false Disabled.Cryptsvc virus

ellenelle

I did a scan last night that gave a false result I'd like to report.

I have gradually been turning off unnecesssary services on my XP SP3 computer. I had turned off Cryptograhic Services yesterday. The scan log showed that I had some sort malware called something like Disabled.Cryptsvc virus. I turned the service back on to check and scanned again, and there was no "virus" reported. So it seems the scan is reprting based on a revice's being turned off rather than finding some sort of virus.

Ellen

Greetings :)

That is correct. First off, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not a virus scanner in the typical sense, it is an anti-malware software. One of the many things that we check a system for are changes which might be considered malicious, particularly when those changes are often made by infections.

In this particular case, the Cryptographic Services service was disabled. This is something that infections will frequently do, so Malwarebytes Anti-Malware flagged it as a detection when you had it disabled.

FYI turning off crypto will disable windows updates and your system's ability to replace corrupt system files with correct versions. Both of these tricks are used by malware to make a system easier to compromise and keep it compromised. This is why we correct the problem.

• 8 months later...