• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#61 computerdummy

computerdummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Is the DL link supposed to take you to major geeks.com to get the software? Or am I getting redirected maliciously?

#62 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts
  • Interests:Security, Windows, Windows Update, malware prevention

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

The download link is rotated between a few different hostsites. One of them is MajorGeeks. You're ok to proceed.
It is not malicious.
Maurice Naggar
Product Support

staff.png

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

I close my threads if there is 5 days without a response.

#63 computerdummy

computerdummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thank you!! One more question... Do you need an anti-virus in addition to MBAM, or does this serve as AV as well?

Thanks

#64 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

MBAM does not have an anti-virus component. Your system must have an anti-virus app. Get one right away if you do not have one.
That is rule #1. ie, the pc is at high risk otherwise.
Maurice Naggar
Product Support

staff.png

#65 mackuen

mackuen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Please add another who received the surprise update and then crash. (Vista Ultimate here.) Will give the uninstall-download-clean-reinstall-reconfirm sequence in the hope that this works.

Gosh.

Mike

#66 daledoc1

daledoc1

Forum Deity

• Spam Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

Version 1.60 PRO clean install running smoothly on both Win7 rigs here.

Great job, MBAM team!

daledoc1

Just a home user & forum volunteer
DT1: Win7/Ult/64 SP1; Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4 GHz; 16 GB RAM; NVidia GeForce GT620; IE9; Fx; TB; Cable HSI; MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300; KIS2014; SAS Free; CCleaner
DT2: Win7 Ult/64 SP1; Intel Core i7-860 @2.8 GHz; 8 GB RAM; ATI Radeon HD 5770; IE 9, Fx; TB; Cable HSI; MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300; KIS2014; SAS Free; CCleaner.
LT: Win7 Pro/64 SP1; Intel Core i7-3632 cached @3.2 GHz; 16 GB RAM; NVidia GeForce GT640M; IE 10; Fx; TB; WLAN; MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300; Sophos ES 10.3; SAS Free; CCleaner.

#67 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

@mackuen
Mike, please be sure to follow Ron's advice on mbam-clean sequence, ref http://forums.malwar...howtopic=103145
Maurice Naggar
Product Support

staff.png

#68 mountaintree16

mountaintree16

bird lover

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, music, birds, bird watching, walking, reading, animals, computer security, poetry...

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Running well so far on VISTA SP2 w/ MSE & exclusions added, installed via MBAM notification prompt & rebooted & all seems fine :)

I haven't installed it on my system yet... but I will report back when I do! :)

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives.
It's what we do consistently.

Tony Robbins

#69 Deneb

Deneb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Running like a dream here on Win 7 as well. I had the previous version set to notify me of program updates but not download them automatically, so I went through the routine of uninstalling the previous version, rebooting, running mbam-clean.exe, rebooting and reinstalling at first install of 1.60 and have had no issues at all.

#70 JoshDunn

JoshDunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hello all. First, Happy New Year.

Second, I am here because a computer in my home will not run Malwarebytes. Install seems to work and can update from the install. However, I can't get into the actual program (i.e. I can't see the user interface). I've tried updating windows, but no change...... <_<

The PC in Question runs Windows XP SP3

Side Note: My laptop (which I am writing this post with) has installed and is running Malwarebytes no problem. The laptop is running Vista.

Is anybody else having this issue? :huh:
Much Thanks, JCD

#71 JoshDunn

JoshDunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

OK. Never mind. Cleaner worked for the computer. Thanks Forum gods!

#72 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

@JoshDunn
Kudos on getting a good XP-SP3 setup. Please tell me if your system is running with the Windows Firewall on, or, IF it has a 3-rd party firewall, in which case tell us the make and version number.

To your last question,

is anybody else having this issue?

Yes there are. There is a definite issue if running Checkpoint Zonealarm free edition, ZA version 10.1.079.00 for sure IF the MBAM Protection module is on. With the Protection module OFF, MBAM will run and will scan on-demand.
My understand is that the ZA conflict is not present on the ZA Pro or suite editions.

There are also issues with 'some' other 3rd-party firewalls, some of which cases can be resolved. For example, putting the firewall into "learning mode" and then doing a clean install of MBAM.
There are also issues with some antivirus apps and or security suites that include antivirus. Note I said some; not all.

Again, not everyone is having issues. Not every XP system is having issues (for example, I am able to both run MBAM on XP-SP3 with the Windows Firewall and do well. But, if I have the ZA free firewall running, the MBAM setup will freeze IF Start Trial is accepted.

This is intended to help and provide insight. I do not claim it is the definitive, end-all and be-all summary.
With that said, my view is that a goodly majority of upgrades have gone thru well.

#73 Larrya

Larrya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

I am also having problems with 1.60 version on any XP SP3 machine I install it in. Crashes starting up 100% of the time.

In order to get 1.60 to run, I had to uninstall, then run the cleanup program and then reinstall. This happened on 3 different XP machines. Looks like a problem with the 1.60 version uninstall routine for XP machines, as it installed without problem on Win7pro machines.

This bug turns the normally easy update into a pain. Hopefully a fix will be announced soon into the new year!

#74 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

@Larrya
What firewall is on your system? what antivirus? Using any security suites?

Did you have a chance to review my post here (just above yours here).

Happy New Year
Maurice Naggar
Product Support

staff.png

#75 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

I have the same problem after installing on an XP system. Never had an issue before. Could you repeat how I get the new upgrade working? I can do the uninstall but what is the "clean up" you and others refer to?

#76 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

Greetings :)

These are the instructions for performing a clean install:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#77 Twins4384

Twins4384

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:17 AM

We were fortunate that on our 3 PCs running Win xp sp3 the latest MBAM installed fine over the last edition. We are running it with Avast Internet Security using its firewall.

#78 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

Twins4384: Thank you for sharing that. Bravo.

#79 etwhite

etwhite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

@Rox829
In lieu of posting a problem-issue here in the Malware News section, you ought to have posted in the General MBAM forum
at http://forums.malwar...hp?showforum=41

Please follow this sequence for MBAM removal & re-install:
1) Go to Control Panel and Add-or-Remove programs.
uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Exit Control Panel

2) Logoff and restart your computer

Get, save, and then run the utility at the following link
http://www.malwareby.../mbam-clean.exe

3)Logoff and restart your computer again.

4)Now, reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You may download a fresh copy for the reinstall from the following link:
http://malwarebytes....am-download.php

If you have MBAM PRO (have a license) you will need to reenter your ID and Key afterwards to get the Protection module enabled.

IF the issue is not resolved, again, start a new Topic in the General MBAM forum
AND be sure to state your Windows version and service pack level
AND name/version of antivirus app
AND name/version if any 3rd-party firewall and /or security app that are active with Windows startup

Good luck.

#80 etwhite

etwhite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I was having the exact same issue on a Windows XP SP3 computer at my house. My other PC's also running XP had no issues with the update. I had tried uninstalling from the control panel and rebooting with no luck. System Restore also wouldn't fix the issue. It just would error out. Then I ran the steps Maurice mentioned that included the utility cleanup and that was the fix my computer needed. The utility cleaned up some stray files that prevented the reinstall from running properly. I put in the Pro ID and Key and I'm back in business!!! Thanks for the help..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users