My Website being blocked

emmsee

About 48 hours ago I failed to access the 'adventuresportnq.info' website, webmail, cpanel or wordpress dashboard.

I am the site owner and administrator.

Response on attempting to access the website was 'Network acess denied'

I had disabled both the hardware (Windows 8.1) firewall and AVAST firewall - still no access

I lodged a ticket with my host and asked my ISP if they were blocking the site -neither could give me an explanation as to why Access was being denied.

I turned off 'enable malicious website blocking' in Malwarebytes and , Hey Presto, all access is restored.

Turn it back on again and no access.

I've tried to enter a URL In the exclusions but help reveals that I cannot add a URL to the exclusion / whitelist!!

Guys, what gives - why are you blocking access to a sporting club website?

I need to get this fixed pronto as I've had dozens of phone calls/ texts asking what the probem is - all from Malwarebytes users.

regards

Mike

PS - No file attached as it is not relevant to the problem

Checking your site it's hosted at Siteground on 184.154.231.13. That IP block was put in place due to exploits being identified on there.

Andrew,

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean - are you talking about Siteground or 184.154.231.13 ?

What exploits are you referring to?

We are talking about a sporting club website here - were these 'exploits' reported?

By whom?

This is puzzling and to merely say 'due to exploits being identified on there'  

is not helpful and doesn't assist me to have the block removed.

Please provide more assstance to help me have the block removed.

regards

Mike

I don't know where "Siteground" comes from, I see adventuresportnq.info hosted by SingleHop, Inc..

Many times one IP represents many different web sites based upon the URL provided.  If another site co-located at the same IP is acting in a malicious fashion then other web sites fall into a guilt by association.  That is if the IP address is blocked co-located sites gets blocked as well.

Presumably another web site co-located at the same IP is hosting Exploit Code and thus your site is being affected.

I don't know where "Siteground" comes from, I see adventuresportnq.info hosted by SingleHop, Inc..

Many times one IP represents many different web sites based upon the URL provided.  If another site co-located at the same IP is acting in a malicious fashion then other web sites fall into a guilt by association.  That is if the IP address is blocked co-located sites gets blocked as well.

Presumably another web site co-located at the same IP is hosting Exploit Code and thus your site is being affected.

David,

Do you mean one IP address as we pay for a fixed IP address and our host (siteground.com) assures me it is shared with no one?

My contract is with Siteground.com and when I log in to my Cpanel or webmail it is via Siteground.com.

A tracert terminates at ns1.siteground238.com

Where did you find that SingleHop.inc is our host

I'll ask Siteground what relationship they have with Singlehop Inc.

I still don't understand what what 'exploit code' we are guilty of.

How do I find out what we are supposed to be doing (wrong) (ilegally)?

cheers

Mike

Now that I look again, I see the DNS Records do point to siteground238.com.

See attached...  adventuresportnq.info.zip

I didn't say adventuresportnq.info is hosting exploit Code.  I do not know the specifics in this situation.  I am only offering possible reasons. 

emmsee - you pay for a fixed IP - but not a dedicated IP.

Here is the difference.

A fixed IP means you get a single IP that does not change - but it can still be shared.  For mroe on shared, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_web_hosting_service

dedicated IP is one that only your site will be assigned to - not shared.  For info on dedicated IP hosting, see these blogs:  http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/1053/what-is-a-dedicated-ip and http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2013/08/26/do-i-need-a-dedicated-ip-address/

HTH

emmsee - you pay for a fixed IP - but not a dedicated IP.

Here is the difference.

A fixed IP means you get a single IP that does not change - but it can still be shared.  For mroe on shared, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_web_hosting_service

dedicated IP is one that only your site will be assigned to - not shared.  For info on dedicated IP hosting, see these blogs:  http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/1053/what-is-a-dedicated-ip and http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2013/08/26/do-i-need-a-dedicated-ip-address/

HTH

Thanks John,

That clarified that.

BUT...... how can I get the block removed that Malwarebytes has on my IP address?

Siteground just had this to say:

"we will inform you if we find unwanted piece of code on your account. I have checked your hosting account and you are clean from malicious code."

I get an email  from Siteground every week informing me that our website is clean, so I'm puzzled that MWB is saying I have exploit code.

I've also run a multi RBL check on our IP address and received 64 clean bills of health.

cheers

Mike

Just have to wait until they can work with your hosting company to get the offending site(s) removed from your IP address, and as soon a that is done they will remove the IP address from the definition file and MBAM will no longer block the website.

Again, it is not *your* website that is causing the issue, it is another website that happens to have the same IP address as your website.

MBAM blocks based upon IP addresses.

Just have to wait until they can work with your hosting company to get the offending site(s) removed from your IP address, and as soon a that is done they will remove the IP address from the definition file and MBAM will no longer block the website.

Again, it is not *your* website that is causing the issue, it is another website that happens to have the same IP address as your website.

MBAM blocks based upon IP addresses.

Thanks John,

Impatiently I wait!!!

cheers