Hi,

i have just downloaded Malwarebytes and have installed the programme.

In addition, I have Avira installed

I start Avira starting under Vista, can I also start Malwarebytes with Windows, without problems?

I wanted the free version of Malwarebytes, but my version mentions Trial version in the Dashboard. Is this the free version?

Will Malwarebytes automtaiocally update the signature files?

There is a blue activate (inactive button) at the top. What does this mean?

What is a Potentailly Unwanted Programme? How does MB know?

What is a Potentailly Unwanted Modification?

What is the Access Policies box all about?

In Advanced Settings - why delay protection for say 15 secs (default)?

Enable self protection early start is off by deafult - seems odd!

Automatic scanning seems un-editable!

Thank you

hi anon_private,

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Here we go:

"I start Avira starting under Vista, can I also start Malwarebytes with Windows, without problems?"
Yes. That is one of the core features of Malwarebytes anti-malware (MBAM), being able to run alongside an AV.

"I wanted the free version of Malwarebytes, but my version mentions Trial version in the Dashboard. Is this the free version?"

No. To get you all excited about the premium version they'll let you try MBAM with all premium features enabled for a few weeks. This is the trail version you are running now. Over a while you will be presented the choice to either continue with the free version or buy the premium version. (If you wish to get rid of the trail version earlier, let us know.)

Will Malwarebytes automtaiocally update the signature files?

Only the premium and trail version should. The free version doesn't.

There is a blue activate (inactive button) at the top. What does this mean?

When you buy a license for the premium version you can use this button to active the premium version. SInce you wanted the free version, this is not really relevant for you.

What is a Potentailly Unwanted Programme? How does MB know?

What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats, and should they be deleted?

MBAM detects them about the same way it detects malware. Via the updates your local MBAM client gets the information.

What is a Potentailly Unwanted Modification?

Some programs change settings that you generally don't want changed. The programs doing this can be malware or PUP's. Examples of PUM's can be: changed file-assosiations (what file is opened with what program. .doc is generally opened by Word), your home page (if it was set to XXXNaughtystuff.something or the like), your security settings, your login preferences.

What is the Access Policies box all about?

Preventing other users of the computer and possibly some malware from changing setting's in MBAM or disabling it.

In Advanced Settings - why delay protection for say 15 secs (default)?

Is sometimes nessecary if MBAM conflicts with other software.

Enable self protection early start is off by deafult - seems odd!

I enabled it. It's probably off by default because the 'self-protection' is disabled by default as well. I do not know the exact reasons.

Automatic scanning seems un-editable!

Editing can be a little tricky. By clicking on the line that represents the setting you can select it, it turns blue (see picture). Now the edit button is enabled. Ignore the checkbox for what editting is concerned, that's only for removing planned updates and scans. (This is a premium feature.)

post-146800-0-12342800-1397550037_thumb.

I'll need to do some editing today to cover some of your questions. I hope this will answer some of your questions.

I think I covered all of your questions now. If you have any questions left or got a couple of new ones. Please post and ask.

Regards,

Durew

Thank you for such a detailed response, much appreciated.

Things are a little clearer.

I wont be buying the premium software, and intend to use the free version.

What is the best way to run Avira and MB, back to back (say Avira, then MB).

I ran Avira once a day manually (when convenient). At present, I run Avira (once daily), then run MB (once daily), manually.

I have also noticed that MB completes its scanning so much faster than Avira, I suppose that it uses different algorithms. Evidently Avira also looks for malware.

I have chosen to use two programmes in case one misses something important.

Best wishes.

A

I've just noticed that at the bottom of the 'Dashboard' is a link 'End Free Trial'. This looks like it will disable  'Real Time Protection', so I can end the trial at any time.

I can't see any reference to a countdown clock relating to the trial. This surprises me

Best wishes.

A

Thank you for responding.

I tried moving the MB icon into the Startup folder. After re-booting, I saw a message that told me that Windows blocks some programmes that require permission to run with Windows. I believe that MB is one of these programmes.

I deleted the icon from the startup folder and re-booted the machine and to my surprise the MB icon appeared in the startup tray.

At present, all is working.

I'll see what happens when I next re-boot.

Best wishes.

A

I tried moving the MB icon into the Startup folder. After re-booting, I saw a message that told me that Windows blocks some programmes that require permission to run with Windows. I believe that MB is one of these programmes.

I deleted the icon from the startup folder and re-booted the machine and to my surprise the MB icon appeared in the startup tray.

Yes doing this will produce the effect you received. You do not need to put the MBAM icon/shortcut in your startup folder.

Sometimes a couple of restarts seem to fix issues... let us know if it progresses...

I have the MB icon on the Desktop. I would like to delete this icon (from the Desktop), but I keep getting the message that I need permission, on clicking contimue, I get the same message.

When I installed MB I had the option of the desktop icon or not, I chose to have it, but I don't really need it.

I can't move it to another folder either (permission again).

Advice please.

Disable self protection and wait a few minutes and try again. If not, then while self protection is disabled, reboot the computer and try again.

Also just a thought.... the Malwarebytes Icon is placed in the All Users desktop folder. Are you logged in as administrator when your trying to delete that shortcut? You would have to have Admin writes to remove the shortcut as well.

I started MB in admin mode, disabled the self protection module, but could not delete the desktop icon.

I have not tied the re-boot yet.

The only reason to do that is if you are logged in as a limited account, is that the case here? If you are logged in as a limited account, you may not be able to delete the MBAM shortcut either. Usually shortcuts that are for all users you will need admin rights to delete those shortcuts.  Try logging in as an administrator...

I am using my own pc. I just login using my password to gain access to Vista. I don't know how to login as admin. I though that as owner of the pc then I am the admin.

I did run MB as admin. but I don't think that is what you mean. You are mentioning logging in ad admin. How can I do this.

If yours is the only account on this computer then you are most likely and admin....

Try going to this folder: C:\Users\Public\Desktop (I believe its the same in Vista as in Windows 7, never really played with vista myself) do you see a MBAM shortcut there?  If so try deleting it.

A few points:

The path to Desktop is different on my machine.

There are a variety of Vista OS's, e.g., Home Basic, Home Premium, Entrerprise, etc, and in 32 and 64 bit varieties.

I have now removed the icon.

I achieved this by using the command prompt run as administrator. Then typing:

net user administrator /active:yes

The deleting the icon.

I have now disabled administrator: .../active:no

Best wishes.

A