBAMextReg.zip

Hi, registered new here because of your great work with Anti-Malware.

I was hit by a number of trojans etc which were blocking me out of Malwarebytes.org; today I successfully did a scan with AVAST which finally nailed them (I hope) - at least my browser will now go to your site, and I can download Anti-Malware. But I still get the "unable to register the dll/ocx" message at the end of trying to install.

So when I follow the link you posted to SubInACL, (using Firefox) I see the microsoft page fine, but when I click on "download" something buggy happens and I get "address not found". If I *very* quickly select the splash screen offering to try the "beta version" of the download page, I get something that looks exactly like the original page, but this time I can start the download... but what I'm downloading is Silverlight.exe and not the MSI file... IE doesn't find the download link at all, I just get "The page cannot be displayed".

I've disabled all add-ons in Firefox, and I tried pasting the MSI link into Leechget but it just stalls and does nothing.

Thanks for any further advice.

• Root Admin

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

I'd suggest doing this portion so that we can help you get it fully cleaned up and then do the SubInACL so that you can have a proper install running on your system.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

Hi, registered new here because of your great work with Anti-Malware.

I was hit by a number of trojans etc which were blocking me out of Malwarebytes.org; today I successfully did a scan with AVAST which finally nailed them (I hope) - at least my browser will now go to your site, and I can download Anti-Malware. But I still get the "unable to register the dll/ocx" message at the end of trying to install.

So when I follow the link you posted to SubInACL, (using Firefox) I see the microsoft page fine, but when I click on "download" something buggy happens and I get "address not found". If I *very* quickly select the splash screen offering to try the "beta version" of the download page, I get something that looks exactly like the original page, but this time I can start the download... but what I'm downloading is Silverlight.exe and not the MSI file... IE doesn't find the download link at all, I just get "The page cannot be displayed".

I've disabled all add-ons in Firefox, and I tried pasting the MSI link into Leechget but it just stalls and does nothing.

Thanks for any further advice.

Silverlight is Micorsoft's answer to the flash war they are having with Adobe. Some of their sites are going that route now and need to have Silerelight installed to take full advantage of some things the have to offer.

Hi all -

I seem to have a very similar problem. I receive the three "Unable to register" messages!

I am trying to reset registry permissions, as I have a feeling the malware has damaged the permissions of some registry files.

However, this will be my second time doing so. I tried installing subinacl, but it also gives me an error when I try to open it - it also failed with regsvr32.dll.

Now I'm stuck and can't fix it with anything :D

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

Hi all -

I seem to have a very similar problem. I receive the three "Unable to register" messages!

I am trying to reset registry permissions, as I have a feeling the malware has damaged the permissions of some registry files.

However, this will be my second time doing so. I tried installing subinacl, but it also gives me an error when I try to open it - it also failed with regsvr32.dll.

Now I'm stuck and can't fix it with anything :D

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

If you are using xp you can try this program, it's called dial-a-fix: http://djlizard.net/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip Unzip it to your desktop and then double click on dial-a-fix.exe and when it opens, click on the Policies button at the bottom. As long as you are logged on as an administrator it should show and allow you to remove policy restrictions. If no restrictive policies are found, the window that pops up will be blank and it will say no restrictive policies found at the bottom, if they are found you can click the remove button to remove the restrictions. If that doesn't fix you up then it could be caused by a nasty infection and you should read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7 One of the experts here will assist you in cleaning your machine. Good luck and safe surfing.

• Root Admin

Hello girpace,

Not sure exactly but just a note that the above method and script was only written and tested on Windows XP ENGLISH version. Using this script on any other Language version may not work correctly as it is hard coded and not based on language variables.

However as long as some service is not preventing it you can basically manually do the same thing from within REGEDIT by taking ownership of the registry keys in question back, then re-assign full permissions to those keys for your account again.

If you are using xp you can try this program, it's called dial-a-fix: http://djlizard.net/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip Unzip it to your desktop and then double click on dial-a-fix.exe and when it opens, click on the Policies button at the bottom. As long as you are logged on as an administrator it should show and allow you to remove policy restrictions. If no restrictive policies are found, the window that pops up will be blank and it will say no restrictive policies found at the bottom, if they are found you can click the remove button to remove the restrictions. If that doesn't fix you up then it could be caused by a nasty infection and you should read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7 One of the experts here will assist you in cleaning your machine. Good luck and safe surfing.

I can not thank you enough. This tool did the trick for me, i.e. Dial a fix: Tools and then the Repair Permissions option.

I reinstalled MalwareBytes without problems after running this tool.

I can not thank you enough. This tool did the trick for me, i.e. Dial a fix: Tools and then the Repair Permissions option.

I reinstalled MalwareBytes without problems after running this tool.

Excellent, I'm glad I could help. Don't forget though, you may still have a lingering infection so to be safe I would recommend reading the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7 One of the experts here will have a look at your logs (be patient, it takes time they are busy), and they will let you know if you are clean.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience was similar and I tried this process but it failed to work for me.

My install of Malwarebytes failed this way before and after the fix described in this thread...

C:\Program Flles\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ssubtmr6.dll

Mine failed with Unable to register the Dll/OCX: RegSrv32 failed exit code 0x3... not 0x5.

• 2 weeks later...
I followed the instructions.. installed the batch file & still get the same message :)

What can I do now to get MWB installed?

I hope that batch file doesn't do any damage to other things in my computer.

I don't see an edit button so hope this works..

I didn't post what the error message was

post-6781-1229752407_thumb.jpg

post-6781-1229752407_thumb.jpg