Why isn't Malwarebytes finding/removing adware? Is there a way to fix my PC?

I know Malwarebytes is supposed to get rid of malware but don't malware cause adware? You see I used Malwarebytes Free version to get rid of adware before and it worked like a charm. Now it is saying it is not finding any malicious threats on my computer when I use Full Scan and Quick Scan. There was one time it did find two adware like bugs on my computer and when I removed them and restarted the computer the adware in the Internet remained!!! I also have AVG 2013 Anti-Virus Free and it doesn't even pick up any threats! I know it is adware due to the clutter of fake ads and prize offers so why isn't these two devices picking up the adware? I am not a computer guru so my knowledge of computers is limited. Is there a free, easy, and most importantly SAFE way to get rid of the adware and speed up my computer?

:welcome:

Adware is kind of a touchy subject. Many times users click through software installs without paying attention to the installation which results in this type of thing as the adware is often presented during install prechecked and the user becomes impatient and quickly clicks through the installation allowing it to be installed. This type of adware is legit and not detected as it has a valid license agreement that was accepted. However, if it was secretly installed without a prompt or user consent as part of a software then the adware is considered malicious.

I recommend going into Control Panel and clicking Programs and Features and removing anything that sounds like advertising such as toolbar or price check etc. If that doesn't help you may wish to seek professional help. In that case see

Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Also did you install anything recent? Such as poker games, download manager or free smiley packages? Stuff like this often carries adware in order to pay for itself. Want you to run this tool so I get an idea of what's installed that way you may not have to get support if it's just a simple junky program.

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, I am new to the forum, but I seem to be having the same problem! I have tried full/quick scans by Malwarebytes to find my annoying adware problem, but have had no luck, although I do believe, as the other poster said, it did find Adware Hotbar when this problem started, and removed it. It is pretty annoying with all the pop-up ads. Do you have any suggestions for me, please. I did go through my programs, and even uninstalled Adobe Acrobat so I'm pretty desperate to find this, as I was suspicious of even that version 11! Your suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Needinghelp1234

• 3 years later...

Hello and :welcome:, @BibicalDeath:

This thread is more than 3 years old.:(

Each computer is unique. The same applies to the needed cleanup and repair. So, anything applicable 3 years ago would no longer be helpful today. And we no longer use "DDS" for preliminary diagnostics.:(

Malware cleanup is conducted either in a special section of the forum, or at the Help Desk, via email.

So if you think you might be infected, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.

If you are having other, non-malware related issues with installing or running MBAM, then I suggest that you please do the following:

1. First, please follow the advice here: Diagnostic Logs
  2. Then, please ATTACH all 3 logs to a new, separate post here in this section of the forum.
  3. And, please explain a bit more the issue you are having.

Thank you,