Log files NOT where I want them

The ability to have MBAM store log files where I want them appears to be present in the "Advanged" drop-down for edit in Automated Scheduling is nice but my problem is that the directory I want them to be stored in keeps reverting to where MBAM want to store them.  The radio button reverts back to "Use Existing Settings" even though I specifically select the next radio button "Specify custom settings" and add a directory to the dialog box.  I click "OK" and close MBAM.

The next time I open MBAM, the setting has reverted to "Use Existing Sett9ings".  How the heck to I make this setting STICKY (I.E. where I want them)?

I've searched out every place where I can insert a directory for storage, changed it to my desired directory, and saved the configuration.  Next time I open MBAN, the stupid settings have reverted yet again.

ANy magic bullets for this?

Mortimer

Yes.  This is a paid version.  Unfortunately, this is happening on four of my computers.  One of them is a newly purchased laptop that has never had any version of MBAM on it so it was a clean install right off the bat.  It is exhibiting this failure to retain settings also.  I'll try a clean delete (probably using Revo) and install the latest version to see if that fixes the problem, but I have my doubts.  Thanks for the reply.

Mortimer

I set up a scan with the log sent to a TMP folder on my C: root and I  just checked and the log was there. This is with Win 8.1.1

On four computers makes me think that you are picking a location that logs can't be saved to. Make a folder in the root of your drive called TMP, not logs, and see if it then works.

On my computers, I am the Admin user.  I know that's not a good practice, but there are no other users on any of my systems and access is restricted as I do a lot of research and most of it is confidential for my customers.  I just set up a special scan, set the correct radio buttons, saved the setup, and ran the scan.  The log ended up under the Malwarebytes directory in my Program Files and NOT where I told it to store it.  This was on the laptop which has had no other version of MBAM on it.

It is no big deal to go to where MBAM wants to store the dumb things, but when  "feature" isn't working, I get to wondering what else isn't working properly.  If we are to be allowed to set the location for log storage, then it should work.  The location I am specifying is located on a 3.0Tb USB external drive that is physically attached to one of the computer and logically attached (network) to the others.  I guess it could be that MBAM won't save over a network, but then I should save log files for the MBAM running on the computer with the drive attached physically.

Nobody like change.  I write software myself and know this to be ture.  For every new piece of software that gets released there are bugs.  it is inevitable that they will appear.  If this isn't a bug, then it is something that should be looked into to find out why settings won't save.  For the most part, I can save the setting I want and immediately re-edit the Automated Schedule I just saved and it is back to the default setting again.  In my book, that's a bug or a severe conflict with something on four systems (Win7-32, Win7-64, WinVista-32, and WinXPPro-SP3-32).

Mortimer

That's easy to check if you save to a folder on the local drive like I did.

I may try to to save a log to another machine on my network if I can figure out how.

I don't know how to edit a post, but ever asked !!!!

Just tried a new scan, setting the log to a new directory at the root of drive C.  No go.  Didn't work.  I still found it under \malwarebytes.  When I went to check and see what had happened to the radio buttons, they had reverted to the top button instead of my custom setting (the second button).  Very strange, indeed.

I'm going to just quit flogging this dead horse and move on.  Thanks everyone for your answers.  Time for bed here.

Mortimer

I don't think you can edit until you get to 100 posts.  "AdvancedSetup" can confirm or deny if he's lurking.

I just set logging to go to a shared network drive.  I had to do it explicitly because it would not appear on the Advanced Scheduling Explorer-like dialog.  The log went to my default log directory.

Then I set logging to go to a USB thumb drive.  It did appear in the Explorer-like dialog, and I selected it that way.  The log went to my default log directory again.

I'll send a link to this forum post so QA can check to see if this is an existing bug or not.  Thanks for the information!

• Root Admin

Due to abuse by some users we had to set a limit of 100 posts before you're allowed to edit your posts.

@Mortimer

There is obviously either some common piece of software or setting that is probably shared on all your systems that is interfering as no one else is reporting this issue and  Ken whom I don't know has also confirmed it's working for him. 

Unless you can think of an obvious piece of software that might be blocking this or some type of radical hardware change that is not typical of an average system then I would suggest starting on one of the systems and trying to track down the issue.  I'd suggest the clean removal (not some other 3rd party tool) and see if that corrects it. 

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If that does not correct it then read the following and post back the requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Are you browsing for a directory or just typing it in ? At the end of that box to change to another folder is a browse button.  I just set up a scan with the log going to another computer folder on my network.

If it DOES NOT WORK I will post back.

A hundred posts!! Holy cow!

@KenW:  I use the browse button to locate my save location.  Like Gonzo just stated, shared network drives don't show in the dialog box so you have to type it in.

@AdvancedSetup:  I disconnected one of my computers from the switch and turned off Emsisoft (which is my background A/V & A/M suite) and then attempted another scan with logging set to where I wanted it.  This time it worked and MBAM didn't keep changing it back to the default spot.  So, on that basis, there might be one small conflict between Emsisoft and MBAM although I have no real idea just what may be taking place, but at a guess, I'd say that Emsisoft may be blocking any "external" path to the MBAM executable that isn't where it was installed and, since MBAM finds that blocked, will use the default spot to save the log file.  it's a stretch, but the only thing I can come up with.  As far as hardware (or software) is concerned, the systems are so very different that they are unique unto themselves.  But they ALL have Emsisoft and MBAM installed

As I said before, this isn't a really big deal so I can just deal with it.  I was mainly interested in seeing if anyone else had this problem.

Mortimer

OK, my log saved to another computer. That computer has  Emsisoft anti malware on it, but the laptop I ran the scan from does not. So that could be a clue that it's on the sending computer that is the problem with Emsisoft.

Hello.

Please excuse me for dropping in, but Ron contacted me and asked me about this, and as I was checking in a virtual machine I was wondering about a couple of things:

• Are you using MBAM 1.7.5?
  • I assume you have Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40 installed?
  • Do you have Beta Updates enabled in Emsisoft Antti-Malware?
  • Do you have any other security software (such as a firewall) installed as well?
The last couple aren't as vital to my testing, and I expect the answer to be 'no' for both, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

1. MBAM 2.0.1.1004 is on my test machine.

2. Correct.  Emsisoft 8.1.0.40 (fully updated)

3. No.  Being a programmer, I dislike using Beta's of anything -- including my own stuff.

4. Just Windows firewall set to "Home Network"

Further testing on my part shows that the settings will 'sometimes' be retained, but not always.  I cannot find a reason for why they aren't retained (or are retained for that matter), but I am still searching for an answer.

Mortimer

Just to see if it helps in your case, lets add process exclusions in Emsisoft Anti-Malware for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Guard in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the File Guard tab.
  • In the lower-left corner, just above Alerts, click on the Manage whitelist link.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and change it from File to Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the white box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and these are the files you should add as process exclusions:
  • mbam.exe
  • mbamservice.exe
  • mbamscheduler.exe
After that, you can open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and do the following if you want to add exclusions for Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
  • Click on the Settings button in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Malware Exclusions in the menu on the left.
  • Click on the Add Folder button.
  • Find the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware on 64-bit editions of Windows), click on it to select it, and click the Select Folder button to add it.

I found those same instructions yesterday and applied them.

Your picture is correct.  This is the setting that keeps reverting back to the top radio button.

Picture 1 is properly filled in with the location I want for my logs.  I have yet to click the "OK" button.

mbam1.jpg

I click the "OK" button and then double-click the entry again.

What I get is this picture:

mbam2.jpg

The setting has reverted since closing and re-opening the setting dialog.

Mortimer

Please see my post #13.  I tried to force the log to my desired directory after turning off Emsisoft.  It did the same thing it has always been doing.

F: is a local, 3 TB, USB drive that has a great deal of free real estate on it.

MBAM Self-Protect is OFF.  Emsisoft Self-Protection is ON. But, inview of my first sentence, that doesn't appear to matter.

Mortimer

One bit of information that may have a bearing:

The F: drive, as I said, is a USB drive.  It is Western Digital and for some very annoying reason, it will "go to sleep" if not used after a period of time (that I cannot determine).  Is it possible that MBAM is rejecting this log location because it cannot immediately "see" that drive because the drive has "gone to sleep"?  Sometimes, when I open an Explorer window it takes as long as three to four seconds for it to display directories on that drive.

M

• Root Admin

Please see my post #13.  I tried to force the log to my desired directory after turning off Emsisoft.  It did the same thing it has always been doing.

Well you reported otherwise is why I asked for confirmation.

@AdvancedSetup: I disconnected one of my computers from the switch and turned off Emsisoft (which is my background A/V & A/M suite) and then attempted another scan with logging set to where I wanted it. This time it worked and MBAM didn't keep changing it back to the default spot.

You also said somewhere I though that you have 4 computers doing this.  Well certainly not all 4 of them have the exact same F: USB drive do they?

OFF-TOPIC

To keep the USB drive alive you might be interested in something like this.

http://keepalivehd.codeplex.com/