41 replies to this topic

#1 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

I was updating MalwareBytes today and it downloaded a new version = 1.60.0.1800.
After the download, I coulnd't start MB. I tried to uninstall it and couldn't do that either. I finally found a MB program that cleans MB off the computer, which worked, thankfully.

Then I ran a scan and it came up with one "threat." I didn't get a picture of it because I closed the program, before I clicked on the "Fix It" tab.

Does anyone know what this might be? I googled and there seem to be many mentions of the Pum..., but nothing that I could understand.
Can anyone help?

Vendor: Pum.Disabled.SecurityCenter
Category: Registry Data
Item: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security\Security CenterDisabledNotify
Other: Bad: [1] Good: [0]

#2 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:45 AM

Greetings :)

This setting indicates that one of the monitoring functions of the Security Center has been disabled. Infections will sometimes do this, but some antivirus software and firewalls will do this as well since they monitor their own status (for such AV's/firewalls, this prevents you from receiving duplicate alerts when your AV is out of date or your antivirus or firewall is disabled).

If you would, please run another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and post the log in your next reply, once I see the entire detection, I can tell you which Security Center function was disabled and exactly what it means.

Also, please let me know what antivirus and firewall software you use.

Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

#3 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

Greetings :)

This setting indicates that one of the monitoring functions of the Security Center has been disabled. Infections will sometimes do this, but some antivirus software and firewalls will do this as well since they monitor their own status (for such AV's/firewalls, this prevents you from receiving duplicate alerts when your AV is out of date or your antivirus or firewall is disabled).

If you would, please run another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and post the log in your next reply, once I see the entire detection, I can tell you which Security Center function was disabled and exactly what it means.

Also, please let me know what antivirus and firewall software you use.

I will run the scan now. BUT, just wanted you to know - on my other XP computer the new version was automatically downloaded and I could not run MB. Same as my other computer. Rather than go through any more trouble, I deleted the NEW version of MB and installed my previous version and now it is working! Something appears to be 'wrong' with the new MB version any WinXP.

#4 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

I will run the scan now. BUT, just wanted you to know - on my other XP computer the new version was automatically downloaded and I could not run MB. Same as my other computer. Rather than go through any more trouble, I deleted the NEW version of MB and installed my previous version and now it is working! Something appears to be 'wrong' with the new MB version any WinXP.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2011.12.29.03

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Owner :: GOTARO234 [administrator]

12/29/2011 10:49:08 AM
mbam-log-2011-12-29 (11-15-05).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 175413
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#5 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

That detection indicates that the function in Security Center that notifies you about Automatic Updates being disabled has been turned off. If you made that change yourself, then you can safely have Malwarebytes ignore that detection, otherwise you can allow MBAM to fix it.

As for your issues with 1.60, please try the following, it should correct the issue:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#6 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

That detection indicates that the function in Security Center that notifies you about Automatic Updates being disabled has been turned off. If you made that change yourself, then you can safely have Malwarebytes ignore that detection, otherwise you can allow MBAM to fix it.

As for your issues with 1.60, please try the following, it should correct the issue:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

In Windows Security Center I have Automatic Updates turned OFF. Is that what you are referring to? I can then put that PUM "threat" in the MB "Ignore" section? Please advise.

(Regarding my netbook and not being able to run the new version of MB... I will wait a while before I do any more uninstalling and installing. I am content just to have the previous version working.)

#7 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

In Windows Security Center I have Automatic Updates turned OFF. Is that what you are referring to? I can then put that PUM "threat" in the MB "Ignore" section? Please advise.

To do this, perform a Quick scan and once complete, click on Show Results and then highlight the detection by clicking on it once and then click on the Ignore button. Once that is complete there should be no items remaining in the detections list, click on Remove Selected to complete the process. The item will remain as you have set it (to disable updates) and the item should no longer be detected by Malwarebytes.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#8 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

To do this, perform a Quick scan and once complete, click on Show Results and then highlight the detection by clicking on it once and then click on the Ignore button. Once that is complete there should be no items remaining in the detections list, click on Remove Selected to complete the process. The item will remain as you have set it (to disable updates) and the item should no longer be detected by Malwarebytes.

I am confused.
You say "click on Remove Selected to complete the process."

When I looked at the report of threat, it listed the PUM file. I highlighted it and then clicked on the "Ignore." It then went into the "Ignore List" section. I don't know what you mean by the "click on Remove Selected to complete the process." I don't remember doing that! I only clicked on the "Ignore." Did I do something wrong?
I just ran a scan and it no longer showed the PUM file.

#9 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

I am confused.
You say "click on Remove Selected to complete the process."

When I looked at the report of threat, it listed the PUM file. I highlighted it and then clicked on the "Ignore." It then went into the "Ignore List" section. I don't know what you mean by the "click on Remove Selected to complete the process." I don't remember doing that! I only clicked on the "Ignore." Did I do something wrong?
I just ran a scan and it no longer showed the PUM file.

Nope, you did nothing wrong, but normally if you don't click on Remove Selected at the end of a scan where an item has been detected (even if all items detected were ignored), it prompts you saying that Your scan results will be lost. Are you sure you wish to continue?.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#10 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Nope, you did nothing wrong, but normally if you don't click on Remove Selected at the end of a scan where an item has been detected (even if all items detected were ignored), it prompts you saying that Your scan results will be lost. Are you sure you wish to continue?.

I just ran another full scan and the scan results, once again, show that PUM Disabled "Threat," even though I put it in IGNORE.
Why is this happening?

(I've alreay uninstalled and installed new version, etc. I hope I don't have to uninstall again and reinstall, etc. The same thing is happening on my other WinXP computer - show the PUM again as a "Threat," even though it is in "Ignore!")

Have really spent a lot of time on this "PUM" problem and new version of MB not running. Uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.

#11 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

I just ran another full scan and the scan results, once again, show that PUM Disabled "Threat," even though I put it in IGNORE.
Why is this happening?

(I've alreay uninstalled and installed new version, etc. I hope I don't have to uninstall again and reinstall, etc. The same thing is happening on my other WinXP computer - show the PUM again as a "Threat," even though it is in "Ignore!")

Have really spent a lot of time on this "PUM" problem and new version of MB not running. Uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.

Please zip and attach your exclusions.dat file located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder. I need to have the developers take a look at this to determine why it isn't retaining your ignore list properly.

Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#12 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Please zip and attach your exclusions.dat file located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder. I need to have the developers take a look at this to determine why it isn't retaining your ignore list properly.

I am sorry. I am new at this and do not know what you mean by "Please zip and attach your exclusions.dat file located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder."

#13 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Open the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Within that folder you'll find a file called exclusions. Right-click on the file and select Copy. Close the folder and then right-click on your desktop and choose Paste.

Once that is done, right-click on the exclusions file now located on your destkop and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the file to your next post by using the Add Reply button. You'll see a Browse... button below where it says Attachments. Browse to your desktop and double-click on the exclusions zip folder you created in the previous step and click the blue Attach This File button. Once you're done, click Add Reply and the file will be attached to your post.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#14 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Open the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Within that folder you'll find a file called exclusions. Right-click on the file and select Copy. Close the folder and then right-click on your desktop and choose Paste.

Once that is done, right-click on the exclusions file now located on your destkop and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the file to your next post by using the Add Reply button. You'll see a Browse... button below where it says Attachments. Browse to your desktop and double-click on the exclusions zip folder you created in the previous step and click the blue Attach This File button. Once you're done, click Add Reply and the file will be attached to your post.

I've gotten to the part where the file/folder is on my desktop. When I right click on Send To, I get a pop-upo that reads: "For Compressed (zipped) Folders to handle ZIP files correctly, the application associated with them must be Compressed (Zipped) Folders. Currently this is not the case.
Do you wasnt to designate Compress (zipped) Folders as the application for handling ZIP files?"

Do I click on YES or NO?

This isn't going to harm my machine or make it malfunction, is it?

#15 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

You can click YES if you don't have another program, such as WinRAR handling zip/compressed files, if you do have such a program, then use that program to create the zip file instead.

This isn't going to harm my machine or make it malfunction, is it?

No this won't harm your machine or cause it to malfunction.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#16 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

You can click YES if you don't have another program, such as WinRAR handling zip/compressed files, if you do have such a program, then use that program to create the zip file instead.

No this won't harm your machine or cause it to malfunction.

Did that. Now where is that file?
Is this (attached) it?

P.S.
This is what shows after scan.

Posted Image

http://imageshack.us...9/mbthreat.gif/

I already clicked on "Ignore" and it does show in the Ignore section.

#17 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

No, it didn't attach the exclusions.dat file. The only item attached to your post is an image of MBAM.
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager

Posted Image

#18 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I wonder if this exclusion.zip attached is what you wanted?

If not, how do I attach. I clicked on the "Attach."

#19 alicez

alicez

Advanced Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

I browsed and found exclusions.zip on my desktop and went to "Attach Thyis File" in lower part of this thread and went to the desktop and attached the file "exclusion.zip."
Are you receiving it now?

Attached Files

#20 exile360

exile360

exile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

That's it, thanks :)
Samuel E Lindsey
Product Manager