IOBit Steals Malwarebytes' Intellectual Property

I'm not sure, but is having the same "virus name" illegal?

As GT500 said above, the indication of theft is not solely that they name some things the same way -- at least not for real malware. Many vendors do that. However, since the fake name Rogue.AVCleanSweepPro we made up does not actually exist anywhere in the wild, that alone would be an indication of theft.

The real indication of theft though is that they detect, under the same names, fake files that we (1) built ourselves internally, (2) never released to the internet, and (3) added fake definitions for to our own database. The only explanation is that they are stealing the definitions directly from our database.

EDIT: to clarify details.

Edited by Swandog46

The thing is, China plays by different rules - intellectual property is not deemed as important over there as in North America and Europe. Most Chinese would actually not see a problem with this at all, so there's probably not a lot you can do to fix this apart from raise awareness and get it removed off some download sites.

Quite audacious, really. I suppose you have to give them some credit for the sheer blatant cheek of it all!

Hi Swandog, hi everyone,

Very nice (beautiful) to see so many people at bottom of the screen! Wow! The anti-malware community is alerted!

Okay to follow your instructions, coordinate our posts and not write subjective words.

With you all at MB of course.

Specialforce posted about behavior in China; I read it might be similar in India!

Sorry if I didn't read carefully everything... what do IOBit say if you complain?

The thing is, China plays by different rules - intellectual property is not deemed as important over there as in North America and Europe. Most Chinese would actually not see a problem with this at all, so there's probably not a lot you can do to fix this apart from raise awareness and get it removed off some download sites.

I like to look at the bright side of things : it's never too late to learn ;)

Great job Team. :thumbsUp:

Cheers,

That makes it look pretty conclusive as regards their ethics. ;)

I find it amusing that the rating isn't changing. I guess people are content to leave bad comments, but not to go farther than that. Although I guess I can understand them not wanting to do something that they might have to go back and change later on, assuming they would want to undo their rating once the issue is resolved.

I find it amusing that the rating isn't changing. I guess people are content to leave bad comments, but not to go farther than that. Although I guess I can understand them not wanting to do something that they might have to go back and change later on, assuming they would want to undo their rating once the issue is resolved.

I agree. It only takes a moment to select the Reputation Rating. The comments help but DO NOT affect the rating. If nothing else, stealing another vendor's Intellectual Property certainly has an affect on their trustworthiness and vendor reliability. If you are a member of WOT and posted a comment, but did not select a score on reputation, please go back to the page http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/iobit.com#page-1 and click the link to edit the Reputation rating.