Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. I think I'll give it a try although I don't feel like screwing with a computer all day today but you seem pretty sure. What anti -virus and firewall are you using?

I have dozens of computers running XP/SP3. Most have Windows Firewall turned on; Avast Pro latest version; Malwarebytes Pro. Some have other Antivirus instead of Avast and Malwarebytes Free.

All are working with MB v1.6 now after running the MBAM-Clean software.

The MBAM Team is looking at the ZoneAlarm issues.

In the mean time don't run without a Firewall.

Turn Windows FireWall on until this issue gets corrected.

That's what we needed to hear. Understood that surprises occur in development and that a clue is needed to speed up the fix. Now that you have it, we look forward to your fast response. We all know how effective Windows Firewall isn't!

Thanks folks!

The MBAM Team is looking at the ZoneAlarm issues.

In the mean time don't run without a Firewall.

Turn Windows FireWall on until this issue gets corrected.

I followed your instructions to the "T". Malwarebytes pro (registered) and Avast 6 free are now working. The problem is the new Checkpoint Zone Alarm- it won't start and when it does it freezes the computer. Please find a fix or give me the name of a free easy to use firewall that is compatible. Thank you - so far we are making progress. Only wasted 1 hr. today. Last night 3 hrs.:) While I wait for a response I am using the windows firewall and a web shield from Avast.

I followed your instructions to the "T". Malwarebytes pro (registered) and Avast 6 free are now working. The problem is the new Checkpoint Zone Alarm- it won't start and when it does it freezes the computer.

That sounds familiar....... :)

Leastwise, it seems we're getting closer to the crux of the biscut here.

I don't have Zone Alarm, so that can't be my problem. Had similar issues as everyone else though. Did the update to MBAM 1.6 to my desktop and program wouldn't run. Got the "Windows has encountered a problem" error, followed by "MBAMService has terminated unexpectedly -- see event log for details". Tried to do a System Restore to the previous day, hoping I could get my old MBAM back, but still wouldn't run. This time the error was "Runtime error 5' invalid procedure call or argument".

My setup is simple on both of my computers: Windows XP SP3, AVG 9 antivirus (free version), Windows firewall.

Thankfully, I hadn't updated my laptop to MBAM 1.6, so was able to copy some files from the MBAM directory there to my desktop and got that back to my original MBAM 1.5 (although the About tab still says it's version 1.6).

Meanwhile, I've unchecked "Download and install program update if available" under Settings in MBAM on both computers, so that it lets me continue to update database files without forcing me to install 1.6.

I've got my ID and key codes for the Pro version for both my computers if I have to uninstall and reinstall and use the clean utility program that's been mentioned, but I'll wait and see what the final word is before I do anything further.

I have a similar lockup problem on my Dell PC running Avira and an earlier version of Zone Alarm 4.5.594.0000. I see that Malwarebytes has updated on my other HP laptop. I won't reboot the HP machine. Is there any way to prevent the update from occurring.

I hope that this gets fixed soon.

Once again, I reinstalled the old version, after a clean-up, with ZA fully running !

No need to reboot, so I'd like to know now why the new version asks a reboot?

Hello HiSpeed,

When you run the clean, it requires a restart. When you install MBAM fresh after a clean or for the first time it does not require a restart.

This is the reason why you were not prompted for a restart on the second install.

Thank you.

And probably lots 'o people like me with the same problem, just nodding their heads, but not bothering to post about it - or not understanding enough about the issue to post about it. Just waiting for a fix. Or some kinda response. Hello.

You have that right! I was lurking too; this update was kicking my butt. I'm glad I came to the right place to research and am grateful that it's just not me. I'm running Windows XP SP3 with Zone Alarm (free), Norton Antivirus, & MB Pro. The update required a reboot, and that's when the problems started. Norton would disable, MB told me my updates were 3 days old, but I couldn't click on anything; frozen solid. Thankfully I had a backup method (laptop) and found this thread. I restarted the XP in safe mode and used Ccleaner to disable MB on startup and rebooted. Norton had been turned off, by MB I'm guessing since I saw it was disabled upon the frozen reboot. Now I'll be off to filehippo to find the older version, if that's doable. Guess I'll be bookmarking this thread to keep on top of this nightmare. Thanks everyone for the "support", and restoring my sanity, as much as can be expected ;)

Did you try running the Clean-Uninstall before installing the latest?

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

• Root Admin

I just zipped both dds.txt and attach.txt into one file.

I've also reported this to support.

dds - attach txt files.zip

@SirStrider ONLY!!

Your system appears to be infected or running an unknown hidden service file. Please follow the directions below to have someone assist you in detection and removal of possible malware.

Here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the
    directions here
    , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

• After posting your new post, make sure under
    options
    , you select
    Track this topic
    and choose
    Immediate Email Notification

so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE:

Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.
    • If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.

Or

• You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at
support@malwarebytes.org
or
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

PS: Please use the "Add Reply" Add-Reply.png button not the Reply button when you start replying.

• Root Admin

Okay, in reviewing now about 4 different threads of topics on this issue here are the observations.

1. With over 50 million downloads {edit - server admin tells me it was over 85 million this year alone} of our program this year and well over 1 million downloads of this update so far the amount of reported issues is very low.
  2. Most cases where an issue is not resolved is because the user has not run the mbam-clean utility as requested and rebooted, then installed the new version of the program.
  3. There was an issue with Avast but Avast has now corrected the issue on their end so update Avast if you're using Avast and still having an issue.
  4. There are a few users with Zone Alarm that are having an issue as well. Currently there is no available fix. If you wish to run ZoneAlarm you will not be able to use our Protection Module until a fix for ZoneAlarm is found. We are currently still investigating it. It seems that Privacy Firewall may also be exhibiting this issue and needs a fix or workaround as well
  5. Some computers are actually infected and the infection has probably prevented the update. In which case you need to seek help in the forum below to seek help with cleaning your computer.

If you're having an issue with the update and you're not running ZoneAlarm or Privacy Firewall then you must run the MBAM-CLEAN utility and reboot your computer. Make sure you tell or allow your Anti-Virus it's okay to run mbam-clean.exe

#1 Please do the following:

• After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

IF you are not running Zone Alarm or Privacy Firewall and the above clean procedure did not help you then you may well be infected. You can start by posting a set of DDS scan logs and we might be able to determine if you need further assistance in the HJT forum.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....
Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:
Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult
You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the
    directions here
    , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

• After posting your new post, make sure under
    options
    , you select
    Track this topic
    and choose
    Immediate Email Notification

so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE:

Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.
    • If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.

Or

• You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at
support@malwarebytes.org
or
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

PS: Please use the "Add Reply" Add-Reply.png button not the Reply button when you start replying.

Someone asked about free firewalls

Here's two free Firewalls. Please only choose one.

Just to let you know, my laptop with the Outpost free firewall (2009) had problems with the update. I used the mbam clean tool and reinstalled with Outpost set to Rules Wizard (learning mode) and that seemed to do the trick.

Did you try running the Clean-Uninstall before installing the latest?

For the record, following these steps worked for me. Thank you!

Windows XP SP3

avast! Free Antivirus

IObit Advanced SystemCare Pro

Windows Firewall + Cisco Linksys E1000 Wireless Router

Similar problem for me with the update to the new 1.60.0.1800 version.

BUT I am running XP Pro SP3 with Microsoft Security Essentials and Comodo Firewall with Defense Plus. After the update Malwarebytes free can not start but gives error messages. I uninstalled using RevoUninstaller and rebooted and ran Ccleaner and cleaned out some remaining registry entries. Then I downloaded the new latest version 1.60.0.1800 and did a clean install. But even after this clean install the same problem occurred with the program not starting up and giving some error message. So it is not ZoneAlarm or Avast that's causing these problems but this latest version of Malwarebytes which is faulty. I uninstalled the program and I'll watch for a fixed version before installing again. Please don't just look for some compatibility issue with ZomeAlarm or Avast the problem lies clearly within this latest version of Malwarebytes. I hope this info helps in resolving this issue.

• Root Admin

Similar problem for me with the update to the new 1.60.0.1800 version.

BUT I am running XP Pro SP3 with Microsoft Security Essentials and Comodo Firewall with Defense Plus. After the update Malwarebytes free can not start but gives error messages. I uninstalled using RevoUninstaller and rebooted and ran Ccleaner and cleaned out some remaining registry entries. Then I downloaded the new latest version 1.60.0.1800 and did a clean install. But even after this clean install the same problem occurred with the program not starting up and giving some error message. So it is not ZoneAlarm or Avast that's causing these problems but this latest version of Malwarebytes which is faulty. I uninstalled the program and I'll watch for a fixed version before installing again. Please don't just look for some compatibility issue with ZomeAlarm or Avast the problem lies clearly within this latest version of Malwarebytes. I hope this info helps in resolving this issue.

There are 49 individual posts that I was able to find (your post actually now makes 50) - those not resolved have been either no follow-up reply or they are using Zone Alarm. There is 1 post with Privacy Firewall. There was another similar post only with Outpost firewall and setting it to training mode seemed to fix for them.

As for Avast, yes it was an issue that Avast fixed very quickly once we reported it to them and it is no longer an issue.

The issue appears to be something to do with how the firewalls are probably binding to the network card. You may be able to review the settings in Comodo Firewall and check the logs and see if you can get Comodo to work with MBAM.

Please see the following post for more information on this issue.

Currently there is an issue with Zone Alarm and until a fix is found you will need to either disable the protection module in MBAM Pro or use another Firewall product.

We are currently investigating the issue with Zone Alarm. I will report this issue with Comodo to our QA department as well but if you can do some testing on your own and let us know if you do get it fixed and how that would be great.

Thank you.