Free vs. Fee: Free, Paid Antivirus Programs..

ShyWriter

UkTpl.jpg

Free vs. Fee: Free, Paid Antivirus Programs

By Nick Mediati | November 29, 2010 09:45 PM ET

PC World - Depending on whom you ask, paying for antivirus software is either a good investment or a total ripoff. In reality, neither viewpoint is accurate. You can find plenty of good reasons to choose a paid antivirus product, and plenty of good reasons to go with a freebie.

We teamed up with security testing company AV-Test, to find out what you get--or don't get--with free antivirus, and when it makes sense to subscribe annually to a fee-based program.

Antivirus, Deconstructed

Four basic levels of antivirus products exist: free, paid antivirus, suites, and "premium" suites. As you move up the ladder from free antivirus to premium suites, you typically get more features, such as identity theft protection, firewalls, parental controls, and system performance tools.

Read the rest at: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9198565/Free_vs._Fee_Free_Paid_Antivirus_Programs

Enjoy,

~Shy

Heck Wayne; I *always* liked Norton on The Honeymooners; he was a lot funnier than Ralph.. :D

~Steve

PS: How goes the two races?? Win, lose, draw?? ;)

HAHAHA! Yep funnier than Gleason in good dry way!

Arghh! I did ok in the short two day race, 8th of 900 boats but i foolishly joined a 3500 mile week or more long race and although in the top 5% it is frustrating with several more days to sweat :)

Wayne

There is nothing wrong with a paid version of an AV program.

I don't like ones that you need to pay for just to remove detected threats :( like Spyware Doctor.

MBAM does a much better job for free! (When I ran SPDoc on an infected computer, it detected a variety of things that MBAM might not have caught, but it did not remove anything in the free version)

HAHAHA! Yep funnier than Gleason in good dry way!

Arghh! I did ok in the short two day race, 8th of 900 boats but i foolishly joined a 3500 mile week or more long race and although in the top 5% it is frustrating with several more days to sweat :(

Wayne

Steve i LMAO at this one :)

AliceKramden.png

Soo?

I still would go with free, since the tune up and extra features like that u can get better software then that!

Unless if it has more protection features.

And appearently a couple of months ago, the CEO of COMODO challenged Norton and then won.

The president or some person of Norton was saying FREE is not good.

So av-test tested CIS free v5 and it got %100 more then NIS 2011.

I went on av-test and i couldnt find a graph on it but I am sure that COMODO ain't lying.

His blog... http://www.melih.com/

A video on it...